Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,903,555 times

Advertisements

The guy who tries to spot me when I'm deadlifting. I keep feeling a strange poke and I'm starting to get uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM

7,091 posts, read 9,130,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I've never understood the gallon of water thing. A sports bottle cost $5. Maybe $10. And do you really need a whole gallon? Are you going to cross the Sahara after your workout?
You can buy the gallon for less than $2. A gallon seems excessive to me also. But then I'll drink out of the fountain. I usually just buy a pint-size water bottle at the store, then refill it with tap water for a couple of weeks.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,123,788 times
I have a few to add.

1.) People who are territorial about their "spot" in a fitness class. Um...your name's not on it, and us first-timers are just as entitled to attend that fitness class as you are. So shut up about your "spot" and get there earlier next time, or find a new spot.

2.) People who let their kids run wild around the gym.

3.) People who get judgmental about fat people at the gym. Fit people like us are always saying that fat people should exercise...then a lot of us judge them and stare at them and scorn them when they do!!!!! That's B.S.! I make sure to smile at them and greet them, I try to be as supportive as I can be without being a total weirdo. I used to be that fat newbie at the gym and I want to make sure that at least *I* am making them feel welcome and like they belong there. Because they do. Anyone who is a paying member "belongs" at the gym.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,828,399 times
I was at the gym yesterday and some lady was doing these weird leg swings in the stretching room. She was standing up, holding onto the door knob (blocking the door way) and swinging her leg back and forth over and over again. As I patiently waited for her to finish so I could ENTER THE ROOM(imagine that) and do some stretching, I saw one of the most unfortunate, yet hilarious things ever.

There was a younger woman sitting on the floor about 10 feet from leg swing lady. There was also a giant fitness ball slowly rolling closer and closer to leg-swing lady. As I realized what was about to happen I tried to spring into action but I was too late. Leg swing lady unknowingly kicked the fitness ball really REALLY hard and it careened straight into the face of the woman stretching on the floor. It was kicked hard enough that it bounced off her face and touched the ceiling!! I felt really bad at the time, but now that I think back I'm having a really hard time not busting out laughing. It's like something you would see on youtube or America's Funniest Home Videos!

Gym Pet Peeve: People who are COMPLETELY unaware of their actions at the gym. Hilarious consequences though.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,819,508 times
I canceled a gym membership a year ago. Partly due to cost and location, but also I got tired of my favorite classes being canceled, and replacing departed instructors with bad ones. If I cut that many classes during college, I would have flunked out.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM

5,470 posts, read 7,050,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The guy who tries to spot me when I'm deadlifting. I keep feeling a strange poke and I'm starting to get uncomfortable.

So why do you keep letting him spot you?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,439,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
1. No towel service
Absolutely. I hate that about my current gym. I go to the YMCA...other locations have towels...mine doesn't. I fail to understand the logic there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
2.) People who let their kids run wild around the gym.
Amen to that. I also can't stand when parents ignore the "No children under 14 on the cardio machines" rule. It always happens to me at the busiest time of day when all other machines are taken...and there's 2 8 year olds goofing around on an elliptical just so they can watch the TV that's attached. I'm all for kids staying fit, but ignoring the rules and being inconsiderate isn't cool.

Quote:
3.) People who get judgmental about fat people at the gym. Fit people like us are always saying that fat people should exercise...then a lot of us judge them and stare at them and scorn them when they do!!!!! That's B.S.! I make sure to smile at them and greet them, I try to be as supportive as I can be without being a total weirdo. I used to be that fat newbie at the gym and I want to make sure that at least *I* am making them feel welcome and like they belong there. Because they do. Anyone who is a paying member "belongs" at the gym.
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Gym Pet Peeve: People who are COMPLETELY unaware of their actions at the gym. Hilarious consequences though.
Too bad there's not a video of that. It would be on Tosh.0 for sure.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,098,228 times
Quote:
I've never understood the gallon of water thing. A sports bottle cost $5. Maybe $10. And do you really need a whole gallon? Are you going to cross the Sahara after your workout
The harder your routine, the more fluids you need to replenish what was lost. Let's be real, a sports bottle isn't going to do the job especially if you're intense like myself in your training. I use a gallon-jug of water or a mid-size jug of Powerade or Gatorade that has a capacity of 8-12 servings. That suits me fine.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,630,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
The harder your routine, the more fluids you need to replenish what was lost. Let's be real, a sports bottle isn't going to do the job especially if you're intense like myself in your training. I use a gallon-jug of water or a mid-size jug of Powerade or Gatorade that has a capacity of 8-12 servings. That suits me fine.
Why is it "your" pet peeve as long as you are not the one drinking it?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,439,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
In that case, I can see that. From what I've seen, however, the guys are just sipping at it. It has always come across to me as being more for looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness