U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,604,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Maybe you should complain to your gym that they need better equipment. What I mean is at our gym each cardio machine has its own sound box, you plug your earphones in and you can change the sound to one of the 4 channels playing on the tvs. There is a row of about 25 tvs to look at so nobody is interfering with anyone else's tv viewing. Your gym sounds behind the times. For music I use a Zen Stone which costs $46 at Walmart it is very tiny compared to the Zune.
Wow, why doesn't each cardio piece have its own TV? The ones at my gym do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 AM

582 posts, read 550,521 times
My BIGGEST pet peeve...people who grunt and yell while doing weights. You're not impressing me with how much you can lift. You're being obnoxious, so shut it.[/quote]

This. Reminds me of a story. I'm a night owl so I go to a gym open 24hrs, which I loved. They were close to a military base and hospital so there was always an interesting mix of people. Meet a lot of cool people. Anyways, I go one night, around 0330 and I head up stairs to cardio and start my workout. I'm in the spin room, all alone, with my ipod connected to the speakers when I hear a faint grunt. Thinking someone is hurt and my military muscle memory kicking in, I run to turn off the music and hear it again this time louder. I run downstairs and see this gentleman, I'll say, never seen him, 30-40, stocky looking dude, hootin' and hollerin' on the leg press machine with a whooping 115lbs. Total. Now call me stupid but thats lame. I looked over at the dude working the front desk and he's just shaking his head. I saw him a few times after and he'd do the exact same thing. I'm all for getting a good workout in and staying healthy and you can hoot and holler all you want but keep it inside.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 46,084 times
My biggest pet peeve is the guy who comes in and does not do any cardio or stretching and head straight to lifting heavy weights. Then proceeds to talk crap about everyone in the gym for doing cardio.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM

884 posts, read 732,912 times
This doesn't happen in the women's locker room, but my husband has reported that guys shave and/or blow dry their pubic areas!

Possibly ya'll won't understand my pet peeve: women hocking/spitting up in the showers! If they just quietly spit, of course I wouldn't know it. It's the hocking up sound, much like my cat spitting up a hairball. I can't believe women do this! I thought it was just redneck guys who would spit (after chewing tobacco), but it turns out that older Korean women (I live in an area that is heavily Korean) do it as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,899,217 times
My pet peeves are definitely when someone hogs a machine. Do your sets then get off of it. Dont do a set, then sit there until you are ready to do your next set. Do a set, get off of it, then get back on. There are probably others waiting to use that piece of equipment.

Another pet peeve is when people leave their sweat on a machine/bench. This is why towels are mandatory and are provided by the better gyms (Equinox). Wipe your sh*t off the equipment when you leave it.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:51 PM

18,099 posts, read 15,621,234 times
I have never once seen anybody, anywhere, leave a machine between sets. I've also never seen anybody throw a hissyfit over somebody resting between sets at a machine.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,899,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have never once seen anybody, anywhere, leave a machine between sets. I've also never seen anybody throw a hissyfit over somebody resting between sets at a machine.
I guess you have never been to a gym before huh? Never had someone "work in" their sets with you? Wow. Its common gym courtesy, everyone knows that. Maybe at Curves where you workout its different though. In normal gyms like Golds, LA Fitness, 24 HR Fitnes, Ballys, Equinox, people dont hog machines like that. Many times I let people work in their sets with me. I do my set, get off, they get on and do their set, after their set is done, I get back on to do my set. Rude and annoying when people do a set, then sit there on the machine, take a few breaths, then do another set, especially when others are there who want to use the machine as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM

18,099 posts, read 15,621,234 times
No, I don't work out at Curves (do they even have weight machines? It's been years since I even thought of Curves, but at that point, it was all circuit aerobics). I work out at a gym. I don't work out at a gym full of jerks, though. That's intentional...as is making the active choice not to go to an overly crowded gym. Nobody ever has to wait for machines.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 PM

64 posts, read 97,811 times
Quote:
This. Reminds me of a story. I'm a night owl so I go to a gym open 24hrs, which I loved. They were close to a military base and hospital so there was always an interesting mix of people. Meet a lot of cool people. Anyways, I go one night, around 0330 and I head up stairs to cardio and start my workout. I'm in the spin room, all alone, with my ipod connected to the speakers when I hear a faint grunt. Thinking someone is hurt and my military muscle memory kicking in, I run to turn off the music and hear it again this time louder. I run downstairs and see this gentleman, I'll say, never seen him, 30-40, stocky looking dude, hootin' and hollerin' on the leg press machine with a whooping 115lbs. Total. Now call me stupid but thats lame. I looked over at the dude working the front desk and he's just shaking his head. I saw him a few times after and he'd do the exact same thing. I'm all for getting a good workout in and staying healthy and you can hoot and holler all you want but keep it inside.
that's awesome.

my pet peeve is seeing guys in their "working out" with their girlfriends. neither of them are getting in a good work out at all, it's mostly the guy acting tough and the girl acting excessively "girly." they usually get in the way with all their prancing about.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,756,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm with you here. Pretty much everyone rests on their machines. I'm always happy to switch out and let people work sets, but generally I don't bother someone if I want to do a few sets on their machine. I would MUCH rather wait 5 minutes for them to finish up their sets than work in. I always feel rushed when working in sets, not to mention you have someone hovering over you and you sit in their sweat for 30 seconds at a time. Then if you want to really slow down some reps or take extra time with your set you hear "hey bro dude, are you done pumping yet bro?" Then you always run the possibility that the stranger you're working in with decides to coach you through your reps.

Sorry but I'm not your "bro, dude bro." I'll let you finish your sets first. There's always plenty of other ways to fill that 5 minutes that I'll be waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness