Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times

Advertisements

1) I saw a naked guy reading a newspaper once. Then when I finished my workout and went back to the locker room to change, he was still there reading.
2) Fat trainers! When a new NYSC opened in Bay Ridge, they hired anyone to become a trainer. This trainer had the biggest gut and trained people how to lose weight? I guess people will listen to anyone with a uniform.
3) Anyone wearing a winter hat (beanie) in the gym. Seriously why would you wear a winter hat when you'll most likely be sweating? It's usually the young kids who think it's cool.
4) People who throw the weights. I'm guilty of dropping it too, but in a controlled manor where they don't bounce. Some guys just throw it down and if someone were walking past them, would most likely get hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM

314 posts, read 817,070 times
The gym I go to has like 80% of its customers being over 65. It's a community gym in a part of town where there's a lot of retirees. I wish there was more eye candy to look at but I get these older men looking at me weird when I work out, maybe because I think they're all perverted. No one bothers me too much really, I just pop my headphones on and workout.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,696 times
I have belonged to several gyms over the years. Biggest pet peeves:

1. People sitting on machines playing with phones/ipods. Some of the guys also seem to think sitting on a machine watching ESPN is the same as actually working out.

2. People putting on lotion, getting the machine all greasy and not wiping it. If you don't want to wipe the machine wait until later to put on lotion. I hate when I can see a greasy vaseline-like imprint of someone's arms and legs on the machine pads.

3. Unattended children playing and/or climbing on the machines.

4. Children, especially boys, in the adult women's locker room, with mom. Yes, the no one under 18 sign applies to your kids, too.

5. Overly loud intrusive music of a genre that I dislike. I'd rather have no music than hear the same 15 techno songs every time.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
so today at the gym some guy was using equipment and was very sweaty. he leaves his sweat on the seat and moves on. i walked over to him and told him that he left it pretty sweaty and that he should wipe the sweat. he informed me that it is the next guys responsibility. i asked him if its other people's responsibility to clean up his sweat and he just said sorry and continued his workout.

i mentioned it to a trainer nearby and when the trainer went to clean it he took the cleaning stuff and cleaned it up. i felt weird "telling" on him but i didnt think he should just get away with that gross action and i didnt think its wise for me to be the one to keep confronting him on it.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post

Bro's: They generally travel in packs of 3-5 and occupy an inordinate quantity of free weights.
I just ran into the "bro" phenom recently. Two guys who took up all the benches available; working on two benches, and spreading their gear over the rest.

There are also people who park themselves at a machine, and just hang out there, without letting anyone work in, even when they're taking a prolonged rest. I finally asked one if I could do a quick set while he rested, and he refused!!! That's never happened before. Weird.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:42 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so today at the gym some guy was using equipment and was very sweaty. he leaves his sweat on the seat and moves on. i walked over to him and told him that he left it pretty sweaty and that he should wipe the sweat. he informed me that it is the next guys responsibility. i asked him if its other people's responsibility to clean up his sweat and he just said sorry and continued his workout.

i mentioned it to a trainer nearby and when the trainer went to clean it he took the cleaning stuff and cleaned it up. i felt weird "telling" on him but i didnt think he should just get away with that gross action and i didnt think its wise for me to be the one to keep confronting him on it.
you were absolutely right.

I think that gyms should put up signs about it because some people really think that it is the next persons job to clean their bodily fluids of the machines.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:10 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think that gyms should put up signs about it
Inconsiderate people ignore signs. Most gyms have signs that say things like "Don't slam your weights" and "Rerack your plates." How many gyms have you been to where the resident jerks give a crap about what those signs say?

Old 08-25-2015, 04:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you were absolutely right.

I think that gyms should put up signs about it because some people really think that it is the next persons job to clean their bodily fluids of the machines.
I thought it was really funny when the guy said that. I wanted to keep talking to him but I knew nothing good would come of it. could he really have believed that it's other people's responsibility to clean his sweat? maybe he realized his error and that's why he took the cleaning supplies and ended up cleaning up his sweat.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
How come everytime I walk into the locker room it will be empty. I then pick a locker and start to change, immediately some guy walks in and has to use the locker right next to mine. Never fails!

What's your gym pet peeve?
LOL---I know, man. It's one of the Murphy's Laws of Gyms. Empty lockerooms and the one guy that comes in is right next to you. Sometimes its just chance, bad luck. Like if they were already on the floor workin' out when you first got the locker. But if I am basically alone in the locker room and a guy comes in fesh from the street to change and gets a locker next to me, I flat-out just ask him, "Man, all this room and you're next to me. Why? I feel a little uncomfortable so maybe you could move it on over a little?"
This usually works.

As far as other gym pet peeves, now that I go to Planet Fitness I dont have too many since that Gym has rules against a lot of that old what they call "Lunk" behavior. We even have a Lunk Alarm! LOL. Also what is good as one of our rules, No cell phones on the floor. So no more little twit 19 y.o. girl yapping on her cell next to you on the treadmill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness