Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,470,236 times

Advertisements

You did realize that the strong majority of our public is overweight and will sympathize with the trainer with the weight issue?

Nonetheless...you were a dick that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,085,402 times
Thanks for all your responses. I guess there's no getting aorund the fact that the general consensus is that I acted like a jerk and was out of line.
Well, OK--I'll cop to that. I reckon I should've bit my tongue and realized that maybe she actually knew what she was doing with her clients, depsite her dumpy appearance.
The good news is that I now have a great New Year's Resolution: try to be abit more tolerant with those who don't posess the Adonis-like physiques that some of us have.
Thanks again for your opinions!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,361,713 times
Your resolution made you sound like a d*ck all over again. You're going to tolerate those who aren't in what you consider to be good physical shape. So big of you! Congratulations on your Adonis-like physique as it clearly means so much to you. Speaking as a pretty g.d. attractive woman, I'd trade a dude like you in a second for a dumpy guy with a modicum of human decency.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,999,239 times
Again, I reitterate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I agree with Onglet and Ohiogirl. If you had something to say to her, you could have at least said it to her face. Further, you could have been constructive about it, rather than making some snide comment like you did.

As Ohiogirl said, though, I don't really believe you are interested in hearing that what you did was quite unacceptable, whether she had the right to be a trainer or not. I think you are more about hearing yourself talk, and pat yourself on the back for being Mr. Fitness. If so, please move on and don't post anymore, or at least don't ask for people's opinions when you really don't give a flying fart about what they think.

Ian

Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 AM

17,028 posts, read 16,224,805 times
LOL. Good luck with your New Years resolution, Adonis, I mean OP.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,506,127 times
Yes, you were out of line. Being over fat is not a crime, nor a breach of standards for PTs. As I recall from my certification, the standards are knowledge-based. It's quite possible that her over-fat condition makes her more accessible to clients in the same situation.

As a trainer, you know that fitness is a level of physical conditioning and the endurance it provides. You have no license to judge others choices, only provide training as requested.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,638,935 times
One thing, there is nothing wrong with being suspicious of a fat trainer and asking for credentials as a result. Nothing whatsoever. The OP's mistake was in acting like a catty 15 year old girl rather than straight-up asking questions. If I am suspicious of a limo driver (for any reason whatsoever), there is nothing wrong with my asking about his license. I can ask a electrician about his license before allowing him to rewire my home. I'd ask for a doctor's credentials before allowing her surgery on me. And yes, I can ask a personal trainer about details of her certification. If this hurts her feelings, she should not be a trainer.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,505,029 times
And maybe this is why I've never been attracted to men with bodybuilder physiques. As a rule, they're very narcissistic. (Oh, did I wander in here uninvited and post a comment without knowing the OP at all? )

Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM

964 posts, read 3,152,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
One thing, there is nothing wrong with being suspicious of a fat trainer and asking for credentials as a result. Nothing whatsoever. The OP's mistake was in acting like a catty 15 year old girl rather than straight-up asking questions. If I am suspicious of a limo driver (for any reason whatsoever), there is nothing wrong with my asking about his license. I can ask a electrician about his license before allowing him to rewire my home. I'd ask for a doctor's credentials before allowing her surgery on me. And yes, I can ask a personal trainer about details of her certification. If this hurts her feelings, she should not be a trainer.
The op had no right as he is not the one paying for it. If whoever was paying for the training had a need to ask, I'm sure they would've ask. And still, just because a trainer is fat doesn't mean they can't be a good trainer. It's sheer ignorance to think that someone's appearance is a judge of their credentials and if anything, op's attitude makes me question his credentials(if he has any) than the trainer he's referring to in his post.

And for the record, yeah I called the OP a d*ck and I don't care. He's the type of people I despise when going to the gym - people who can't mind their own damn business rather than worrying about what someone else is doing at the gym.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,988,435 times
Yes he was wrong but I would never use a obese nutritionist nor would I use a fat trainer. I would however have an obese Chef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness