Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Not to say that this isn't true for most people, but if this was 100% true then explain thyroid disorders, metabolic syndrome X, and a whole slew of scientifically proven endocrine disorders...
oh yes, I'm sure the rising number of obesity rates is all because of the things you listed. Oh no, eating 3 square meals a day along with eating before bed, plus lack of exercise has nothing to do with it

Nope, I'm sure it's a new mutant gene going around that's making people fat.

On the serious side, you know what I am referring to. I'm not saying those disorders aren't a problem, but the main reason here is that people can't put the damn burgers and fries down and pick up a barbell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
"Doctor, I have been feeling insomniac lately"

*doctor does tests*

"It's genetics, there's nothing that can be done."

"Doctor my eyes, I have blurry vision."

*doctor gives eye exam*

"oh no, it's genetics. nothing to do but get a stronger prescription."

Point here is that every thing is blamed on genetics, but people fail to look at how sedentary our lifestyle has become.

Plain and simple, if your entire family sits on their asses and stuff themselves with food and you do the same, but don't exercise, then of course, you're going to get fat.

Genetics have NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to do with it. Your genes may determine your height and a few other things, but your weight and body composition, nah.

/rant
Genetics can have something to do with it in some cases. People with hypotonia (low muscle tone) may be unable to do some major exercises such as running/ skipping rope ect. They can also have issues with balance. Hypotonia can be inherited. I read the OPs first post and I know that she did not say wether or not this is the case with her. Two of my kids have congenital hypotonia and niether can run, jump ect and both have problems with balance. The youngest is nearly fourteen and severely autistic so even getting her to try is difficult at best. I would love for both girls to excercise more as the older one is quite overweight and the younger one is only slightly chunky but I am watching her weight.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
oh yes, I'm sure the rising number of obesity rates is all because of the things you listed. Oh no, eating 3 square meals a day along with eating before bed, plus lack of exercise has nothing to do with it

Nope, I'm sure it's a new mutant gene going around that's making people fat.

On the serious side, you know what I am referring to. I'm not saying those disorders aren't a problem, but the main reason here is that people can't put the damn burgers and fries down and pick up a barbell.
"Genetics have NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to do with it. Your genes may determine your height and a few other things, but your weight and body composition, nah."

When you make blanket statements and highlight "NOTHING" then no, we don't know what you are referring to. If I could read your mind I'd have quite the gift! Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 02-03-2011 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 PM

ok, I am not disputing that genetics isn't a factor, but people throw it out far too often as an excuse as to why people get fat. yeah, if you're going to eat nothing but crappy foods and do no exercise, then yeah you are going to get fat. the thousands and possibly millions being diagnosed as obese can not all be blamed for genetics.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 PM

81 posts, read 454,057 times
My daughter suffers from PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. We watched her put on weight without eating in huge amounts, and we saw her exercising daily yet the weight did not move. The doctor took one look @ her and and knew what was wrong. He had seen many cases of it but not in early teenagers, as many parents ignore the weight gain or label the child as been lazy and greedy. With PCOS the body produces too much of the hormone testosterone, causing that person to become large. Blood test and ultra sounds confirmed this. Added to that, she had a massive ovarian cyst that had to be removed immediately. If it wasnt for the weight gain which made her obese I never would have taken her to the doctor. Today she like many other PCOS women sufferers with weight issues amongst other concerns. Sometimes obesity can be a sign of a medical condition and the person may not be aware.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rado26 View Post
My daughter suffers from PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. We watched her put on weight without eating in huge amounts, and we saw her exercising daily yet the weight did not move. The doctor took one look @ her and and knew what was wrong. He had seen many cases of it but not in early teenagers, as many parents ignore the weight gain or label the child as been lazy and greedy. With PCOS the body produces too much of the hormone testosterone, causing that person to become large. Blood test and ultra sounds confirmed this. Added to that, she had a massive ovarian cyst that had to be removed immediately. If it wasnt for the weight gain which made her obese I never would have taken her to the doctor. Today she like many other PCOS women sufferers with weight issues amongst other concerns. Sometimes obesity can be a sign of a medical condition and the person may not be aware.
Has she been checked for Insulin Resistance? Usually PCOS and IR go handh-in-hand. IR can contribute to weight gain and difficulty losing weight.

IR can also lead to type 2 diabetes. If she isn't already seeing an endocrinologist, you may want to consider a visit.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I am not sure if this is really the right forum for this question. If it is, Mods please move it to the appropriate forum.

I have been overweight for the most of my life. Right now I am 5'5 and 250lbs. Most of the members of my family are overweight, on both my mothers and fathers side. Even my parents and older sibling is overweight. As a result, our metabolism is very, very low. My mother has worked out for years now and has lost very little weight. At least not to much to be noticeable. I myself have worked out and have lost very little weight if any at all. I felt slightly slimmer, but overall there was no noticeable change. Currently I have been getting back on my treadmill for 60 minutes daily and still have not lost weight. I absolutely HATE exercise so all in all, doing this everyday is really frustrating especially when I am not getting any good results. I have been doing this since January of 2010. I changed my diet, including going vegan, low calorie and cutting out my favorite junk foods. I still have no noticeable results.

So my question is, is this really genetic factors that explain why I am not losing weight? Should I just quit all together? I am really starting to lose motivation and have just decided to accept and embrace my body the way it is. Are there any faster, easier ways to lose weight?
I figure a person's physical "situation" is about 50% genetics, 25% exercise, and 25% diet. I'm basing those figures on nothing but almost 60 years of human observation mixed with pondering.

I think for some folks being slender is almost impossible. It would require a very restrictive diet. I know I wouldn't be able to stay on a radish-and-celery diet for more than a few hours. But exercise and a reasonable diet can limit the curse of a few unwanted genes. It's better to be a fairly healthy 220 than a sedentary, diabetic 380. Yes, it is best to be at one's ideal weight, but it is possible to be in good physical condition, and moderately overweight.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I figure a person's physical "situation" is about 50% genetics, 25% exercise, and 25% diet. I'm basing those figures on nothing but almost 60 years of human observation mixed with pondering.

I think for some folks being slender is almost impossible. It would require a very restrictive diet. I know I wouldn't be able to stay on a radish-and-celery diet for more than a few hours. But exercise and a reasonable diet can limit the curse of a few unwanted genes. It's better to be a fairly healthy 220 than a sedentary, diabetic 380. Yes, it is best to be at one's ideal weight, but it is possible to be in good physical condition, and moderately overweight.
In most cases it's more like <5% genetics, 60% diet and 30% exercise, >5% general lifestyle.

The blame people do on their genetics compared to how many weight problems that actually stem from genetic issues is INSANE.
Last time i checked OECDs statistics 68% of americans were overweight and half of them were obese.
I'll be you anything that way less than 1% of americans are stopped by their genetics.

The general white american has his ancestry in europe, and the general black population have their roots in africa. Neither of these regions are nearly as prone to obesity problems as the US. Genetics take thousands of years to change, and you nation was discovered hardly a blink of an eye ago measure in time for genetics to change.

Most European countries(according to OECD statistics from 2008) are not even up in half your overweightand obesity rates, ergo: extremely few of you can blame your genetics, unless a major part of Americans are very inbread with these genetic sicknesses.

You can have results or excuses, you can't have both. Now get off your ass get working if you want the former.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 AM

FINALLY, someone with common sense on the matter. The problem with America today is we're too damn fat and too damn gluttonous at the table when it comes to food. we've become so accustomed to the sedentary lifestyle that we're too lazy to do exercise to save our own health.

The amount of blame people put on genetics is preposterous. I mean if millions of people are mutating, then we must have a mutant gene outbreak or something.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
In most cases it's more like <5% genetics, 60% diet and 30% exercise, >5% general lifestyle.

The blame people do on their genetics compared to how many weight problems that actually stem from genetic issues is INSANE.
Last time i checked OECDs statistics 68% of americans were overweight and half of them were obese.
I'll be you anything that way less than 1% of americans are stopped by their genetics.

The general white american has his ancestry in europe, and the general black population have their roots in africa. Neither of these regions are nearly as prone to obesity problems as the US. Genetics take thousands of years to change, and you nation was discovered hardly a blink of an eye ago measure in time for genetics to change.

Most European countries(according to OECD statistics from 2008) are not even up in half your overweightand obesity rates, ergo: extremely few of you can blame your genetics, unless a major part of Americans are very inbread with these genetic sicknesses.

You can have results or excuses, you can't have both. Now get off your ass get working if you want the former.
Excellent post. +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness