U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM

2,929 posts, read 3,490,422 times

Advertisements

I don't buy into the "you have to eat breakfast or else" line of reasoning. I run 50-60 miles a week and have done so for 30 years. I weigh what I weighed at 18. I have never eaten breakfast in my life.

As for the OP, do you count your calories? I personally am skeptical that people are obese unless they eat WAY too much. I guarantee you, if you ate 1200 calories a day for a year, you'd lose 55+ pounds. Try that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,262,948 times
Genes and our DNA do indeed play a significant role in determining out body types. For example, two of the primary body types are the ectomorph and mesomorph, of the two which you fall into the first. So, yeah, it's most likely true that you're never going to be lanky or svelte or a marathon runner.
That being said, you can certainly make the most of the hand you were dealt by DNA by eating right and trying to get as much cardio exercise as you can. It sounds like you have in the past attempted this, but you also admittted that you loathe exercising. This is not uncommon. I feel the key for you might be to find an exercise or activity you actually enjoy, be it cycling, or swimming, or hiking in the woods, or playing frisbee, or what have you. It's been proven time and again that exercise is most efficient when the perosn actually enjoys it, rather than dreads it. This has to do with endorphins and other brain neurotransmitters which kick-in more effectively when the exercisee is having fun.
Drink plenty of water and aim to eat four or fiver small meals a day; cut-out most of your sugar and fat intake, and opt for high protein (lean meats) and complex carohydrates. Not simple carbs. (You can Google all this nutrition stuff if you need to.)
Never fast, or skip breakfast. Depriving yourself of a meal kicks the body into a sort of starvation mode where it then clings on to every possible fat gram and calorie it gets in the next meal, since it "thinks" it might not eat again for awhile.
Keep a positive attitude, know that you're on your way to improving your quality of life.
Positive affirmations are good.
If you have the wherewithall, consider hiring a trainer, at least for a month or so, to set you on the right track.
See your doc before undergoing any new fitness regimen or drastic diet change.
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 AM

965 posts, read 1,902,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I am not sure if this is really the right forum for this question. If it is, Mods please move it to the appropriate forum.

I have been overweight for the most of my life. Right now I am 5'5 and 250lbs. Most of the members of my family are overweight, on both my mothers and fathers side. Even my parents and older sibling is overweight. As a result, our metabolism is very, very low. My mother has worked out for years now and has lost very little weight. At least not to much to be noticeable. I myself have worked out and have lost very little weight if any at all. I felt slightly slimmer, but overall there was no noticeable change. Currently I have been getting back on my treadmill for 60 minutes daily and still have not lost weight. I absolutely HATE exercise so all in all, doing this everyday is really frustrating especially when I am not getting any good results. I have been doing this since January of 2010. I changed my diet, including going vegan, low calorie and cutting out my favorite junk foods. I still have no noticeable results.

So my question is, is this really genetic factors that explain why I am not losing weight? Should I just quit all together? I am really starting to lose motivation and have just decided to accept and embrace my body the way it is. Are there any faster, easier ways to lose weight?

Alright, I'm going to start by bolding everything that is wrong here and then responding do it below.

1. Losing fat =/= losing weight. When you work out heavily, best indicator of success is how your clothes fit, not by what a scale says. Scale is not really an accurate measurement of how much body mass you have. Don't worry about the scale. Worry about how your clothes feel on you.

And genetics have about as much role as you being overweight as everything else people blame genetics for.

2. Let me be the first to say, treadmills suck. They are the most common device and crutch people run to when trying to get in shape. Anyhow, it's not going to be easy, I can tell you that, but exercise doesn't have to be the same thing everyday. Skip the treadmill and find something you like. Like take a martial arts class, a dance class, something that'll get you moving. Better yet, if you wanna see how bold you can be...give HIIT a try. But exercising everyday is a no no. 3-day spread is a good start.

3. Rapidly changing your diet and dropping your caloric intake significantly is not the way to go. Crash diets don't work. My old motto is moderation, then elimination. Years ago, I had a big problem drinking a lot of sodas. And cutting them out right then and there wouldn't work since it'll only make crave them more. So what I did I limited myself to one soda in a can a day until I eventually started drinking every few days to stop drinking them period. Water water water.

4. Yeah, there are faster and easier ways. But they are not the best ways and some of them can be pretty dangerous(Tapeworm Diet).

Don't give up. You didn't get fat overnight, so you won't lose it overnight.

And no, genetics have little to do with why you are overweight. Excuse my language, but that's the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard. Genetics didn't cause you to get fat, so don't let that be a hamper on losing fat.

P.S. DON'T skip breakfast. There's a reason why it's called the most important meal of the day.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 14,149,500 times
Great idea(the video) but it's unlikely the OP is in good enough shape to do this. I would venture to say most people aren't in good enough shape to do this.

Your idea about the treadmill is great. I would also tell the OP to check out couch to 5K on coolrunnings.com.

You have to start out at your fitness level. For some folks that's doing exercises in a chair.

When I was heavy, I hated exercise so I understand where the OP is coming from. It's tough, and when you have more than 100lbs to lose it looks hopeless. It's true that diets don't work. It takes a complete lifestyle change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Okay, you started this post obviously wanting some help. Im here to help.

First of all, YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST!! If you are like me and really dont like to eat first thing in the morning, then you need to force yourself for your own good, for you own health!!! Bowl of Raisin Bran is fine.

Now, Im not sure how far you travel on the treadmill in one hour, but lets nix the whole hour thing. You dont need that. I estimate that you are doing about 4-5 miles in that hour at least. Now, lets cut to the basics. Tomorrow, or whenever you next step on the treadmill I want you to time yourself and JUST DO TWO MILES!! Take note of your time and this will be your benchmark. Whatever time you do, take note of it. You want to do the same two miles BUT FASTER the next time out. Each time you do it, you want to improve upon your previous time. Even if its just by a second, this means you are IMPROVING YOUR HEALTH AND FITNESS LEVEL which is MORE important than just losing the weight.

Now, in the morning before you get ready to go to work, and before you eat your Raisin bran, do this workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4e-dp97Jfc
Its called Tabata. Its 8 rounds of INTENSE work. Each round is 20 seconds of air squats followed by 10 seconds of rest. Have a pad and pencil close by and write down how many squats you are able to do in each of the 8 rounds. YOU MUST DO THESE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! DONT HALF A$$ IT. Add these up at the end and this is your SCORE. Same as above, you want to try to IMPROVE on this score every day you do this exercise. There is no equipment to use, no gym membership needed and you can do this even if you live in an apartment. After this, you WILL want that bowl of cereal.

Also, go to Borders or Barnes and Nobel and pickup a book on NUTRITION. DO NOT GET A BOOK ON DIET!!!! Get a book on proper nutrition and follow the plans and learn how to eat RIGHT. This is too detailed to post about here, so just pick up a NUTRITION BOOK.

Do this monday thru friday of every without missing a day for one month. Rest on Saturday and Sunday. Post here with your updates and I guarantee you by March 1st you'll not only feel so much better, but you WILL be down quite a few pounds.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM

5,213 posts, read 8,933,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I don't buy into the "you have to eat breakfast or else" line of reasoning. I run 50-60 miles a week and have done so for 30 years. I weigh what I weighed at 18. I have never eaten breakfast in my life.

As for the OP, do you count your calories? I personally am skeptical that people are obese unless they eat WAY too much. I guarantee you, if you ate 1200 calories a day for a year, you'd lose 55+ pounds. Try that.
It may be true that some people are more comfortable being up for a while before having the first meal of the day, but the OP said she eats only one meal a day. That's not a good plan. It's best to distribute food intake through the day, breaking it into at least three meals. Five or six smaller meals would not be a bad idea at all if you could schedule this.

I think Yellowsnow has a good point about whether some of the workouts recommended here might be too intense for SpeltCrystal at this point. However, to the degree possible, it would be a good idea for SpeltCrystal to aim for intensity to the degree she's able to handle.

I would also recommend mixing in a basic strength workout. Muscle mass ramps up the metabolism and helps burn fat.

SpeltCrystal, you said you worked out every day. If this is literally the case, another suggestion I'll make is that you take a day off from exercise each week. This will help you get a physical break from the exertion of exercise, and it should be psychologically refreshing to not be forcing yourself to exercise every single day.

Points others have made which I'll reiterate, because they are so important that they can't be over-emphasized:

Have a plan for exercise, rather than just an hour or whatever on the treadmill. Even if the workout LaoTzu recommended is a bit beyond you at this point, follow the advice to get as much intensity in your exercise as you can handle, and the advice to have a plan for improvement.

Find physical activities you enjoy for the activities themselves.

Especially important is to lose the idea of looking for a faster, easier way to exercise or lose weight. Exercising just long enough to lose some weight will result in putting the weight back on when you lose some weight and then feel it's okay to stop exercising. You're most likely to maintain good fitness consistently if you think of exercise and good eating as a way of life that you aim to live from now on.

Last edited by ogre; 01-27-2011 at 02:45 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,690,691 times
First, let me say that I do not believe everyone ought to be thin. I value you just as you are. But if you decide you want to slim down a bit:

You need to be eating waaaaaaay more than you are. You need to be going for low-calorie/nutrient-dense foods. Five to eight small meals a day is the diet regimen bodybuilders use for getting 'ripped' for a contest. And don't go entirely fat-free. Get a thingie that sprays a fine mist of oil onto your (hopefully raw) vegetables and fruits.

Print out several versions of the Glycemic Index. Keep reviewing it, until that knowledge is second nature. And become accustomed to the idea of Glycemic Load. Again, make the Glycemic Load of foods part of your basic knowledge.

Go to whfoods (World's Healthiest Foods) and read up on the world's 100 healthiest foods, to see which are the most nutrient-dense, etc.

Get out the Pepper Mill, and fill it with a really good Pepper Blend (Old Thompson Pepper Supreme is great, but your local health food co-op probably has super-fresh pepper blends in bulk, too). Fill another Pepper Mill with Coriander. Become an absolute MAVEN on the subject of herbs and spices. These are full of wonderful nutrients/phytochemicals, and are generally calorie-neutral.

The trick is to get an optimal nutrient flow, while restricting your calorie intake....but eating really delicious...even thrilling...foods. If you are nutrient deprived, your body will respond by storing fat. If your nutrient flow is ideal, then your body switches from Survival Mode to Enhancement Mode.

And learn what to avoid. Stay away from artificial sweeteners. They interfere with the body's ability to regulate itself. Try Stevia, instead. Stay away from MSG, for the same reason. And avoid Simple Carbohydrates like the plague. Alcohol, Sugar (by all its many names)...even cooked fruits and pasteurized fruit juices... These are the enemy. Learn the code names for Sugar and MSG. And try to avoid processed foods.

Raw and steamed green vegetables should constitute the bulk of your diet. Chard is my personal favorite (lucky me: it's also the 'Valedictorian of Vegetables'...full of a wide range of beneficial things, but with few calories), followed by Broccoli. Just don't forget that fine mist of (cold processed) oils. Use a range of them, for balance....just in moderation, and never heated. Add oils at the table.

As for exercise, I think you need major time in the Swimming Pool. Ignore people who are telling you that your exercise has to be strenuous. Maybe later. First, go for duration. An hour of moderate pool exercise will work wonders. Otherwise, I think you need strength training. Lifting weights has a number of positive effects. I think you need to build basic strength, before your aerobic workouts become too intense. Repetitive Stress Injuries are far less likely, if your muscles are strong.

And get into Yoga. Flexibility is as important as strength, IMHO. Yoga really rounds out an exercise regimen. You learn relaxation techniques....so much to be gained...

Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM

19,022 posts, read 14,279,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

Did you say in the other thread you're 5 9 and 133 pounds??

Hope the wind doesn't blow too hard and breaks you, bro

Old 01-27-2011, 07:54 AM

17,834 posts, read 15,294,295 times
Whether or not you're a breakfast eater, you're doing your system no favors by eating once a day.

Also, anybody, pending severe disability that hinders mobility in a big way, can be fit, regardless of their body type or shape.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,662,334 times
If anything, skip dinner if you are gonna skip any meal.

I do know people who retained a lot of weight despite eating the same amount as I do (or less) and working out daily. I've been to the gym with them and I can't even keep up. I know they don't eat that much because I've gone on long trips with them. Even though I don't have this weight problem, I do empathize with you because I see their struggles. Unfortunately you will need to find your calorie point. For example, I would need to go down to 800 kcal/day if I really wanted to lose weight, and my metabolism is pretty fast for not working out at all... basically 3 fist size servings of steamed vegetables and lean meats spread throughout the day. The vegetables would be the carbs.

I know people who eat one meal a day, work out extensively, and do not lose weight until they got their hormones adjusted. I'd first try modifying your diet and maintaining current workout. Then maybe seek a second opinion. You might be a bit imbalanced in your thyroid or progesterone:estrogen ratio. You might also want to seek western medical opinions on this issue and if they don't find anything, look to eastern or homeopathic medicines.

You might as well find some types of exercise you like... you are doing the right thing by maintaining cardiovascular health. I would not give that up!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

7,607 posts, read 8,017,214 times
You've gotten lots of good advice so far. I agree that you need to do more than the treadmill, but the Tabata workout may be too difficult right off the bat. You do need to add some weight work if you want to burn some fat.

I suggest that you check out one of the online calorie counters that are available--my favorite is spark people dot com--and log every bite that goes into your mouth. You can buy a food scale at Target or Walmart so that you know you're being accurate. It will feel like a bunch of work at first, but it will get easier. When I did it was shocked at the amount of calories I was consuming.

While it would be great to find an exercise that you love, even if you don't, you still need to exercise. I have to fight myself every morning to get out of bed, but I do it. I don't love the exercise, but I love finishing every day and I love the results. You will too.

How often do you eat out? Give yourself a set time period, like a month, and try to limit eating out to once a week. That includes grabbing a bagle or taco and eating out with co-workers at lunch. I guarantee you'll consume fewer calories if you're eating a homemade turkey sandwich, pretzels and a piece of fruit than if you're going out for pizza or a burger.

If you drink soda, stop. No regular or diet. Just drink water, coffee or tea, with a bit of real sugar.

If you keep your calories in the 1,200 to 1,500 range, exercise, including cardio and some real resistance training 5-6 days a week, and after a month still haven't lost weight, you probably need to see a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness