Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times

Advertisements

So p90x keeps touting the benefits of their own "recovery drink" but the only place you can buy it is online and it's $50 (not including shipping) for a 30 day supply.

What else can I use instead of their brand? The goal is to gain muscle, lose fat and overall lose weight.

Also, would this replace a meal or snack through the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
some kind of protein/carb mix would be fine. the difference between plain table sugar and something a little more fancy like waxy maize im sure is insignificant. i just do a scoop of whey protein (80% concentrate/20% isolate) that i buy at costco.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Milk... It has everything you need. I drink two cups of milk within 15 minutes after working out.
Why Milk Is The Ultimate Post Workout Food | StrongLifts.com

Protein powder is a waste of money.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Milk... It has everything you need. I drink two cups of milk within 15 minutes after working out.
Why Milk Is The Ultimate Post Workout Food | StrongLifts.com

Protein powder is a waste of money.
Well, your answer is flawed on both counts. Firstly: the OP was asking about a recovery drink, not a pre-workout drink like the two cups of milk you mentioned before working out. (Also, that's a bit too much liquid to have sloshing aorund in your stomach during a workout, anyway).
Secondly: protein powder is not exactly a waste of money, if used correctly. Whey protein can certainly aid in building and repairing muscles at the cellular level.
Anyway, to address the OP's question about a recovery drink: No--you don'thave to shell-out anywhere near $50. A simple homemade smoothie with milk, an egg or two, some honey, fruit, and protein powder is all ya need! Or you can just opt for a glass of chocolate milk, and maybe a banana or two. Studies have shown that eating or drinking something sweet after a workout is effective at helping rebuild muscle and also helps dissipate lactic acid pooling, which is what makes us sore the next day.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
So would a glass of skim milk with Ovaltine mixed in do it? That's what I've been doing but wasn't sure if that was sufficient. The ovaltine has sugar in it but it's got some added vitamins and minerals too.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Get a decent protein powder and mix it with coconut water (NOT coconut *milk*). Protein and electrolytes all in one drink.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
chocolate milk

Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Chocolate milk is a good, but for the longer term I found the following recipe on the P90X boards as an alternative to the expensive recovery formula.

Within 15 minutes of working out take a glass of water and add:

1 scoop of FULL SUGAR powdered Gator aid
1 teaspoon FULL SUGAR Tang
1 tablespoon low fat powdered milk.

Mix together and voila!
A lot of P90X'ers use this mixture and it works great and is very inexpensive.

I follow it up with a breakfast of oatmeal, berries and 1 scoop protein powder.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
A recovery drink is only necessary when you do prodigious amounts of exercise in one day. I will drink one after I do a rim to rim at the Grand Canyon, but that's 24 miles in 8 hours with 6200 feet of elevation gain. You might want one after a marathon. But for everyday exercise? No way.

Same with electrolyte drinks. If you're vigorously exercising for 2 hours, then sure. But it's just empty calories for something like an hour on the elliptical.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
A recovery drink is only necessary when you do prodigious amounts of exercise in one day. I will drink one after I do a rim to rim at the Grand Canyon, but that's 24 miles in 8 hours with 6200 feet of elevation gain. You might want one after a marathon. But for everyday exercise? No way.

Same with electrolyte drinks. If you're vigorously exercising for 2 hours, then sure. But it's just empty calories for something like an hour on the elliptical.
You are biased from being an endurance athlete, and of course recovery drinks are not a high priority after an everyday workout, but rather after a long rigorous feat like the grand canyon thing.

However when it comes to lifting weights and building muscle you will want something after each session. I'd go for approximatly 25 grams of protein along with 50-150 grams of carbohydrates depending on how your workout sessions looks like. if they last less than an hour about 25 grams of protein and twice that of carbs should do it.
If you get this through milk you'll need to drink almost a third of a US galon.
I'd buy a protein powder and a maltodextrine(fast carbs) powder at bodybuilding.com. basicly you take one scoop of protein and two scoops of maltodextrine when you build muscle and only protein when you are ridding fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness