Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,609 times

Advertisements

You should not try to gain weight simply by eating more. It becomes ugly weight. You want to add attractive weight. To do that you need to eat more but you need to do strength training too (this is even more important for guys). If you just eat more, you become a fat-arse. Is that the type of look you want?

Also do not try to gain weight too fast, it gives you stretch marks around your neck, thighs, knees, etc. Don't add more than 0.5 lbs per week if you're under 120 lbs. These marks are permanent and become more conspicuous later in life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I'm going to revive this thread because I don't want to make another one. Yesterday it just occur to me that I am losing weight because my jeans were kind of loose on my hip...I guess it didn't really hit me until a couple days ago why I am always losing weight faster than a person who wants to lose weight. I was on the verge of crying because I can never gain over 95 which it is very, very frustrating. My goal is 100-105 (safe side). I just check my weight today and I'm back to 85 where I started off. I think I mentioned a while back that whenever I'm on break I tend to lose weight faster than when I'm in school. I don't look like I'm sick either because I'm tiny for a woman so it seem to balance me out.

Like many of you said, it's all about diet and nutrition. However, do I always have to buy them to keep my weight constantly? Because I'm losing money if I am going that direction. I bought some multi-vitamins a couple months ago, and it really helped me to gain weight. I bought One A Day Women's, but I stop taking it because it has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. I also stop taking it because it was making my stomach upset which I almost vomit. My question is what are some good multi-vitamins to take and that are acutally evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration? I'm guessing anything will work?

I was wondering what types of food will definitely help me to gain some weight? I'm Asian so I eat a lot of white rice. I know rice affect some people because of the carbs, but it doesn't really make any difference to me since I'm so used to eating it. I'm not sure if you would count walking as exercise, but there are days where I would walk for 2 hours. I used to work out but not anymore. I think I might have to start working out this Spring again. Gaining weight is SO frustrating and so hard. Sometimes I just really don't want to care anymore.
I know this was a hijacked post, but in case the poster comes back...

I've never heard that multivitamins will help you gain weight. They will give you nutrients that you may not get from your diet, but how they would make a person gain weight I just don't know.

Eat healthy forms of protein, fats, carbs, veggies, ect. Like other posters have said - eat more calories than you burn, just eat healthy calories.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
If you're going to focus on upping your calorie intake, you might want to make sure that you're upping it with foods that provide more nutrients, in addition to calories. If you're taking in the calories, why not get something useful out of them?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I know this was a hijacked post, but in case the poster comes back...

I've never heard that multivitamins will help you gain weight. They will give you nutrients that you may not get from your diet, but how they would make a person gain weight I just don't know.

Eat healthy forms of protein, fats, carbs, veggies, ect. Like other posters have said - eat more calories than you burn, just eat healthy calories.
I don't know but I think I took them with my meals so it helped me to gain weight a little bit. I just assumed that they are doing their job.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
It's Miranda. And I'll be 17 in August...
Apologies for the assumption, Miranda.

The truth is, that it may be very hard (and possibly unhealthy) for you to force yourself to gain weight at that age, without adding muscle mass.

My recommendation is to simply be happy with the way you're currently built.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaPanda♥ View Post
Okay, here goes...

I know this sounds weird, because people usually say just the opposite.
Maybe it's because of genetics or high metabolism, but I've always been skinny! I'm tired of it.

I'm 5'7 and 112 lbs. Which is weird to me because I spent like 5 months eating crap and all I gained was 1 pound. I do work out, I do pilates atleast twice a week, I eat all my meals, and I eat snacks! Hell, according to my friends I have the mind of a fat person(no offense to anyone)

Is it the metabolism? Is there a way to slow it down? I just want to put on maybe 5-10lbs.
be careful what you wish for, I used to be 6ft 4 and 170 pounds when i I was in my early 20's, now im 225 pounds, so much bigger. Its mostly muscle BUT I have to now be careful what i eat because if i dont I get chubby, something i never had to worry about before. Honestly the difference is eating, I used to think I ate a lot but compared tm my appetite now, there really isnt a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness