Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've just checked 5 websites on health - from the government health site, to Weight Watchers, a "diet product" site, and a healthy lifestyles site not affiliated with an organization or product. Out of those five, four of them include 150 pounds in the high end of normal weight for a height of 5'4". Out of those five, NONE of them include 110 for the low end of normal weight for that height.

The OP is trying to get thinner than is considered normal. She IS within the range of normal, albeit on the heavier side of normal, for her height. If she wanted to lose 10 pounds, or even 15, to get closer to the "median" of a normal range, then it wouldn't be a big deal. But she doesn't even care about muscle, as you've seen in her above post. She is obsessed with being skinny, regardless of what is healthy, normal, or even attractive. She is also obsessed with doing it "now" (for this casting call, she says).

Her goal is not realistic, it is not healthy, and it is not healthy to encourage someone like that to lose weight. What IS healthy, is to encourage her to seek counselling for her unhealthy body image and weight obsession.
What is considered "normal" these days is skewed high because everyone is so darn fat these days. (As an example I am 2 inches taller than the OP and weight 20 pounds less... and I lift weights to boot.) The OP is overweight and is wise to do something about it now. To suggest that she see a counselor is straight-up ridiculous, and leads me to believe you are seeing your own body and choices in the the context of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
i've been so obsessed with weight loss lately b/c i'm trying to get thin for this casting call but its taking forever? I watch what i eat, exercise vigorously to the point i get light headed and about to pass out.... How can i stop being so obsessive about my weight? besides seeing a therapist they are no help!
In case you missed it onglet, this is the OP. The OP exercises until she is dizzy and about to pass out. The OP admits that she is obsessed with losing weight. The OP wants to lose 40 pounds NOW, for some casting call (even though she posted the same desire to lose 40 pounds "now" a couple weeks ago, so I have to guess either there is no casting call, or the casting call is already over).

The OP doesn't ask how to lose weight. The OP asks how to stop being obsessed with losing weight. The OP claims that therapists are no help - which indicates that she has tried therapy for her obsession.

I'm saying - that if she really is obsessed, as she says she is, and if she really is exercising to the point of fainting and dizziness, as she says, and if she really does want to lose 40 pounds to get from one extreme of normal to the opposite extreme of normal in a short period of time..

Then she doesn't need to be dealing with her diet. She needs to be dealing with her mind. There is something wrong with her mind, that is causing her to obsess, to exercise to the point of lightheadedness, to poor dierary habits (as evidenced in another thread of hers in the health and wellness folder about the exact same thing), and her insistence that she lose that much weight in a short period of time.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
In case you missed it onglet, this is the OP. The OP exercises until she is dizzy and about to pass out. The OP admits that she is obsessed with losing weight. The OP wants to lose 40 pounds NOW, for some casting call (even though she posted the same desire to lose 40 pounds "now" a couple weeks ago, so I have to guess either there is no casting call, or the casting call is already over).

The OP doesn't ask how to lose weight. The OP asks how to stop being obsessed with losing weight. The OP claims that therapists are no help - which indicates that she has tried therapy for her obsession.

I'm saying - that if she really is obsessed, as she says she is, and if she really is exercising to the point of fainting and dizziness, as she says, and if she really does want to lose 40 pounds to get from one extreme of normal to the opposite extreme of normal in a short period of time..

Then she doesn't need to be dealing with her diet. She needs to be dealing with her mind. There is something wrong with her mind, that is causing her to obsess, to exercise to the point of lightheadedness, to poor dierary habits (as evidenced in another thread of hers in the health and wellness folder about the exact same thing), and her insistence that she lose that much weight in a short period of time.
Whether she has mental issues, I don't know and don't care as I am not entertained by playing Armchair Therapist. (I will admit that I like playing Armchair Personal Trainer from time to time.) I will leave that up to you and other people who like to analyze forum posters.

The OP is indeed fat, make no mistake about it. As I said before on this very thread, she needs to learn how to do it the right way. I stand behind that 100%.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Agreed, although they're not too far off.

Search by Height, Weight - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

Most of those women can stand to lose a few pounds.
Thanks for posting this link! That is pretty neat and I would say pretty accurate (I checked my own height and close to my weight).

I thought I'd get to 140 and see what I look like/feel like but after checking out 130 in those pics I think that's the weight I'd prefer (again, I'll have to judge it when I get there though, it may look a little scrawny on me).

Right now I'm 155 and 5'4". Granted the OP weighs 5lbs less than me, but she is overweight, though not by much. I believe mid 140's is the upper end of the weight range.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
So tell us onglet, how does a 5'4" 150-pound woman who exercises until she's dizzy and is upset about gaining muscle mass, who wants to weigh 110 pounds, do so in a short period of time, so as to make a casting call requiring a "thin" person?

I'm itching to know what is the "right" way for her to lose 40 pounds in just a few weeks.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
I'm itching to know what is the "right" way for her to lose 40 pounds in just a few weeks.
I have some ideas, but the moderators might be unhappy with me.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So tell us onglet, how does a 5'4" 150-pound woman who exercises until she's dizzy and is upset about gaining muscle mass, who wants to weigh 110 pounds, do so in a short period of time, so as to make a casting call requiring a "thin" person?

She *can't* lose that much weight in a short period of time in a manner that is healthy and long term. This isn't rocket science ya know. She is a chubby girl who has to understand that weight loss comes at a slower pace, shows like Biggest Loser has no bearing on reality. Slow and steady is THE right way.

I am curious, why are you so emotionally invested on this thread; why are you so desperate for people to agree that the OP has mental problems? What is in it for you?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Oh one thing to add - if there is a casting call that she really wants to appear thin for, and wants to shred the fat as a short term goal, it's possible depending on the time she has available. We need an itemized list of exactly what she eats and how she works out to put together a plan.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 PM

326 posts, read 813,758 times
the casting call is in a couple of months and why must i have mental issues if i want a banging body?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 PM

326 posts, read 813,758 times
@ongletNYC thanks for having my back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness