Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Using them and working them are 2 separate things. Many people "use" their arms and legs everyday but don't see muscle tone or growth. You have to work and train them properly to see the difference.
What I'm saying is that is why they stay sore. Even if you're not putting the muscles through strenuous use, you're still using them. Not necessarily the case with arms, but your legs support your body weight as you're walking around--so they're being used more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
The soreness that you feel in your muslces after a strenuous workout is due to micorscopic tears in the muslces tissue and in the fascia that covers them. Since the quadriceps in the upper legs are the largest muslce groups in your body, it stands to reason that those tiny tears are a bit larger than in those in a smaller mucle group. Thus, it stands to reason that it takes a bit more time for them to heal.
Lactic acid buildup is another reason for soreness in muscles, and the same reasoning applies: larger muscles=more lactic acid build-up=longer recovery time.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I would consider getting CW-X tights, or shorts if you are having this issue. They work great and reduce lactic acid build-up amongst many other things. I am an avid runner and won't run a Marathon without them because they speed up recovery. In addition, making sure that every workout/run ends with a glass of chocolate milk helps too! Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:41 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
stretching is just a trick for personal trainers to kill some time and touch girls. its benefits are extremely limited. im not saying dont do it, but lets not glorify it and spend 10 minutes doing it.
I am always amazed when people speak so definitively even though it is obvious that they don't know what they are talking about. Well done.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I am always amazed when people speak so definitively even though it is obvious that they don't know what they are talking about. Well done.
yeah, people that do that bother me also.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
yeah, people that do that bother me also.
How do you groom yourself in the morning when you obviously have no mirrors in your home?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
How do you groom yourself in the morning when you obviously have no mirrors in your home?
i think anything is possible. if somebody who pushes stretching 4-5 different muscles for 45 seconds each can consider themselves some kind of expert on exercising, i can groom myself without mirrors.

i dont really have a strong opinion on stretching but seriously soreness shouldnt be an issue if you are exercising regularly. its funny when people start going to the gym and want to talk about soreness all the sudden.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
i think anything is possible. if somebody who pushes stretching 4-5 different muscles for 45 seconds each can consider themselves some kind of expert on exercising, i can groom myself without mirrors.

i dont really have a strong opinion on stretching but seriously soreness shouldnt be an issue if you are exercising regularly. its funny when people start going to the gym and want to talk about soreness all the sudden.
Plenty of experience with soreness. I've logged my time on athletic fields and races and in gyms.

But my legs? Holy cow! Doesn't feel like microscopic tears...it feels like rips. Rips that want to be left alone. Rips that take a long time to heal up.

I am gettin older and started noticing the adverse affects. Some of my best lifts were done in my early 40's. The early 40's may be good years athletically.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:43 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
stretching is just a trick for personal trainers to kill some time and touch girls. its benefits are extremely limited. im not saying dont do it, but lets not glorify it and spend 10 minutes doing it.
I've recently read several articles that are reporting that there isn't a proven benefit to stretching but I know that for me it helps me run faster and makes them feel better when they are sore.

I have the opposite problem of the OP in that my arms get too sore when I lift weights. Sometimes I can barely lift them the next day.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I'll tell you a simple trick I learned after running marathons: after strength training or cardio on your legs, lay down and elevate your legs above your heart for 5 minutes. This flushes out the waste products in your legs and the difference the next day is amazing.

Try it for yourself and see. It reduces soreness by at least half the next day for me and countless others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness