Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 11:51 AM

310 posts, read 1,699,853 times

Advertisements

Went from 155 lbs 1st week of January down to 148 lbs this morning, March 17th, 11 weeks later! Really happy about this-- especially since last year it took me so long, almost FIVE MONTHS from April to Sept, to lose 8 lbs!! (from 160 lbs to 152 lbs) BTW, I'm female, in my mid-50s & just 5'2".

Last year during those 5 months I was eating similar to how I'm eating now (keeping track of daily calories, averaging 1500 cal/day, lots of veggies/fruits, mostly high-fiber, low-fat foods, keeping portion sizes small.) Plus last year during that time, I was walking 5 miles 2 or 3 times/wk, biking, playing singles tennis 4 - 5 days/wk. Yet I lost weight VERY SLOWLY even though started at a higher weight last year.

The difference this year? This year I started doing weight training! Even though doing lighter weights, more reps, probably increased my muscle size? Since early January, I've been going to the gym (YMCA) for exercise classes-- weight training, yoga, zumba, etc. Trying lots of new things, lots of variety, recently started Tai Chi, went to a Turbokick class (for about 10 minutes) and even considering trying a bellydancing class. Been trying to shock my muscles, shock my body into losing weight!! Added tennis (my first love) about a month ago when weather improved here in NC, now playing about 3 - 4 days/wk for 90 min - 2 hrs each time. Still doing biking, still doing walking, just not as much.

So it seems that I cut back on cardio & added weight training, along with other varieties of exercise. Results-- Firmed up, lost inches, lost bulges at the side of my hips, clothes fitting better, much quicker running down balls on the tennis court and maybe my metabolism is better due to increased muscle? Maybe finally burning calories at a higher rate? Just 18 lbs more to go to be at 130 lbs, my goal weight is in sight!

Hope everyone else is having a happy St Patricks Day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
So it seems that I cut back on cardio & added weight training, along with other varieties of exercise. Results-- Firmed up, lost inches, lost bulges at the side of my hips, clothes fitting better, much quicker running down balls on the tennis court and maybe my metabolism is better due to increased muscle? Maybe finally burning calories at a higher rate? Just 18 lbs more to go to be at 130 lbs, my goal weight is in sight!
Correct. The higher muscle mass gives you a higher metabolism, which in turns leads to burning calories more efficiently.

Congrats, and keep up the good work!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM

306 posts, read 451,468 times
Exactly. I found out too that adding weight training helps a lot.
Congrats and keep up the good work!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Congrats!!! If you love the weight loss effect from building muscle, wait til you see the change in your body measurements!

If you haven't been doing measurements, START! Such a boost to pull the tape measure just a bit tighter each time

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,644,913 times
Good job Newbie 09!
I have to add I have lost quite a bit of weight lately too, my doc was wondering how or what I was doing to lose almost 30 pounds in 4 months...well, Ill tell you, I stopped eating most meat, now I eat chicken and turkey, and lots of fish. Not too much junk anymore and lots of veggies. I also been hiking more like I used to, oh and did I mention now that I have a serious guy we have sex like crazy?(and we met before I lost weight so I think sex does help!)
I am 5'10 and now weigh 173, I want to be back to 145 and Ill be very happy. I had to but new jeans because the ones I had didn't fit, now the ones I bought are getting loose, but I'm not complaining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness