U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 PM

7,596 posts, read 10,614,552 times

Advertisements

I'm not a runner so take this tip with a grain of salt but...

If you're running on concrete or pavement, try running on a surface with more "give" to it - like dirt or even sand. When you go to run on the harder surface you'll feel as though your legs have springs in them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM

31,774 posts, read 36,445,787 times
tie a piece of steak so it hangs from your butt and release a pack of dogs.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM

610 posts, read 1,223,191 times
to shave 15 secs on that distance I don't think you need to be too technical or strategic about it; just give it a go every second day.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,524,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
tie a piece of steak so it hangs from your butt and release a pack of dogs.
False. This is awkward, clumsy and not aerodynamic.

Pack the steak into a fuel belt and run by houses with labradors, german shepherds and rottweilers in the yard restrained only by an invisible electronic fence. Also, slide on some beef scented BodyGlide.

Other than that, incorporate some hill running and hill sprints into your routine.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM

14 posts, read 69,194 times
Default speed work

Just running as someone suggested above will not really help. It will only maintain your current level of cardiovascular condition, but will not really help you much with speed. You need speedwork training, including hillwork (hill repeats), intervals (short distance repeats with shorter recovery distance), and/or tempo runs. For your question, I would say go for intervals, especially if the 1.5 miles is flat. If hilly, the hillwork would definitely help you improve, although hillwork has been said to be "speedwork in disguise" (by some other people who are experts -- definitely not me). These 3 methods are what constitutes "current" speed training, from what I know; however, you are expecting a lot in a short time (weeks??).

Interval training introduction:
Interval Training Workouts - Interval Training Workouts Improve Speed and Endurance

To determine the correct speed for different distances/training and to improve, not just maintain, take a look at the McMillan Running calculator, which seems good:
McMillan Running - Training Programs, Running Pace Calculators, Personal Online Coaching, Nutritional Advice for Runners and more!

Sorry such a long post. Also, I'm not an expert. I've just read a lot about it, so am regurgitating what I know basically.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,225,466 times
I think SportsGeek is right. You're only running 8 minute miles. In my opinion, you wouldn't need real speedwork unless you've built up a base for several months. You should be able to get to 7 minutes per mile, at least, with no speedwork. I get to 7 minutes per mile for a 10k just giving it a go every other day. After that I start throwing in some speedwork and tempo runs once a week. For me, hillwork is even more specialized and the benefits take longer to see.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 AM

21,468 posts, read 11,670,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
The OP never said they were training for any military test. I assume they are running for fitness, in which case a beginning runner should not concern themselves with shaving off a few seconds on such a short run. Increasing distance is FAR more important.
1.5 miles is the exact distance that the Navy and Air Force use for their physical fitness tests. "Needing" to shave 15 seconds off your 1.5 mi time certainly sounds like a PT test to me. Which is why I asked. If s/he was just running for fitness, why 15 secs? Why not 10, 20 or 30?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:37 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,543,973 times
Alot of it is mental. If you know the run is about to end and you can see the finish line, try to sprint and use all of your remaining energy to get to the finish line. Tell yourself you can rest as soon as you get to that point, but first you have to earn it. Increasing your pace through the last 100 yards or so can make a difference.
Also, don't run to the finish line and stop... run through it. I have seen alot of people slow down as they approach and walk across the finish line.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 430,335 times
this is for a pt test.. I have been out running about 2- 3 miles about 4 days per week in the next week I have another 1.5 mile test. I ran 3 miles today this weekend what would you recommend I do to help with my training for the potential run to take place next week on either tues or thursday? Also, do you guys feel that running into the wind or up hills slows your time down quite a bit at all?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 AM

5,816 posts, read 14,802,989 times
Yes and yes on wind and hills slowing you down, though how much depends on how stiff the wind is and how steep (and how long) the hills are. You really don't have much time before the next test. Since it sounds as if you're running enough to have a pretty good base of endurance built up, I'd suggest that what you want to do now, for the next test and any future tests, is work on your speed. You get what you train for. To run fast, train by running fast. To do this while maintaining your endurance, try running intervals while moving continually. It's like windsprints without any break between sprints, even a short break.

Try running the same distance you run now, but after every quarter mile, run the next quarter mile at a pace that falls just short of an all-out sprint, so you really have to push it. Keep alternating quarter miles like this. Even if you have to run more slowly during the slow quarter miles in order to run the fast segments at a near-sprint, that's okay, because you're still conditioning your body for speed by running the fast quarters as fast as you can. Then, the next workout, run your slow segments for about three hundred yards at a time, and do an all-out sprint for a hundred yards. Three hundred (relatively) slow, one hundred sprint, etc., etc. After a couple of each of these workouts, try running the 1.5 miles for time again. Then return to the workouts with the bursts of speed, and after a few more of those try the 1.5 miles for time again. Keep at this until you make the time.

Good luck, and run hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness