Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 139,089 times

Advertisements

I have not been to the dr in years now and I am not entirely sure if this happens to anyone else when they are exercising. I think I may have abnormal symptoms even and I am debating if I should continue to exercise or not.

Is it normal to:

Feel sore after you exercise or walk long distances outside? I know this happens to everyone else and I have been exercising regularly for years now but I still continue to feel sore or my feet and ankles start to get painful every time I take another step. And when I stand after my exercise or long walk they feel like they are burning?

or Feel nauseous or even vomit during exercise?

For one thing I hate exercising, I don't see how people enjoy it unless you are a man. Sports and lifting weights to get "ripped" never really interested me, being a female.I also cannot stand the smell of sweat; but I am forcing and pushing myself to do this to become healthier. I still have not lost a significant amount of weight and probably never will and I am not trying to be a size 0 I am just trying to get healthier. But I was wondering if anyone else experienced these symptoms while exercising and what could be done to prevent them from happening again in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
If you haven't been to the doctor in years, now might be a good time to break that drought. It would be a good idea to get some medical advice, so you'll know whether there are some physical issues, or whether there's something you should change about your exercise routine.

It's difficult to say for sure what kinds of reactions your body might have from different activities and different levels of exercise, without knowing what you do now for exercise. However, if you've been getting even moderately strenuous exercise for a long time, you should not be feeling sick as a result of exercise. Your body should be well accustomed to exercise, and, with the possible exception of pushing yourself really hard in very hot weather if you're not used to the heat, you should not feel sick. Also, it's normal to feel some soreness at first if you increase the intensity of your workouts, but something is probably not right if you're feeling serious pain while exrcising, like barely being able to take another step. Best to get checked out and get some advice on changes you might make.

Something that grabs my attention about your post is that you say you hate exercise but force yourself to do it. Are there physical activities you enjoy for the activities themselves? Hiking? Tennis? Swimming? Or any other activities you might enjoy. Think "physical activity" that you find enjoyable rather than "forced exercise," and you may find this whole process of staying fit far more pleasurable.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
You haven't said what kind of shape you are in right now nor how long you have been exercising.

If you have been unfit or inactive most of your life, beginning an exercise program is difficult and might be somewhat unpleasant for awhile.

When I have taken some time off (such as a summer) from exercise, I have thrown up many times when resuming activity. Even fit athletes do this occasionally. Your body is not accustomed to it. The demand for blood to supply your muscles with oxygen robs other areas and nausea could be a result. I suggest you not exercise with a full stomach.

As for sore feet - that too could be a normal. Make sure you have comfortable shoes for exercise.

The first time I played handball my hands turned blue from bruises - even on the back side of my hands. By the third time I played my hands had toughened up and were normal 1 hour after playing. Your feet could behave the same way.

The amazing human body though adapts to all this. Your hear rate will go down and you won't breathe as hard as your fitness improves. Your feet and joints will feel better over time. Soreness is an indicator that your muscles were required to do something they don't normally do. The body WILL respond by rebuilding body tissue (mostly muscle fibers) each day - that's why soreness goes away and you get faster/stronger over time.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Scenery View Post
I have not been to the dr in years now and I am not entirely sure if this happens to anyone else when they are exercising. I think I may have abnormal symptoms even and I am debating if I should continue to exercise or not.

Is it normal to:

Feel sore after you exercise or walk long distances outside? I know this happens to everyone else and I have been exercising regularly for years now but I still continue to feel sore or my feet and ankles start to get painful every time I take another step. And when I stand after my exercise or long walk they feel like they are burning?

or Feel nauseous or even vomit during exercise?

For one thing I hate exercising, I don't see how people enjoy it unless you are a man. Sports and lifting weights to get "ripped" never really interested me, being a female.I also cannot stand the smell of sweat; but I am forcing and pushing myself to do this to become healthier. I still have not lost a significant amount of weight and probably never will and I am not trying to be a size 0 I am just trying to get healthier. But I was wondering if anyone else experienced these symptoms while exercising and what could be done to prevent them from happening again in the future.
A female body normally do not get ripped like male simply because of lack of hormone (testosterone) which men produce a lot off compared to women. Abundance of testosterone will normally speed up body hair growth such as beards, stabilizes libido to a degree, and stabilizes metabolism.

So if a female does some weight or resistance training, it is unlikely they becomes hugely muscular overnight, or even throughout the year. There are many more factors that affect muscle building that pumping iron.

Now as far as how one' person's body re-acts to physical activity depends on their physical conditions.

Soreness is normal to a degree, but not to the degree where there is pain. Stretching helps reduce soreness. Gradual increase to such activity also helps reduce soreness and injury.

Now as far as feeling like vomiting, that I think is cardio related. Cardio is about heart condition, and the ability of the heart to pump oxygen rich blood to the entire body.

The more exertion to an activity such as running, the more oxygen is needed to circulate in a faster rate--thus a faster heart rate. If a person is not in a good condition to meet such demands, they will feel they are running out of air and thus feel nauseas. It's a way the body is telling the person that they are reaching a point of exhaustion.

It is good practice to have a doctor's check up. There is so much knowledge and technology to have good info pertaining to one's body and health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness