U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 AM

1,052 posts, read 920,686 times
Default Am I eating enough?

Hi guys!

I recently started to work out for about a month (I gained about 20-25 lbs in the past 2ish years that I want to lose...). However, my weight loss seems a bit stagnant (I lost about 1-2 lbs so far). I got the exercise portion down (dance-type workout 3-5 days a week for 1 hr each day: It's rigorous enough to have me sweating 20 min in).

My question is whether I am eating enough calories. I try to eat around 1500-1800 calories each day. I'm not sure if I should eat a bit more or up my exercise routine by including weights.

Current stats: 22ish years old, 5' 10.5", 211-12lbs
Target weight: 185lbs

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

7,446 posts, read 7,764,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Hi guys!

I recently started to work out for about a month (I gained about 20-25 lbs in the past 2ish years that I want to lose...). However, my weight loss seems a bit stagnant (I lost about 1-2 lbs so far). I got the exercise portion down (dance-type workout 3-5 days a week for 1 hr each day: It's rigorous enough to have me sweating 20 min in).

My question is whether I am eating enough calories. I try to eat around 1500-1800 calories each day. I'm not sure if I should eat a bit more or up my exercise routine by including weights.

Current stats: 22ish years old, 5' 10.5", 211-12lbs
Target weight: 185lbs

Thanks
I think your calories are fine, especially if you're getting enough protein and fiber not eating too much fat or carbs. If you're trying to lose weight you should definitely include some weights. And lift enough so that your last reps are a bit of struggle. There's very little to be gained from lifting weights that are too light to work your muscles.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,988,622 times
Something is not right here....you should be looking to lose 1-2 lbs/week, not a month.

If I were to guess, I would say you are really eating more than 1500-1800 calories and you don't know it. Do you measure portion size? What does your diet really look like?

The option possibility is that you are eating way LESS than 1500-1800 calories causing your body to go into starvation mode. This would also explain the lack of weight loss...

All in all, its critical to get a handle on the diet.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM

969 posts, read 1,581,669 times
10-12 cals per pound of bodyweight to lose, so no, you're not eating enough.

def add strength training

Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM

226 posts, read 255,837 times
This may help you. There are others out there as well.

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM

576 posts, read 773,271 times
At 211 lbs. I doubt you are in starvation mode. Sometimes it takes my body a week or two to start losing weight. I'm not sure if it's because I retain more water when I work out or what. If you continue to only lose 1-2 lbs per month and you are really only eating 1500-1800 calories, then you need to look at your workout routine. I've never really believed in the dancing around thing. If the dancing isn't working then get on an elliptical for an hour and add 30 minutes of weights in.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:23 PM

891 posts, read 1,482,046 times
Sweating is a body function to help your body maintain temperature.
You can be sitting on the porch in a hot summer day and sweat.

The real calorie burn is based on sustained heart rate.
If you walk at a stead pace for 20 minutes, you burn xx calories.
If you walk at a stead pace for 15 minutes, and sprinted 5 minutes, you burn (more) xx + yy calories simply because you exerted more effort.

If you sprinted for 20 minutes, you burn a lot more calories. However, the ability to sprint for 20 minutes is based on the person's condition. So in simple terms, you burn X calories for whatever activity.

So you started exercising a month ago. 30 days.

You lose 2 lbs = 3,700 calories.

You weight 185 lbs. Maintaining this weight is roughly 10x so, 1850 cal / day.
1850 / day times 30 days = 55,000 cals

You said you ate 1500 - 1800 cals.

If you ate 1500 cals / day, in 30 days, that's 45,000 calories.
A 10,000 cal loss without exercise is roughly 3 lbs (2.85)

If you ate 1800 cals / day, in 30 days, that's 54,000 calories.
A 1,000 cal loss without exercise is 0.28 lbs only.

How much calories do you think you burn in 1 hour of dance workout?
If 300 cals / hour x 3 per week x 4 per month = 3,600 cals which is about 1 lbs loss (1.02)

If 600 cals / hour x 3 per week x 4 per month = 7,200 cals which is about 2 lbs loss (2.04)

So, if you did not bother to exercise and strictly ate 1500 cal/day, you would have lost 2.85 lbs with no sweat!

Now, you if you stayed at 1500 cal/day and did the 3x a week dance, you would have lost 5 lbs in a month.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM

48 posts, read 73,454 times
Eat more and increase your cardio.

I hope you are weighing out your food so that you know exactly how much you are taking in a day.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM

1,052 posts, read 920,686 times
Thank you everyone for your kind advice!

I estimate that I eat around 1500-1800 each day, on average, as sometimes I sometimes eat a bit more than what I plan for the day because I get hungry.

My usual eating plan for the past 2 weeks is:
Brunch--> 1 cup of fiber enriched pasta + 1 serving of marinara Ragu sauce + 1 cup of peas + 1 palm size ground turkey

2pm-ish--> 2 slices of wheat bread + 2 tbsp peanut butter + 1-2 tbsp jam (10 calories per tbsp)

5pm-ish--> 1 cup of Kashi GoLean cereal + 1 serving of Lactaid milk

I throw in an egg or two as a snack if I get hungry after that. I drink enough water (at least 64 oz, but usually more) and sleep an average of 7 hours each day.

Of course, I'm still experimenting with my eating plan because I feel like I don't get enough natural fiber or protein or calories at times. I used this month as more of an experimental one as I wanted to see what exercise/food I enjoy, while at the same time see how it affects the progress of my weight loss.

So far, I can see that the exercise portion is decent (I do Zumba, which works out my lower half) and it leaves me sweaty and sore in the calves, which is a good thing. I plan to add a weight routine for the upper half of my body.

As for calories, based on the calorie calculator (Thanks turbodiesel!), I should be eating about 2,100 -2,200 calories to lose weight. So I guess I should up my calorie consumption by about 500 calories, which makes sense I suppose, seeing that I do exercise moderately.

Eating healthy is not really a problem for me, as I enjoy it and don't see it as a huge lifestyle change in my life (as I grew up eating quite healthy to begin with). My problem is mainly just the amount of calories I need to consume. I shall test with 2000 calories a week and see if I get better results.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM

7,373 posts, read 7,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind advice!

I estimate that I eat around 1500-1800 each day, on average, as sometimes I sometimes eat a bit more than what I plan for the day because I get hungry.

My usual eating plan for the past 2 weeks is:
Brunch--> 1 cup of fiber enriched pasta + 1 serving of marinara Ragu sauce + 1 cup of peas + 1 palm size ground turkey

2pm-ish--> 2 slices of wheat bread + 2 tbsp peanut butter + 1-2 tbsp jam (10 calories per tbsp)

5pm-ish--> 1 cup of Kashi GoLean cereal + 1 serving of Lactaid milk

I throw in an egg or two as a snack if I get hungry after that. I drink enough water (at least 64 oz, but usually more) and sleep an average of 7 hours each day.

Of course, I'm still experimenting with my eating plan because I feel like I don't get enough natural fiber or protein or calories at times. I used this month as more of an experimental one as I wanted to see what exercise/food I enjoy, while at the same time see how it affects the progress of my weight loss.

So far, I can see that the exercise portion is decent (I do Zumba, which works out my lower half) and it leaves me sweaty and sore in the calves, which is a good thing. I plan to add a weight routine for the upper half of my body.

As for calories, based on the calorie calculator (Thanks turbodiesel!), I should be eating about 2,100 -2,200 calories to lose weight. So I guess I should up my calorie consumption by about 500 calories, which makes sense I suppose, seeing that I do exercise moderately.

Eating healthy is not really a problem for me, as I enjoy it and don't see it as a huge lifestyle change in my life (as I grew up eating quite healthy to begin with). My problem is mainly just the amount of calories I need to consume. I shall test with 2000 calories a week and see if I get better results.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!
You should eat way more veggies than that. Honestly I don't like your diet at all, it really isn't doing much for you. If you change things so that roughly half of what you are eating are vegetables, and a little more protein with your meals too, you'd be much better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness