Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 PM

193 posts, read 92,781 times

Advertisements

(Accidentally posted this in haircare)

Hello! Any Ladies like / dislike the new Toning/ shape up sneakers out on market? if you have them, do you love them? do they hurt your ankles?...
all suggestions/ comments welcome...Thankyou!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,996,827 times
A friend and I bought some. My husband bought some, too. We walk every day. A few miles. The only difference we noticed was sore feet!!! My friend still walks in hers, but hasn't noticed any changes. My husband and I donated ours after a few months. I'm back in my beloved NB 993's. My feet are thanking me!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 AM

343 posts, read 523,130 times
The few pairs I've tried on didn't make the cut to even buy them. I'd rather do the toning exercises in the proper way for the length of time it requires. Wearing those shoes may give me too much since I walk/run for quite a few miles at a time.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 AM

28,395 posts, read 16,253,778 times
The science behind those shoes is bogus. However, I do know some nurses, waitresses, etc that are on their feet most/all of the day that say they help for that.

They don't "work you out" any more than regular shoes though.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM

193 posts, read 92,781 times
Thanks for your post-s, just looking for opinions

Old 03-24-2011, 01:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,646,278 times
I think they definitely -do- contribute to overall toning of your legs, in particular your calves, and your buttocks. The pressure of the extended soles on your arch/instep causes you to flex and relax muscles that don't normally need to flex/relax when you're wearing flat-soled walking shoes. The act of continual flexing/relaxing IS a form of exercise, albeit not nearly as efficient as, for example, doing 3 sets of 10 reps of a seated leg press with the weights set to 270 pounds three times a week.

But if you're walking a mile or more on a daily, or almost-daily basis, wearing those toning shoes, you should notice a difference in the overall tone of your legs. Definitely not for weight loss, but the sheer necessity of rebalancing your body to accommodate the awkward shape of the soles should be enough to make a difference after awhile.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM

142 posts, read 185,989 times
some people love them, some hate them. but here's a caveat for anyone who wants to try them out. i bought a pair with the intent on wearing them while walking my dog...bad idea. they're ok and i got quite a burn in my calves while walking on pavement, but once we reached the park/off leash area, i quickly realized that these shoes can actually be dangerous on uneven or soft grassy surfaces......should have thought of it ahead of time. that thick soft sole/platform doesn't provide near enough stability, a nasty ankle injury just waiting to happen if you're walking on trails or even just a grassy field if you don't watch where you step. if you have weak ankles, i wouldn't recommend them, even on smooth surfaces.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,920,486 times
I walk/run about 10 miles a day at work. At first I thought I was going to have to quit because my feet hurt so bad. Even in expensive shoes! I even tried Sprongs. I bought a pair of Skecher's Shape-ups and it was a world of difference. I can go all day in those shoes with hardly any pain. And I'm OLD! I love them and they were worth every penny.

I don't think they changed my legs. I had good legs before and I still do. But they made work tolerable and that was huge for me. The only down side I've noticed is that if I try to wear heels after a day in Shape-ups, my legs will cramp up immediately. Very painful!

I only wear the Shape-ups for work. The Skecher's people said it's not good to wear them all the time.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 PM

258 posts, read 448,876 times
I have some New Balance ones and wear them all the time including at the gym. They don't make a difference for me whatsoever and I've been using them daily for 6 months now. I had a discussion with a personal trainer that said that unless you get the expensive toning shoes upward a couple hundred dollars, the other ones aren't really going to make a difference.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,250,557 times
I bought a pair of the less expensive Dr. Sholles brand, because I have heard mixed reviews and wanted to be sure before investing over a hundred dollars on sneakers.

I have heel and arch issues and spend the greater portion of my day on my feet moving from group to group working with students. These are the first shoes, other than Crocs, I have had in a long time that did not hurt my heels. I do have some arch pain, but not enough to stop wearing them. I am about to invest in a more expensive pair and wish they came in some sort of open toe or slip on.

I have heard of people who have fallen while wearing them, but as clumsy as I am this hasn't happen to me, yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness