U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
Smile exercise leading to a shapely figure!

Hi!! I used to be overweight, and last year I lost weight by exercising a lot and controlling my food. I walked every morning for 1hr. But the reuslt was dissapointing cos though I lost weight myfigure didnt shape up, nor did I lose the tyres. I again put on wieght. Now, I am exercising 20 minutes on the "time works " machine, and 5 minutes on the " ab king pro". Can i get a shapely figure if I stick to this. How effective is the time works in giving a shapely figure and not just causing weight loss!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM

506 posts, read 716,660 times
First of all, we are all first shaped by genes. Secondly, most of what we can do ourselves is determined by resistance training.

I'm not familiar with the machines you mentioned, but some sort of full body resistance workout would be your best bet.

Doing the same thing over and over isn't the optimal way to fitness.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM

2,406 posts, read 4,640,713 times
I second the resistance training.

For example, squats do wonders for the butt...
training upper body gives shapelier shoulders/arms.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM

1,847 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capw View Post
Hi!! I used to be overweight, and last year I lost weight by exercising a lot and controlling my food. I walked every morning for 1hr. But the reuslt was dissapointing cos though I lost weight myfigure didnt shape up, nor did I lose the tyres. I again put on wieght. Now, I am exercising 20 minutes on the "time works " machine, and 5 minutes on the " ab king pro". Can i get a shapely figure if I stick to this. How effective is the time works in giving a shapely figure and not just causing weight loss!
1) No you cannot get a shapely figure if you stick to this.
2) The time works machine is a gadget and also after 1 month your body will have adapted to it so that 20 minutes a day will be easy for you and will do nothing other than help you maintain the way you are.
3) You need a real fitness program - one which changes and evolves as your body does. You also probably need a real fitness coach/trainer to develop the program/maintain your focus on it OR you can go with something like p90x would work for you if you have enough self-discipline/desire to change.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM

2,914 posts, read 3,344,032 times
Quote:
Doing the same thing over and over isn't the optimal way to fitness.
Well, the OP seems like a novice with exercise and walking an hour a day is surely putting them on the road to fitness. I think for novices, consistency must be built up before they can tackle "true" fitness.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 3,470 times
Well, Its really true, I really like this thread... please tell me how can I reduce my weight that is increase day by day... I am 22 years old and I am over weight according to my age, How can I maintain myself... Please tell me about any fitness training center near to this area...! Thank you..

Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 AM

2,914 posts, read 3,344,032 times
Eat 1200 calories a day and walk a half hour a day... then build up your walking. You will lose weight rapidly at first, then more slowly. But we'd have to know how tall you are and how much you currently weigh.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 AM

1,847 posts, read 5,268,121 times
1) BMI for me at least isn't a good indicator of anything - I'm way below statistical target weight for men of my height and age... but I look and feel great. I firmly agree that weight shouldn't be of concern to the OP.
2) Instead of weight, I think the OP should/could focus on something like dress size. She wants to look and feel good, so I recommend focusing on working out doing compound exercises which will work her muscles which will lead to a higher metabolism, which will then potentially lead to better health and figure shape (given that diet is decent too), and smaller dress size. None of this is difficult to understand and it is well proven to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness