Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times

Advertisements

I don't always run, but when I do I prefer outdoors. (Sorry Dos Equis-couldn't resist)
I will use treadmill when traveling during the winter because I do not like running in the dark in unfamiliar areas or on the road or street when it's dark. If it is really raining I'll go indoors as well. Otherwise, from 100+ heat indices to 0 wind chills, I can dress for the weather and like the challenge of occasionally running in extreme conditions. I do run within a certain heart rate zone when it's high heat indice to adjust for the conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Default Treadmill vs. outdoors

I have been trying to get back into shape the past week or so after a month layoff. I have run done about an equal mix of running outside and on the treadmill and have a few thoughts on the differences. I am able to push myself longer distances outside. Part of that is I always do an out and back course. If I run three miles out, I have no choice but to run three miles back. I tend to run a faster pace on the treadmill. The reason is I'm always looking at my pace and once I increase it, I try to hold that pace for as long as I can. I'm not as aware of how fast I am running when I'm outside so it is harder to push to run faster or to maintain a certain pace. It is harder to run long distances on a treadmill, but I once did a lot of marathon training on one including an 18 mile run.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Which is better? Is there a difference of which one is better for you? Right now I'm jogging daily at a park, it's really nice since the weather is perfect right now, but it's kind of inconvenient since I have to drive back and forth. Treadmill seems like it would be more comfortable since you can be at home and be in air conditioning. But I feel like I would get off track and end up quitting. I feel like I can't really concentrate on anything while I'm at home. Any suggestions?
On those rare occasions when I have decided to do a little jogging, I always prefer the treadmill. First of all, there are no dogs, no perverts and the temperature can be controlled. However, the most important consideration is proximity to a bathroom.

YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Treadmills tend to be nicer to your knees and back (not much nicer, but a little nicer.)
This,

Treadmill and exercise bike for me. It's easier on my body parts and I get to watch TV Now I just need the UPS man to show up with our bowflex and go buy a larger TV LOL

Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
The weather is so nice right now it's hard to resist exercising outdoors.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM

160 posts, read 335,224 times
The main thing is that your running, it really doesn't matter where as long as you get up and move your body. I perfer the treadmill, but when I go camping I get up in the morning and run the forest mountain roads.

There are nice qualities to both, so however you choose to run enjoy.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This,

Treadmill and exercise bike for me. It's easier on my body parts and I get to watch TV Now I just need the UPS man to show up with our bowflex and go buy a larger TV LOL
Not the cyclists I speak to. We all agree that a properly fitted bicycle is ALWAYS easier on the body than any trainer we have experienced. I avoid exercise bikes like the plague & like smokers; all they do for me is promote injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness