Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

My health professor said I should be gaining muscle within 6 months but I am not in my upper body where I am doing lots of training in. I am wondering if my hormone growth is screwed? I had a blood test not too long ago and nothing showed up in that. And to be muscular means more hormone growth.

Are their any good supplements?

Any other suggestions? And yes I have upped my protein intake.

Thanks

Last edited by the city; 04-19-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM

165 posts, read 405,655 times
Increase calories. Training is only part of the equation. In order to gain weight, you need a caloric excess. I don't care if you eat 200g of protein a day. If you are only getting 1500 kcal and burning 1500 kcal, then you are not going to gain weight.

Don't rush to the supplements until you have diet and training figured out. Otherwise, you won't get the most benefit from it.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
so eat more and work out more with more protein to gain muscle?

I read and it said for a young guy I probably dont have a hormone imbalance.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
We all have body type to contend with. And a good many of us, men and women, have problems developing the upper body. And when you work on your 'problem area', you will always see slower and fewer results because you are asking your body to do something it doesn't want to do!

Supplements? Try protein drinks and a good multivitamin. Try upping your calories a general 10% or so.

Try to concentrate on being fit and healthy. It never happens as quickly as you want it to.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
My health professor said I should be gaining muscle within 6 months but I am not in my upper body where I am doing lots of training in. I am wondering if my hormone growth is screwed? I had a blood test not too long ago and nothing showed up in that. And to be muscular means more hormone growth.

Are their any good supplements?

Any other suggestions? And yes I have upped my protein intake.

Thanks
What is your routine? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Also are you giving yourself enough rest days? Keep in mind muscle growth occurs during rest, not while you are working out. Seems counterintuitive, I know.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM

267 posts, read 950,177 times
Maybe you are overtraining your upper body?? Do not neglect the lower body. Keep squatting and hitting those legs hard as well. You'll see results. Genetics does play a huge role in how we develop too so you have to do the best with what's been given to you.

What's your workout like and how much are you eating?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Talk to a personal trainer if you can. They can tailor a work out for you.

Generally....building size requires:
Eat a lot, especially high protein like meat, eggs, and milk.
Lift hard
Lift heavy
Do 3-5 sets of compound exercises
Include legs and back exercises
Plenty of rest

Best lifts for size, strength, and symmetry:
Squats
Deadlifts
Bench
Overhead press
Rows
Lats/pull-ups

Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
How heavy are the weights you're lifting? Usually you'll do the most to add muscle mass if you lift a weight you can manage to lift for only about six to twelve reps max. on the exercise in question.

Careful, though, about trying to lift heavy. You describe yourself as a "young guy." Whether you should lift heavy depends on how young you are. I usually hear the advice that you should not start lifting heavy weights until the middle teen years. If you're not there yet, stick with light to moderate weights--which means you can do 20-30 reps at a time--and be patient. If you're old enough that lifting heavy is advisable, then every four or five workouts try lifting a weight for each exercise which you can lift only six or seven times. In each of your heavy workouts, try to add reps on each exercise. Once you can do twelve reps per set on a given exercise, find the new weight you can get only six or seven times, and repeat the process. Mix in these heavier workouts every so often, and you should see some gains in muscle mass over time.

One other note of caution (besides the above advice to be sure you're old enough and physically mature enough) about lifting heavy every few workouts: It's really, really important to have good form when lifting heavy. Use poor form with heavier weights, and you're asking for an injury. Try to get advice about proper form from someone you're sure is knowledgeable. Practice with more moderate weights until you really know what proper form feels like. Once, you've got that feel for good form, have at it.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,281 times
What are you eating? If you aren't eating the right foods, it won't matter how much you work out you - will NOT get the results you want. Protein is important, but if there is still junk food in your diet you won't see much improvement..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
you had your testosterone levels checked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness