U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM

3,225 posts, read 4,199,481 times

Advertisements

I know it's a strange question, and not sure if it's possible. The more I work out (and especially do cardio), I tend to just get skinny. Small chest, small hips, small butt. I get very toned but very thin, and don't like losing the few curves I do have with those few extra pounds.

Are there exercises that can help in keeping that, ah, natural roundness? Do squats help? This is not a joke.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM

21,267 posts, read 19,330,844 times
I know what you are saying. I don't know if you can make your hips wider because that's just flesh and bone there (some of us have more flesh than others, ahem), but you can have buff arms and shoulders to make you seem bigger up top, which will complement your small waist. And squats and lunges will give you great lift in the butt. I think the right clothes will probably help too.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,301,823 times
Sorry: your body type is pretty much determined by your genes. There's no exercise that's gonna give you those "breeder girl" hips, or even bigger boobs. Oh, you can do squats and leg presses or even run or cycle to bulk your thighs, but that's not the same as the hour glass or "zoftig" shape of the curvy women you're talking about.
But rejoice! Thin, athletic chicks with tight butts are hot, and a ton of those "curvy" women you mention would trade places with you in a heartbeat. So be proud of your shape and show it off by wearing things those big gals can't pull off: like skimpy little baby tees and low-rider jeans and little ol' summer dresses with bare legs. (Oh, I know some big girls try these looks, but usually they just looks ridiculous, making some of us guys wonder if they're just in complete denial of their plus size bods or if they haven't yet heard of that new invention called a mirror.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 05-17-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 AM

1,756 posts, read 1,374,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I know it's a strange question, and not sure if it's possible. The more I work out (and especially do cardio), I tend to just get skinny. Small chest, small hips, small butt. I get very toned but very thin, and don't like losing the few curves I do have with those few extra pounds.

Are there exercises that can help in keeping that, ah, natural roundness? Do squats help? This is not a joke.
No, squats will not give you curves.

Plastic surgery can give you to a good chest at least.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM

5,210 posts, read 5,170,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post

If your body fat percentage is getting very low, you may not be eating enough.

But if you think you're getting enough calories for the amount of exercise you're doing, you might want to consider doing some strength training or yoga/pilates to add more shape to your body.

I don't usually do squats, but I have found that stairs work the backside pretty well.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

5,148 posts, read 5,625,293 times
You have to eat if you don't want to lose. Depending on what type of cardio you do will affect the outcome too.

You burn 200-500 more calories usually if not more on typical cardio sessions. The true value would be determined by weight, body fat percentage and intensity of exercise. To add bulk eat more and add some strength training. I posted miranda kerrs workout on here. Find that in the threads. Its a goodie!

It takes a lot longer to build muscle usually than to lose fat too. So give yourself time and read up on how to bulk. If you are stick strait naturally but can get a little curve without cardio, you should be able to put on a bit of muscle under that fat and make for a rounded softer shape. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness