Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 PM

72 posts, read 179,590 times

Advertisements

I am not overweight but never jog or do any other cardio exercises. Used to lift weights. No real stress. Father of toddler boy. Maybe that could lead to mild stress just from not being able to relax at different at home. Maybe less sleep.

Anyone had high blood pressure, exercised and it went back to normal?

Was there any change in the way you felt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 PM

165 posts, read 405,739 times
I had BP readings that my doc told me were elevated. I was not eating properly and getting little to no exercise at the time. I am now just on the edge of turning 40 and have a BP that will very healthy. It was a result of exercise and better nutrition.

I never noticed the BP as being an issue, but I can say for sure that I feel very different being much more fit. I was 210 lbs and about 30% body fat. I am now fluctuate between 205 - 210 lbs and sit around 10-12% bodyfat.

So, get off the computer. Don't use the stress of raising a child as an excuse. Find time to exercise. Learn to eat properly and actually do it. Make changes now so that you can be around for him in the future.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:44 PM

72 posts, read 179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpd View Post
I had BP readings that my doc told me were elevated. I was not eating properly and getting little to no exercise at the time. I am now just on the edge of turning 40 and have a BP that will very healthy. It was a result of exercise and better nutrition.

I never noticed the BP as being an issue, but I can say for sure that I feel very different being much more fit. I was 210 lbs and about 30% body fat. I am now fluctuate between 205 - 210 lbs and sit around 10-12% bodyfat.

So, get off the computer. Don't use the stress of raising a child as an excuse. Find time to exercise. Learn to eat properly and actually do it. Make changes now so that you can be around for him in the future.

What kinds of foods were you eating?

What kinds of exercising were you doing and how often?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
Only know one guy but he took anabolic steroids in combination with several other substances for years.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I have some friends that developed high blood pressure in their 20s and 30s. Sometimes you just get the (bad) luck of the draw; it's nothing you did or didn't do, just your body doing what it does.

But even moderate exercise, and a better diet, can help lower those numbers. One guy I know got off meds completely through exercise and better nutrition.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
I found i had high blood pressure in my 30s, purely for heredtary reasons. Ive done a few tweaks to bring it down (no more coffee every morning, and i drink beet juice almost day, etc). The only thing doctors will advise for me is taking medication, which i will not do. My bp peaked was around 166/110, and doing what ive done has brought it down to about 130/80. Still high but acceptable, and better than taking drugs IMO.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM

165 posts, read 405,739 times
Currently, I just focus on relatively heavy lifting as my goals have changed. I dropped from about 210 down to 170 by doing High Intensity Interval Training (Tabata interval method) 2x / week. I would run 5k on the treadmill 1x / week and I would do a full body workout with weights 2x / week. As far as nutrition, it was not any magic foods. I just cut out most of the white stuff. I eliminated breads, reduced sugars, etc... I increased my protein intake. I tracked my eating on fitday.com so I could make sure I was getting in enough calories, but not too much. Doing all of that got my BP to a very healthy level. It was 6 months between times that I had it checked, but I am well under the 120/80 marker now.

Now, my goals have changed, and I am trying to put on a significant amount of muscle mass. It is for no other reason than I want to do it. I still stay pretty lean. My goal is to keep under 12% bodyfat while gaining. My ultimate goal would be to hit 240 lbs at 12%bf. I don't think I have the genetics for that. I am struggling to get above 210 at a 12%bf. I am hoping that I will land some where around 225 or so in the next 2-3 years.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sometimes you just get the (bad) luck of the draw; it's nothing you did or didn't do, just your body doing what it does..
I'm not sure I believe that. If 'they' had a perfect diet, got proper exercise, rest, etc. and still developed high blood pressure I would have less solid ground to stand on. There are very few such people. Virtually everyone who winds up with HBP knows how and why they got it and it had nothing to do with heredity. If anything it drives the other way: given the way modern humans behave we all should have high blood pressure. A lot of us don't through no real effort to take care of things. That's heredity. However, as you say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
even moderate exercise, and a better diet, can help lower those numbers. One guy I know got off meds completely through exercise and better nutrition.
Very true.

H

Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm not sure I believe that. If 'they' had a perfect diet, got proper exercise, rest, etc. and still developed high blood pressure I would have less solid ground to stand on. There are very few such people. Virtually everyone who winds up with HBP knows how and why they got it and it had nothing to do with heredity. If anything it drives the other way: given the way modern humans behave we all should have high blood pressure. A lot of us don't through no real effort to take care of things.
False. I do have a great diet, sleep 8 hours a night, commute by bike 8 miles each way, and go to the gym 5 times a week. I have been fit my whole life - the most I've ever "let myself go" is 10 pounds, ever.

I also am African American, and as such my blood pressure is high. This is a very common heredity issue among people of my race.

You do not have solid ground to stand on, as you have not researched this and are just answering based on your gut instincts (which are wrong).

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I also am African American, and as such my blood pressure is high. This is a very common heredity issue among people of my race.
I'm A.A. as well . 120-5/65-70 is high for me but that's where its been since I've turned 52 and needed some medications. When I was running track it was 112/6? and my resting pulse was 57 (now 67). Even after I stopped actively exercising and became a sloth my BP never rose. I exercise and eat right now because I want to, and can afford (barely) to, not because my BP is high, or my sugar or anything else. I wasn't attacking your statements as much as cautioning against blanket "it just is's". There are a LOT of people not doing anything about a raft of maladies and conditions because it isn't their fault. I don't think it is a bad thing to assume that it is in fact your fault and you can blank well do something about it. What is the worst that can happen after that?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness