Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
half of the insults on this board are probably from people who have never been considered overweight in their entire lives.
you mean people who have never eaten like cows?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Treasured Jewel: I apologize in advance for not reading all 20 pages of this thread so I don't know everything that was recommended.

Because you say you want to lose 100 but your doctor says even then you will still be overweight, it means you have a significant amount of weight to lose. You have to do this right. You can't just cut your calories to nothing if you have that much to lose.

Also, you take medication?

IF this has not been suggested, I HIGHLY recommend you speak to your doctor about losing weight, have him refer you to a nutritionist who will work WITH you, tell you exactly how much to eat, how much exercise to do, what to watch out for in regards to your health, etc.

I would never take the advice on how many calories to eat per day from strangers on a forum. This is NOT to say that some of them are not truly interested in helping you, some of them really do want you to succeed but you are looking to lose a significant amount of weight, not just 30 pounds or so and, to add to it all, you are on medications.

Please, go to your doctor, tell them what you want to do, ask for a referral to a nutritionist, have that nutritionist meet with your parents, as well, (if they are willing), so that everyone is on the same page, knows what you are trying to do, knows how to get you there and you do it the right way and the healthy way.

To lose that much weight too fast is going to cause you problems, could risk your health. Please, go to your doctor for this advice.

Best of luck to you. If you are determined and you enjoy your exercise tapes, (which, heck girl, you're way ahead of most people, I have purchased one of those before and I ended up yelling at the person on the tape..."Oh shut up! Stop being so dang chipper!" (Not those exact words but have to make it PG for citydata)), you can do this. Just do it healthy.
Yeah I am 280lbs right now,possibly a little lighter I have not weighed myself this week. 270-100 = 170lbs which is still overweight for a female. 170lbs is stillmy goal weight, if the Dr. still says that I am overweight and unhealthy I will probably have to loose even more weight. Even if I do loose the weight, I may still have to take my blood pressure medications twice everyday

Everytie I visit the Dr, I am doing monthly check-ups now since I told him that i am trying to loose weight, he just keeps saying that I need to loose weight in order to hopefully lower my blood pressure. He said 30 mins to an hour everyday and to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. But that is about it. Overall I am healthy.

I think I am doing decently without a nutritionist. I would not mind seeing one though, but most of the helpful advice here was enough to get me or anyone else in my situation off to a good start. There was another person on here trying to loose weight and stated that the "research" he/she found was enough to make a person very confused. For example, one article says a certain type of food is all good and healthy for you, while another says that the same food in question can overtime be harmful to one's health. I think some of the research is flawed and just out to get people to spend hundreds of dollars a week on "organic" and 'healthy" food. And in my immediate area, it is very hard to find health food stores and most people do not care.I would say preparing your own meals at home is way more costly than just getting fast food. But also this depends on the amount of food you make, but most "healthy" food is very bland in my tastes. i am still trying to deter myself from putting salt on my meals or cooking vegetables with oil or "I can't believe it;s not butter". Back in the day I prepared vegetables e either fried, cooked with pork, or saturated in butter.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you mean people who have never eaten like cows?
I am tired of you. Like you haven't pigged out a day in your life. Everyone has, even *gasp* skinny people and people who practically live in gyms. If you have not, then you are lying to yourself.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I think some of the research is flawed
you are right there. almost all the "research" is flawed. the problem is that people just jump onto anything they think sounds good and then will declare their positions to be "scientific fact." unfortunately for them, there isnt nearly as much "scientific fact" out there with regards to nutrition as they would like to believe. the simplest and most effective thing to focus on (especially for someone very overweight) is cutting calories.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I am tired of you. Like you haven't pigged out a day in your life. Everyone has, even *gasp* skinny people and people who practically live in gyms. If you have not, then you are lying to yourself.
i have pigged out plently. but never over an extended period of time where i became a fatty. it is incredibly easy to control your diet and not become a fatty.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
.I would say preparing your own meals at home is way more costly than just getting fast food. But also this depends on the amount of food you make, but most "healthy" food is very bland in my tastes. i am still trying to deter myself from putting salt on my meals or cooking vegetables with oil or "I can't believe it;s not butter". Back in the day I prepared vegetables e either fried, cooked with pork, or saturated in butter.
Depends on what diet you're on. If you're on a controlled carb plan like Atkins you can pretty much use all the salt and fat you want in food prep. Butter, oil, pork, etc. are not limited. You can snack on pork rinds and saturate your food in butter if you want (as long as you're putting it on something without carbs). One thing about Atkins, the food's not bland. In fact you get rid of all the bland rice, bread and potatoes and stick to the good stuff (mainly meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies).

I disagree that homemade is more expensive than fast food. I could easily make my own food for less than the $10 a day you'd easily spend on three meals a day of fast food.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I disagree that homemade is more expensive than fast food. I could easily make my own food for less than the $10 a day you'd easily spend on three meals a day of fast food.
yeah, people are so full of crap when it comes to them saying its so expensive to eat healthy. a fast food meal is going to cost you at least 6 bucks, you could easily make a healthy meal at home for much less than that.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,063 times
We have a big family, so I shop in bulk, at Costco. Not only is it cost effective for us, but their produce far surpasses all of the produce in my supermarkets around here. We also buy tuna steaks, salmon, tilapia, and chicken in bulk and freeze them. It helps us stay on point and eat healthy. I pre make salads, and keep them in tight containers. I wash all the veggies and fruit and portion them out into either containers or snack bags. The kids will grab a bag of grapes or cut up strawberries for a snack.

When all we have to eat is healthy food, that's all we'll eat!

It can take some time to clean and wash the food and portion it out or cook it beforehand, but it's worth it in the end. That way, if we're hungry, we're not grazing on anything we can get our hands on; our food is ready for us!

It takes time, it really does, and if you've had a lifetime of poor eating habits, it's not going to change overnight. But, if you are committed, you can change it, and it's never too late to take your health seriously. Seriously, good luck...and drink your water!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Hommade Fettucine Alfredo w Spiniach & Chicken (these aer rough estimates)

Fettucine - $2
Alfredo Sauce(homemade) - $5
Spinach Pack - $3-4
Mushrooms (optional) - $2-4
Pre-cut Chicken Breast Packet - $2-4

Big Mac meal (including drink +fries) @ mcdonalds - $5-6

You do the math.

Of course you would want to eat something new everyday but this proves that eating Mcdonalds for dinner as opposed to a homemade meal is more expensive. however the homemade meal will last longer (I always make a lot of food for the family) But if you are living alone and eating just for one person, it can get costly.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Hommade Fettucine Alfredo w Spiniach & Chicken (these aer rough estimates)

Fettucine - $2
Alfredo Sauce(homemade) - $5
Spinach Pack - $3-4
Mushrooms (optional) - $2-4
Pre-cut Chicken Breast Packet - $2-4

Big Mac meal (including drink +fries) @ mcdonalds - $5-6

You do the math.

Of course you would want to eat something new everyday but this proves that eating Mcdonalds for dinner as opposed to a homemade meal is more expensive. however the homemade meal will last longer (I always make a lot of food for the family) But if you are living alone and eating just for one person, it can get costly.
you have to calculate it on a per meal basis. your mcdonalds meal is 1 meal, the above fettucine meal would be about 5 meals for a normal person or 1 appetizer for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness