Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times

Advertisements

Plus moving around the kitchen cooking burns calories!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
how can someone actually come to the conclusion that its cheaper to buy fast food than make food at home? its not even close.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how can someone actually come to the conclusion that its cheaper to buy fast food than make food at home? its not even close.
They've never actually cooked a meal in their life?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Hommade Fettucine Alfredo w Spiniach & Chicken (these aer rough estimates)

Fettucine - $2
Alfredo Sauce(homemade) - $5
Spinach Pack - $3-4
Mushrooms (optional) - $2-4
Pre-cut Chicken Breast Packet - $2-4

Big Mac meal (including drink +fries) @ mcdonalds - $5-6

You do the math.

Of course you would want to eat something new everyday but this proves that eating Mcdonalds for dinner as opposed to a homemade meal is more expensive. however the homemade meal will last longer (I always make a lot of food for the family) But if you are living alone and eating just for one person, it can get costly.
That's $2 for a box of pasta which probably contains 8 servings. The same is true for all the other things you listed.

Plus, if you're trying to lose weight, you can't really do it eating alfredo sauce and certainly not eating 6-8 servings of it in a meal.

Why don't you figure the cost of one chicken breast, 1 serving of pasta, 3 cups of salad (lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, whatever other fresh veggies you like), 2 tbls. of dressing and 1 cookie and report back?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They've never actually cooked a meal in their life?
I actually think it has more to do with the fact that they don't know how to shop for deals.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
while fast food is cheaper.
and she says it so matter of factly as if its clearly true. its insane. she knows so little.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I actually think it has more to do with the fact that they don't know how to shop for deals.
i bet she has a walmart nearby so she doesnt have to be an expert to get a decent price. its more complicated with the supermarkets because the sale prices are so much less than regular price and then of course i coupon on top of that. but when you go to places like walmart or target, the regular price is usually decent enough.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 11,323 times
I have always found a high protein diet to work well, carbs turn to sugar and definately don't help with high blood pressure. Protein & veggies are always a good diet. Also, working out is detrimental to getting your blood pressure under control. I'm by no means a gym rat, only work out to stay healthy. I just ordered Pilates for Weight Loss for Dummies, by Tracey Thompson, thru Amazon and I LOVE it!!! My first try at it and I think it is something you will love. It does get your heart rate up (which you definitely need), you feel the burn and you sweat! BUT, that being said, it is a very relaxing workout. You don't feel overstressed and you WANT to do it all the time (which is hard to say about most workout DVD's). Believe me, I don't enjoy working out but I know to look good and lose weight you HAVE to do it. If you stick with it everyday you will see results. But you have to want it... no pill is going to fix what a "lifestyle" will. And if you can do it properly and lose that 50-100 lbs I bet you won't even have high blood pressure anymore! Btw... I bought the "used" version of the pilates dvd for $7.00 + $2.50 shipping and it was worth every penny and the DVD works fine ... being used. I figured if it didn't work (which it absolutely does) all I would be out is $9.50. Please consider the pilates workout, you don't have to buy any equipment, special clothes, shoes etc... just wear something comfortable, they prefer barefoot, no mats, weights etc... and you don't have to be pro, semi pro... just start on the beginners level. I really hope you take all this into consideration. I've struggled with my weight all my life by 20-30 lbs but it's just as hard for me as someone with 50-100 lbs. Take it a day at a time... it's well worth it. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,626 times
damn, 100lbs? that will take years. just losing 10 lbs is hard enough.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
You're going to have so many things thrown at you, so start simple.

Cut out cokes and soft drinks. Substitute with water-LOTS of it! If you hate water, add some Crystal Light or MIO. You should be taking in at LEAST a gallon a day...shoot for 20oz. with each meal and each snack. Realistically, you should shoot for about 200oz each day.

Walk. Walking is great exercise; you are 100lbs overweight, so you need to do low impact exercise. I know it's hot where you live (it is here, too, in Houston) so walk at night or early morning. Shoot for 3x a week for a30 mins. or so.

Eat breakfast every day. Try to incorporate a protein in there...

Snack sensibly. Apples, oranges, nuts, grapes, etc.

I make a really good snack..cottage cheese, honey, blueberries, strawberries, and peaches. It's like dessert, and it's so good...I used to HATE cottage cheese, but now I love it.

Try to not eat in front of the TV-that leads to snacking...

Try to not eat after 7-8pm. You can't really metabolize that food.

Get good sleep! Rest is essential for losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness