Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
...It's not fair to the OP to give them the same old 'calories in, calories out' malarky, when it's not going to help at all....

It's absolutely not malarky.

I *will* agree with you in your assertion that not all calories are equal, so to simply reduce caloric intake by XXX is not necessarily ideal.

I personally prefer something more along the lines of the Zone diet for my eating guidelines.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i always get attacked when i push the "calories in < calories out = weight loss" concept. its going to be the most effective especially when dealing with someone who has a lot of weight to lose. its simple, it works and when you are super fat losing weight is the most important thing. when someone gets closer to an ideal weight then they can play around with "good calories vs bad calories" garbage.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Agreed, Captain, but if she's looking to lose weight as quickly as possible, good cals v. bad cals is worth talking about. No?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i always get attacked when i push the "calories in < calories out = weight loss" concept.
Really? That is a shame.

As I stated in my previous posts, I believe it's the best way to do it. It's simple, clear and logical.

The low carb diet, high protein diet, macrobiotic diet, cabbage soup diet, etc. etc. etc. They all seem seem like gimmicks to me. It might work for some, but there's always another gimmick that comes along to replace them.

Calories in vs. calories out. If you're consistent with it, you will lose weight.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Agreed, Captain, but if she's looking to lose weight as quickly as possible, good cals v. bad cals is worth talking about. No?
its always worth talking about anything. but if you have a very obese person, the priority should just be cut out the twinkies. cut cut cut.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
its always worth talking about anything. but if you have a very obese person, the priority should just be cut out the twinkies. cut cut cut.
Absolutely cannot argue with that.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Agreed. And when you learn the calorie values of junk vs. real food.....you will be going for the real food with practice. You will feel full from it more. You will look better. You will feel more energy. I can remember when I started leaning and was comparing meat and greens dinners with dessert calories....it got to the point would rather have double meat and no cake. Cake was alright...but I felt like crap. And with calorie counting I could still fit it in so there was no "off limits" foods.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 PM

63 posts, read 165,702 times
I dont understand why people think creating a calorie deficit does not work. At its most basic level, this is the simplest and most surefire way to lose weight.

Of course, the calories that you do get should be from healthy sources so you dont feel like crap. and you want to make sure that you are getting your vitamins etc. Then breaking down carbs, fat, protein should be done according to your lifestyle... if you lift a lot you are going to need a lot of protein. if you do a lot of low intensity cardio you are going to want more carbs. if you want to be muscular but low fat then more protein will be required etc. and you also dont want to create a deficit so great that your metabolism slows down.

i think most of the complaints against calorie counting are psychological. burning more calories than you consume WILL cause you to lose weight. However, people have trouble with self control and when they feel like they are being deprived, they sometimes are more prone to binging etc.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicStripper View Post
However, people have trouble with self control and when they feel like they are being deprived, they sometimes are more prone to binging etc.
those people are called fat people and its the reason why fat people rarely lose weight and when they do they rarely keep it off.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
those people are called fat people and its the reason why fat people rarely lose weight and when they do they rarely keep it off.
So true. Anytime I read a post or hear someone talk about being "deprived" like "I want to lose weight, but I dont want to be deprived of eating my ............." Im like well, good luck with ever losing any weight.

When people learn that good clean healthy eating is NOT deprivation they are on the fast track to losing weight and becoming healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness