Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
a lot of football players are fat. are people trying to say that because they push guys around that means they cant be called fat?

a competing bodybuilder has very low bodyfat but a large waist, but thats a little more complicated.

I don't see anyone saying that no football players are fat. Linemen are fat for the same reason that some powerlifters are fat - for their specific goals extra bodyweight of any sort can be an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,093,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Dude, rather than calling me names, how about going on a diet and shedding some poundage?
How about you getting a life and quit being so narrowminded First off, I have low bodyfat and lift heavy weights, 36" waist so no matter what nonsense you spew, I and other guys of similar build are not overweight. What's wrong, did the big guys bully you in grade school so that's why you have hatred towards muscular men?

Another thing, if a guy doesn't work out that is a 34 or greater, yes they are overweight. But if they work out regularly and are a 34 or 36, they aren't overweight. Period. It depends on what they're going for, size/strength & muscle or endurance/stamina.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't see anyone saying that no football players are fat. Linemen are fat for the same reason that some powerlifters are fat - for their specific goals extra bodyweight of any sort can be an advantage.
okay, so we are all bent out of shape because 1 guy has decided that in his mind everyone with more than a 32 inch waist is fat?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM

28,396 posts, read 16,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
okay, so we are all bent out of shape because 1 guy has decided that in his mind everyone with more than a 32 inch waist is fat?

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,839,637 times
I think our banter here is pretty much fun. Although there are disagreements, there is no need for a mod to close it and there are no personal attacks. For ME, I do think that if my waist size got above 34 inches it would mean that I am fat (and no longer have my 6 pack and "V"). I am NOT a powerlifter and I am not a bodybuilder. Im just a regular dude who is built more like an Anderson Silva type - 6' 1" and today weighed in at 176 pounds.

It'll be fun to start another thread titled "Optimal waist size for WOMEN". I guarantee that not only will that thread be closed within a day, but you'll get women complaining about the title alone. Horrible double standard applies here unfortunately.

Or, you'll get very few people to respond, unlike here where we got 10 pages of replies.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 06-16-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think our banter here is pretty much fun. Although there are disagreements, there is no need for a mod to close it and there are no personal attacks. For ME, I do think that if my waist size got above 34 inches it would mean that I am fat (and no longer have my 6 pack and "V"). I am NOT a powerlifter and I am not a bodybuilder. Im just a regular dude who is built more like an Anderson Silva type - 6' 1" and today weighed in at 176 pounds.

It'll be fun to start another thread titled "Optimal waist size for WOMEN". I guarantee that not only will that thread be closed within a day, but you'll get women complaining about the title alone. Horrible double standard applies here unfortunately.

Or, you'll get very few people to respond, unlike here where we got 10 pages of replies.
I thought about that and that would be so much fun LMAO

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
How about you getting a life and quit being so narrowminded First off, I have low bodyfat and lift heavy weights, 36" waist so no matter what nonsense you spew, I and other guys of similar build are not overweight. What's wrong, did the big guys bully you in grade school so that's why you have hatred towards muscular men?

Another thing, if a guy doesn't work out that is a 34 or greater, yes they are overweight. But if they work out regularly and are a 34 or 36, they aren't overweight. Period. It depends on what they're going for, size/strength & muscle or endurance/stamina.
Right. Those big bellied fatties with huge biceps, doing nothing but working their arms and chest out, they are just perfectly optimal with their 35Ws Some of these go around with a Tee calling itself "TRAINER". So, there, if the norm is a fat guy with protein packed arms and chest, with a pot hanging underneath right above the 35 waister, then it's all okay to be muscular and carry a little pouch down there.

But as they always say, you can put as much lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Reduce that food intake, for Pete's sake

Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 PM

16,885 posts, read 16,003,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Exactly. The Linebackers are probably the baddest dudes on the field and in the best shape. Clay Mathews and Brian Cushing are studs.
Well, okay! LOL! I never noticed that!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:07 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,093,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Right. Those big bellied fatties with huge biceps, doing nothing but working their arms and chest out, they are just perfectly optimal with their 35Ws Some of these go around with a Tee calling itself "TRAINER". So, there, if the norm is a fat guy with protein packed arms and chest, with a pot hanging underneath right above the 35 waister, then it's all okay to be muscular and carry a little pouch down there.

But as they always say, you can put as much lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Reduce that food intake, for Pete's sake
LMAO...I definitely see those types at my gym. Some of the guys have the nerve to wear sleveless muscle shirts that obviously show their pork bellies.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,049,243 times
I'm surprised at what people here consider "fat". A man of normal height who wears 34" waist pants is NOT fat - he may be chubby, or have a little bit of a gut, but surely is not a "big bellied fatty". I wear 36" pants (5'9 195), and while I may have an amount of extra fat on my mid-section, I certainly don't consider myself a "fatty" - "a little chubby" would be a better way of describing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness