Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,860,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
WTH?!?!? We are not talking about an 11 year old girl here, we are talking to a MAN. WTF is he going to do with 5 and 10 pound dumbbells? My 16 year old would laugh his a$$ off if someone suggested to him to start off with 5 and 10 pound dumbbells.

OP, Bowflexes are junk. Dont even bother. Get yourself a jump rope and since you are a MAN and just starting out, get yourself a couple of 30 pound and 40 pound dumbbells. This is the perfect beginning weights for someone just starting out. You can do squats, thrusters, presses, etc. all with this weight.
Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I read the suggestion for five- and ten-pound weights. If the OP's a guy, he needs to start heavier than that. Thumbs up on AnonChick's post overall, but those suggested starting weights do need to be adjusted upward a bit if the person doing the workouts is male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,163,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
WTH?!?!? We are not talking about an 11 year old girl here, we are talking to a MAN. WTF is he going to do with 5 and 10 pound dumbbells? My 16 year old would laugh his a$$ off if someone suggested to him to start off with 5 and 10 pound dumbbells.

OP, Bowflexes are junk. Dont even bother. Get yourself a jump rope and since you are a MAN and just starting out, get yourself a couple of 30 pound and 40 pound dumbbells. This is the perfect beginning weights for someone just starting out. You can do squats, thrusters, presses, etc. all with this weight.
Shots to his ego and manhood eh? Stay classy.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,511,088 times
a lot of people say bad things about the bowflex. i think most of them have never used one. i have never used one. the only thing i will say is something that you will actually do on a regular basis is better than something you wont do on a regular basis.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:12 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,847,663 times
We have a Bowflex. It does work, but my objection to it is the constant need to switch out various accessories to get a total workout. That part gets old, fast.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,638,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Yeah, I had a similar reaction when I read the suggestion for five- and ten-pound weights. If the OP's a guy, he needs to start heavier than that. Thumbs up on AnonChick's post overall, but those suggested starting weights do need to be adjusted upward a bit if the person doing the workouts is male.
I am a woman and I have no use for 5 lbs whatsoever, and can only think of 2 things that a 10 lb will do (such as shoulder scaption).

Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,859,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Shots to his ego and manhood eh? Stay classy.
Have no idea what you mean by this.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,931 times
not only is a bowflex a waste of 200 dollars, but it's also extremely inefficient compared to free weights... You couldn't pay me to give me a bowflex. You'd be better off investing some dumbbells, or if you have the money, a power rack/barbell/weights.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,163,126 times
I prefer free weights to a boxflex but people act like a bowflex will make you weaker or something.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
Someone who currently does no lifting at all, will get more benefit by starting with 5 and 10 pound free weights, than he is currently, with 0 pounds. If he is already physically fit, then he would know already, that he doesn't need to start out with 5-10 pound dumbbells. Since he didn't know that, I'm assuming he probably isn't fit enough to start out with much more than that. Of course one would hope he had the common sense to test these things out at the store when he goes to buy them, and determine for himself what the appropriate weight is for himself.

However, he has come here asking about the bowflex, which indicates to me that he doesn't have the ability to determine for himself what is most appropriate. And as such, I would err on the side of caution, since none of us know his current fitness level (or if he has any physical conditions that prevent him from going the freeweight route, or if he is recently recovered from surgery, etc. etc. etc.)

Telling him to pick a weight that sounds manly to you, is not helpful to him. Maybe he's SO FAR from being your idea of manly, that if he took your suggestion, he'd cause himself injury. Manly men don't need to tell other people how manly they need to be.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,859,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Telling him to pick a weight that sounds manly to you, is not helpful to him. Maybe he's SO FAR from being your idea of manly, that if he took your suggestion, he'd cause himself injury. Manly men don't need to tell other people how manly they need to be.
No one said anything about being "manly". I just said that since he is a MAN, he should be able to start with 30 pound or 40 pound weights. I use myself as an example - when I was starting out, that is what I got. Ive always been a skinny guy, never the huge ripped guy. 30 and 40 pounds for someone skinny is a VERY GOOD starting point. Its safe to assume that he has no injuries or anything because he didnt mention it. Even Mr. Furley or Spongebob would be able to life 30 pounds. To mention 5 pounds is just ridiculous.

5 - 10 pound weights are what my 90 year old grandmother would use. NOT a dude like the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness