Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If you're broke, buy fruits and vegetables first, and then decide what else you can afford. It's a simple plan, and it works!
But not at Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lifestyles View Post
The shakes I'm purchasing are not packets, they come in a huge container of 100 servings. They are only $75.00 with free shipping on HSN.com. I have not tried them yet, but I believe mixing 2 servings (which is only 140 calories) will create a more rich and creamy taste and double the health benefits.
right off the bat you are making 100 servings into 50 servings. must be small scoops to be 140 calories for 2 servings. maybe you should have 5 servings and get 5 times the health benefits!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:29 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I think there are better shakes out there than what you are getting from HSN. My Optimum Nutrition protein is about $40-50 for 5 lbs and I purchase it online. Tortilla chips, even if they are organic and say whole grain, are still a junk food. They do not compare to the whole grain that is in an actual whole food such as brown rice so I would swap that out personally. Do I buy them occasionally, yes, but I would never make them a staple of my diet, because again, organic or not they are still chips! Greek yogurt is great, but with all the protein in that powder, I assume, there is no reason for that, you could mix with water and a banana or milk if you like creaminess, and just eat the yogurt later as a snack. I would really add some eggs and oatmeal into your diet if I were you as well, eggs are great for protein and good fats and oatmeal is great for fiber, healthy carbs, lowering cholesterol (supposedly), etc. You can even add oats to the shake. When wild fish is on sale, buy it in bulk and freeze it. Not only salmon, there is tuna, and wild cod and halibut are healthy choices as well as orange roughy and flounder.

I think also you are overestimating the costs? Or maybe its all the supplements that are added to it. Shop around for them, like I said before, I have no idea how much we spend on supplements but we have alot, but you can shop around online and get the best prices for your supplements. For example, my daughter doesn't like fish oil, so I get her single serving fish oil packets that are disguised as chocolate. These are $20 for 30 of them, but I pay $30 for 90 of them. Little things like that can really lower the cost of your supplements as well. Nutritionwarehouse, vitacost, are all online supplement stores, and personally I would get my protein from them as well.

Quote:
The shakes I'm purchasing are not packets, they come in a huge container of 100 servings. They are only $75.00 with free shipping on HSN.com. I have not tried them yet, but I believe mixing 2 servings (which is only 140 calories) will create a more rich and creamy taste and double the health benefits.

I agree with you and others that the chili can be homemade and I think I will do that. I am not going to change my breakfast at all, but lunch and dinner could use some work.

Oh, and I had planned on mixing the shake powder in the blender with 8 ounces of water and adding a cup of yogurt and a banana to complete the meal.

And actually the tortilla chips are whole grain. However, they are very expensive and I would probably need be able to buy a new bag every 4 or 5 days as organic chips are dramatically downsized from others. It's just not practical and I will ultimately have to make quite a few changes to my menu before it is complete and the money can talk.

Last edited by Davachka; 06-24-2011 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
OKAY, if you cannot be somewhat respectable (not just to me, but to everyone), don't bother replying or reading anymore of my threads. Seriously, if what I say bothers you so much, DON'T READ and DON'T REPLY. I find your comments very offensive and completely irrational. You do not know my skin color. Please stay away from my threads.
Nothing offensive or disrespectable about what I said. You do know that by saying what you said above, its pretty much an invitation for me to comment on ALL of your threads now. ALL OF THEM!!! Oh, and you do know that really, you dont OWN any threads here. They are basically public and anyone at anytime and comment however they see fit providing they follow the CD TOS.

I look forward to being a VERY active participant in all of your threads.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
If you're broke, buy fruits and vegetables first, and then decide what else you can afford. It's a simple plan, and it works!

Very bad idea, protein is much more important than sugar.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Trader Joe's also has organic stuff and it is much cheaper than Whole Foods. I agree you should ditch the shakes some of the supplements. Why do you take Citricel (sp.)?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Well, I just revamped my whole foods diet plan and if I want to follow it efficiently, it appears I will have to spend $500 a month on food!

I am the only person in my household. So, it's just me that I am feeding. I'm 23 years old and in fairly decent health. I feel like $500 is not a realistic price. That would take 1/3 of my pay check and my rent is almost that a month. Not too mention I do receive monthly spa treatments and buy ridiculously expensive skin care and other beauty products that I have become addicted to and just cannot cut out of my budget. Next month just for general beauty maintenance I am going to be spending $500!

I estimate how much things will cost by the month as I tend to go broke if I don't do this. I really don't know what to do. Or perhaps I do, I'm just having trouble making a decision. All of this does not include my cell phone bill, internet or the amount it takes to put gas in my car. Not to forget my car insurance and going out with friends.

Healthy living is important to me. But, with being a full-time student and full-time emloyee, it's certainly not easy to uphold this lifestyle for very long. Before today I have been eating processed junk. I have been taking care of myself in every way, except for watching what I eat. I need to start now!

Here is the sample menu I made and I'm just curious to what advice you may have about my diet and budget. I make $1500 a month.

BREAKFAST

Andrew Lessman Secure Complete Meal Replacement Shake ~ 2 servings
Greek Gods Plain Greek Yogurt
Banana
Viactiv Calcium Soft Chews

LUNCH

Romaine Lettuce
Tomatoes
Broccoli
Carrots
Apple Slices
Blueberries
Wild Salmon
Olive Oil
Salad Dressing
Flax Oil Seeds
Endless Youth Multivitamins

DINNER

Citrucel with SmartFiber
Amy's Organic Chili
Tomatoes
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Tortilla Chips
Sweet Potato
Honey
Nature's Bounty Vitamin D-1000 IU
Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil

What should I keep? What should I eliminate?
Thank you all!

Justin

Don't be afraid to spend now. It will pay off later. When you are restored you will need less and less outside beauty treatments. Its insane what good food can do for your skin and insides.

Here is what you want to buy organic:
EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides | Environmental Working Group | EWG.org

Other things you can skimp on. Check out the prices at all local markets on organics. You can always find cheaper.

Look at your vitamin intake. I think that needs to be lowered. Your body only needs a certain amount and can only uptake a certain amount. You have to give yourself time to restore instead of trying to cram it all in.

For a drink check out vega naturals:
Features & Benefits - Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer (http://myvega.com/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits - broken link)
You can stop any supplements if you eat that stuff. (fishoil, calcium, fiber, vitamins- it kinda pays for itself because of skipping those)

Do you like sardines? Get the wild ones of those in olive oil. Its cheaper than salmon & has lower toxin load. I put them on crackers or toast tips like a mayo-less tuna salad of sorts.

You can also batch up your own yogurt. Its a fun little project to pinch some pennies. I think its better than store bought. You just need an oven but those yogurt maker gadgets are really neat.

Try frozen fruit and veggies to supplement your fresh stuff. Much cheaper. Especially when it comes to things like blueberries and raspberries. They are INSANE for what they want for tiny little tubs of those!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Yes, I second that on the frozen fruit, better cost savings

Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
BREAKFAST

Skip the meal replacement shakes. If you eat properly, you won't need them.

Buy a less expensive brand of Greek yogurt. Chobani is good. Buy it on sale and stock up; the stuff doesn't go bad for months.
Quote:
LUNCH
Buy your veggies when they're on sale; eat only what's on sale. Same with the salmon or whatever protein source you use in your salads.

Why so many vitamins -- and why the pricey ones?
Quote:
DINNER
Make your own chili.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
[/b][/i]Skip the meal replacement shakes. If you eat properly, you won't need them.
There is no difference between eating food or a meal replacement shake. They can be quality or crap.

The one I suggested is perfect. 5 bucks a serving and replaces all the extras the OP already takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness