Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,806 times

Advertisements

Money is tight now and I can no longer afford a gym membership. I also can't afford to buy weightlifting equipment; however, I do have a 60lb dumb bell.

In regards to eating, I can't afford to buy supplements/protein powders and pounds and pounds of chicken breast.

Is there anyway for me to build muscle or at least get a decent non-cardio workout? I know I could do pushups, but I doubt pushups will help me build muscle. Pushups are mainly an endurance exercise.

Has anyone on here ever been in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
my gym membership is ultimately free because my health insurance provider reimburses me for it.

push ups, dips, pull ups will build muscle on you. you want more weight on your push ups, have someone sit on your back.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Yep. Use your body for resistance.

When pushups become easy, do them elevated or with somebody on your back. Practice planke progressions.

Practice lunges and goblet squats with your 60lb dumbell. When that is too easy, practice one-legged squats, and then one-legged jump squats.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 PM

163 posts, read 712,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Money is tight now and I can no longer afford a gym membership. I also can't afford to buy weightlifting equipment; however, I do have a 60lb dumb bell.

In regards to eating, I can't afford to buy supplements/protein powders and pounds and pounds of chicken breast.

Is there anyway for me to build muscle or at least get a decent non-cardio workout? I know I could do pushups, but I doubt pushups will help me build muscle. Pushups are mainly an endurance exercise.

Has anyone on here ever been in this situation?
I don't post much but this caught my eye- Safeway has GREAT deals on chicken breast about once a month. A package of 7 skinless, boneless breast that will cost you about 7 or 8 bucks. That's like a buck a chicken and they are huge. I always buy two packages and stick them in baggies in the freezer (that gives me about 14 to 16 breasts).
Just a suggestion so if you have a safeway nearby, keep an eye out.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
To be honest "money is tight" is highly variable. Chicken can be had for as low as $.79/pound. Chicken freezes well, from my experience if you want to stock up.

Gym equipment can be had on Craigslist. I've seen simple sets of a bench, weights, rods, and a couple of clamp-wires sell for as little as $40-50. The irons may have a slight patina on them, but at that cost, such cosmetic flaws are forgotten.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Chicken, eggs, cottage cheese and tuna are all inexpensive, as are several varieties of fish. Protein powder can be purchased for much less when in bulk, but again, its not a requirement, just practical.
Also, shop around for gym memberships, yes some are costly, but there are other gyms, more basic ones where the monthly memberships are low. I think Planet Fitness is one of them, only $15-20 a month, pretty sure I recall billboard advertisements.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Buy higher fat ground beef in bulk, divide it up into smaller amounts (or individual burger patties) and freeze it. Find a produce market that sells slightly past prime time vegetables for cheaper. Don't buy any foods with high carbs. Drink only water.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
You can get a large container of whey protein powder at Walmart for about $14 bucks and it should last you a good month or so (if you just take one scoop a day). Not really a bad deal.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Sometimes mixes can be cheaper than food. But cheap alternatives to meat would be eggs, and complete proteins of a vegetarian type diet.

More complete proteins that are cheap as they are plant based:
Incomplete vs Complete Proteins

What's a Complete Protein? Inquiring Vegetarians Want to Know

Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
You don't need to. Inexpensive proteins include eggs, canned tuna, ground turkey or chicken.

Do you have a freezer? Watch for sales on meats and stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness