Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM

582 posts, read 1,018,048 times

Advertisements

I just got an elliptical machine about a week ago and I have been using it for 15-20 minutes a day. Is it alright if I keep using it every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,628,583 times
Yes, but you should do intervals in order to keep your body guessing. If you don't, eventually it will stop being beneficial (and that will happen soon). You need to go hard for a minute or two so you are pushing at your max, then go easy again, then go hard, etc. If you can adjust the "incline" you should do that too. By the way I think you should bump up the time to at least 30 minutes. 15-20 isn't enough, unless this is a warm-up to weight lifting.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:02 PM

530 posts, read 774,733 times
Depends on your current fitness level and goals.

The American College of Sports Medicine says 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week is good. But you may want to start off with 10 to 15 min sessions, adding 5 min to your sessions each week until you reach 30 min sessions.

You really don't want to do too much too soon, or you may risk injury or burnout.

Have fun!!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,459,991 times
you can do it twice a day!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,773,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I just got an elliptical machine about a week ago and I have been using it for 15-20 minutes a day. Is it alright if I keep using it every day?
Yes you can assuming your general health is suitable for sustained use.
Then add Intensity training and as mentioned above also include other routines to avoid muscle memory laziness.

I did an hour per day every day for six months and became quite lean using Intensity workouts.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,007,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Yes, but you should do intervals in order to keep your body guessing. If you don't, eventually it will stop being beneficial (and that will happen soon). You need to go hard for a minute or two so you are pushing at your max, then go easy again, then go hard, etc. If you can adjust the "incline" you should do that too. By the way I think you should bump up the time to at least 30 minutes. 15-20 isn't enough, unless this is a warm-up to weight lifting.
Agree!

I saw the most benefit on my elliptical when I did intervals on it. Very easy to do and it at least keeps it interesting.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,867,825 times
Muscle memory laziness does not apply to cardiovascular exercise. Intervals are fine but so is simply working at a fixed resistance for a fixed time. Your heart doesn't care and most peoples goal on ellipticals is weight loss. The calories will be burned as a function of time x intensity. Intervals make cardio interesting but the people who stick a book or a TV in their faces and spin for an hour are much better off for having done that than doing nothing at all. IMO.

H

Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM

i really liked the intervals when i was doing it. keeps things interesting because you are watching the clock and changing speed every minute. plus it gives you a chance to go all out every few minutes so you really can push yourself and you know that at the end of the minute you can ease up. my shirt used to be 100% drenched in sweat when i did that.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,822,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Muscle memory laziness does not apply to cardiovascular exercise. Intervals are fine but so is simply working at a fixed resistance for a fixed time. Your heart doesn't care and most peoples goal on ellipticals is weight loss. The calories will be burned as a function of time x intensity. Intervals make cardio interesting but the people who stick a book or a TV in their faces and spin for an hour are much better off for having done that than doing nothing at all. IMO.

H
When I was doing HIIT my endurance for moderate exertion exercise increased exponentially. Running intervals is much more tiring than jogging at a slow-moderate pace and will give you much better endurance.

Muscle memory refers only to weight lifting and other muscle related activities. I think the word we're looking for here is "plateau." HIIT keep you from plateauing too soon.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 PM

the problem with jogging at a singe pace over a long period of time is that most people never push themself. when i go to the gym and look at the cardio area, most people are barely walking on those things. with hiit, you push yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness