U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 AM
 
507 posts, read 584,827 times
Reputation: 765
Default How long to see results?

I'm hoping to get some feedback from the fitness gurus and those that have BTDT. I'm 48, 5 ft 4 and weigh about 125. I'd like to be closer to 115 as my frame is small, but my real goal is to tone and get some muscle definition.

I just joined a gym for resistance training and have been there 5 times so far.... If I use all the machines I'm working all the muscle groups, which I've been doing. Feel a little sore, but doing okay.

My question is how long before I can expect to see results? I'm committed to go 5 days a week. I'm wondering if I should also cut calories? My diet isn't too bad but I do like to splurge on wings and beer or something similar 1-2 per week.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2011, 09:58 AM
 
4,752 posts, read 3,748,450 times
Reputation: 2025
Diet will get you results faster than the workouts, honestly. That's not to say I'm suggesting you forego the gym!

I would expect 3-4 weeks before you see many results. Also, I would encourage you to take before and after pics, for your own reference. You see yourself everyday, so the incremental changes might not be very noticeable to you. The 30-day time lapse pics will help judge your progress. Also, keep mental notes about how your clothes fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
 
507 posts, read 584,827 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Diet will get you results faster than the workouts, honestly. That's not to say I'm suggesting you forego the gym!

I would expect 3-4 weeks before you see many results. Also, I would encourage you to take before and after pics, for your own reference. You see yourself everyday, so the incremental changes might not be very noticeable to you. The 30-day time lapse pics will help judge your progress. Also, keep mental notes about how your clothes fit.
Thanks. I've been wondering if I need to cut calories too... I was thinking the extra energy used at the gym might be enough, but I'm eager to see results so I guess I better start cutting out my favorite high calorie foods. Damn, lol. I do tend to like some high calorie stuff like fried veggies, pizza, burgers, etc. Plus beer.... it is light beer though

Not sure if I can take good pics of myself.... but I will notice it with my clothes.

Thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Wallis and Futuna
11,218 posts, read 15,160,053 times
Reputation: 16418
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Thanks. I've been wondering if I need to cut calories too... I was thinking the extra energy used at the gym might be enough, but I'm eager to see results so I guess I better start cutting out my favorite high calorie foods. Damn, lol. I do tend to like some high calorie stuff like fried veggies, pizza, burgers, etc. Plus beer.... it is light beer though

Not sure if I can take good pics of myself.... but I will notice it with my clothes.

Thanks for the advice
You don't have to cut "out" those foods, but you might want to cut "down" on them. For instance - you know burgers come with fries, sometimes also with slaw. However many fries you usually eat with that burger, cut that amount in half. If you only usually eat half the fries, then from now on only eat a quarter of them. Fried veggies - eh. Only eat them when you're with someone else who's sharing it, and let them eat the bigger half. One really great tip regarding that stuff - if you're dipping it in dressing, dip the FORK in the dressing, and THEN spear the veggie. You'll get a taste of dressing on each forkful of fried stuff, without overdoing it. Pizza - limit yourself to one or two slices. Beer: drink water before the food comes, order the beer after the food arrives, and only drink one.

As for working out, you'll probably burn out if you're working every body group every day 5 days a week. You might be better off deciding which one area you need the most work on. Upper body (arms shoulders back), abdomen, butt, or legs. Then, cycle the workouts.

For instance, with me, my problem area is my abdomen. For medical reasons, I -need- to keep it strong, and I am limited on the kind of training I can do with my back and knees. And so. One day I do cardio, legs, and planks for my abdomen. The next day I'll do cardio, russian twists for my abdomen, plus back and butt. The next day I'll do cardio, a "lite" day of abdomen - just a couple sets on the crunch machine, and chest presses. That's my "day off." The next day I'll do cardio, back to planks, biceps and triceps. Once a week I'll add some limited back exercises.

As you can see, I ALWAYS do some kind of cardio, every day. I usually ride my bicycle to the gym plus do 15-20 minutes of either treadmill or eliptical (depending on how my knees feel that day). And I -always- do some kind of abdominal exercise, though I go easy on them a couple of days out of the week.

I've lost inches in my waistline, and I can see more definition to pretty much every part of my body now. Where my upper arms used to wobble and sag pretty unpleasantly, now they sag just a bit, and only wobble when I stretch my arms out and don't flex. It's been 2 months so I'd say that's a pretty awesome accomplishment. I still have a long way to go on my stomach, but the muscles themselves are MUCH stronger now than they were, and that's really helping my back (I have a spine problem and my stomach muscles need to be strong to do some of the work in keeping me upright that my spine can't do as well as it used to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 20,513,182 times
Reputation: 6630
Be careful with diet, however. While there's nothing wrong with cutting/bulking, if you cut your calories to less than 90% of your total daily caloric requirement you're going to lose some muscle and organ tissue along with the fat. It's a pretty delicate line that you have to walk if you want to lose fat and tone/build muscle at the same time.

About soreness - If you are working out once a week (it can be enough to tone up) then it isn't such a big deal, but if you go to the gym three times a week and do the same routine with the same muscles you are eventually going to start breaking your muscles down rather than building them up. Recovery is every bit as important as putting in the time at the gym and having the discipline to subject yourself to the discomfort of the workout. If you're still sore, your muscles need more time to heal. During recovery your body is trying to decide what the hell just happened and how it can be more ready for it next time. That soreness is actually damage to your muscle tissue and while you recover your body is fortifying itself against the stresses it experienced, which is why progressive, variable resistance schedules are so important if you want to continue to improve your strength and physique and avoid a plateau.

Mix it up, don't do the same thing every time and let your body tell you when it's ready for the next workout (it's smarter than you think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Reputation: 6448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Be careful with diet, however. While there's nothing wrong with cutting/bulking, if you cut your calories to less than 90% of your total daily caloric requirement you're going to lose some muscle and organ tissue along with the fat. It's a pretty delicate line that you have to walk if you want to lose fat and tone/build muscle at the same time.
From what I read that's more of a concern with a low fat diet. A high fat/protein controlled carb diet, particuarly one where you maintain a state of ketosis supposedly burns fat without burning that much muscle tissue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 20,513,182 times
Reputation: 6630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
From what I read that's more of a concern with a low fat diet. A high fat/protein controlled carb diet, particuarly one where you maintain a state of ketosis supposedly burns fat without burning that much muscle tissue.
That could definitely be true, I don't really know. If the goal is to maintain ketosis, isn't consistent, high-intensity muscle stress pretty important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Parkridge, East Knoxville, TN
453 posts, read 525,456 times
Reputation: 325
From my experience I'd say 2 to 3 months. As long as you stay sore you know you're doing something right. Do all of your lifts slow and hold the resistance for 1 second each time. Never lock your joints or let the weights go all the way down. This will help tremendously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
 
Location: In the clouds
861 posts, read 189,265 times
Reputation: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
I'm hoping to get some feedback from the fitness gurus and those that have BTDT. I'm 48, 5 ft 4 and weigh about 125. I'd like to be closer to 115 as my frame is small, but my real goal is to tone and get some muscle definition.

I just joined a gym for resistance training and have been there 5 times so far.... If I use all the machines I'm working all the muscle groups, which I've been doing. Feel a little sore, but doing okay.

My question is how long before I can expect to see results? I'm committed to go 5 days a week. I'm wondering if I should also cut calories? My diet isn't too bad but I do like to splurge on wings and beer or something similar 1-2 per week.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
After a month you should start seeing results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
 
507 posts, read 584,827 times
Reputation: 765
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice, it is much appreciated. I was back at the gym today and then had some cottage cheese and a half a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread. Tonight I'm making Chicken Marsala with a salad and skipping the pasta I usually make with it. Since I'm only at the beginning of week two I have a ways to go....

Question- does weight go up with resistance training? I'm wondering if I should pay attention to the scale or not?

By the way, I wanted to mention that even in this short time I've noticed that I sleep better on the days I go to the gym. I noticed because I usually struggle with insomnia.

This needs to be a life change for me...... funny how humans seem to settle into sedentary living. We should be more naturally motivated to be active. I wonder why we aren't? Truth- I had a strong cup of coffee this morning to help me get to the gym. What do others do for motivation and/or energy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top