U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times
Reputation: 6483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Bosco, have you done P90x? The OP was specifically asking about nutrition while on P90x. I think you may be the one displaying the lack of knowledge on this topic.

If he is taking in 1500 calories and burning 1000 calories on P90x. His body will be in starvation mode.
You know, your body can only remain in "starvation mode" for a short time. It can't defy the laws of physics. Burn 3,000 and maintain a 1,500 calorie diet and you will lose weight. It doesn't matter if you're doing P90X or walking several miles a day.

Also, if you want to make that 1,500 tolerable, cut out the carbs and eat more fat.

IMHO, fear of going into "starvation mode" is one of the most overplayed excuses for people who just don't want to eat less.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-20-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM
 
5 posts, read 4,202 times
Reputation: 10
BOSCO, I am not 100% sure on this, but my original was over 23%.

I use the EAS from Sam's Club. 130 cal a shake with 2.5 fat, 3 carbs and 23 protein (from the nutrition data on the bag)

CAVA1990, I was easting 1700 calories after before this last round. I did not see a big loss in weight. So I cut back to 1500 and that is when I was getting hungry all the time. I went back to 1700, give or take a few, and I was fine. I'm not afraid to eat less if I have to. (if is sounds like I am being snippy, I am not. Just making a statement)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM
 
3,490 posts, read 5,180,459 times
Reputation: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You know, your body can only remain in "starvation mode" for a short time. It can't defy the laws of physics. Burn 3,000 and maintain a 1,500 calorie diet and you will lose weight. It doesn't matter if you're doing P90X or walking several miles a day.

Also, if you want to make that 1,500 tolerable, cut out the carbs and eat more fat.

IMHO, fear of going into "starvation mode" is one of the most overplayed excuses for people who just don't want to eat less.
Lol, ok. I mean sure - I could eat 600 cals a day and lose weight, but the long term effects would do a lot more harm than good.

My aim for the past couple of years has been long term, sustainable fitness and weight management.

I find I do as much harm by eating too little as I do by eating too much. But we can only speak from our own experience.

A program like P90X or Insanity is a full on, extreme fitness commitment. Try and do it on too large a calorie defecit for too long and you'll have a real problem on your hands.

This person is NOT eating too much or making excuses to eat more.
I agree it can be used as an excuse in some cases, but this does not appear to be one of them... in fact quite the reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times
Reputation: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiren View Post
CAVA1990, I was easting 1700 calories after before this last round. I did not see a big loss in weight. So I cut back to 1500 and that is when I was getting hungry all the time. I went back to 1700, give or take a few, and I was fine. I'm not afraid to eat less if I have to. (if is sounds like I am being snippy, I am not. Just making a statement)
Then you must not have been burning 3,000 calories. If you were you should have seen a loss of over 2 pounds a week. Perhaps your p90X isn't burning enough and you'd do better on lower intensity sustained exercise. i've been losing 2-3 pounds a week steadily by just walking 7-8 miles a day. perhaps get yourself a pedometer and try that instead for a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
11,005 posts, read 10,021,998 times
Reputation: 5929
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Bosco, have you done P90x? The OP was specifically asking about nutrition while on P90x. I think you may be the one displaying the lack of knowledge on this topic.
Do you think P90X is so special that it requires a nutrition plan significantly different from ones used in other workout programs?

(Hint: It doesn't)

Quote:
If he is taking in 1500 calories and burning 1000 calories on P90x. His body will be in starvation mode.
He's not going to be burning 1000 calories. An hour of P90x will burn around 300-400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Also, if you want to make that 1,500 tolerable, cut out the carbs and eat more fat
Good idea. That would should work well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiren View Post
BOSCO, I am not 100% sure on this, but my original was over 23%.
Nice progress then!

Quote:
I use the EAS from Sam's Club. 130 cal a shake with 2.5 fat, 3 carbs and 23 protein (from the nutrition data on the bag)
That's the same one I use alot of the time. It's a fairly good product.

Quote:
CAVA1990, I was easting 1700 calories after before this last round. I did not see a big loss in weight. So I cut back to 1500 and that is when I was getting hungry all the time. I went back to 1700, give or take a few, and I was fine. I'm not afraid to eat less if I have to. (if is sounds like I am being snippy, I am not. Just making a statement)
When you cut back to 1500, did you notice your weight loss pick up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
 
3,490 posts, read 5,180,459 times
Reputation: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post



He's not going to be burning 1000 calories. An hour of P90x will burn around 300-400.

?
Where on earth did you get this from? Have you tried doing Plyometrics recently?
Have you ever done a P90X workout? Or are you just making stuff up as you go along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
 
3,490 posts, read 5,180,459 times
Reputation: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Then you must not have been burning 3,000 calories. If you were you should have seen a loss of over 2 pounds a week. Perhaps your p90X isn't burning enough and you'd do better on lower intensity sustained exercise. i've been losing 2-3 pounds a week steadily by just walking 7-8 miles a day. perhaps get yourself a pedometer and try that instead for a few weeks.
Have you tried P90X? Why would you think it wouldn't burn enough calories?

OP go check out the P90X forum boards at Beachbody. They know the workouts you are doing, how much you burn and what to eat. It really is an invaluable resource - I would definitely advise you to take advantage of it so you get more tailored advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
 
4,779 posts, read 4,029,723 times
Reputation: 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Where on earth did you get this from? Have you tried doing Plyometrics recently?
Have you ever done a P90X workout? Or are you just making stuff up as you go along?

Calories Burned
On average, 480 calories are burned per hour when performing plyometric exercises. To accurately calculate your calories burned, take into consideration your BMI, intensity and heart rate.


Read more: How Many Calories Are Burned In One Hour Of P90x Plyometrics? | LIVESTRONG.COM




It's a looooong way from an average of 480 to 1000. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times
Reputation: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Have you tried P90X? Why would you think it wouldn't burn enough calories?

OP go check out the P90X forum boards at Beachbody. They know the workouts you are doing, how much you burn and what to eat. It really is an invaluable resource - I would definitely advise you to take advantage of it so you get more tailored advice.
Well the scale doesn't lie. He's either burning less or eating more than he's letting on. I'm sure you can do P90X half-assed like anything else. There's a natural tendency to think because an exercise routine is intense it's burning a bunch of calories, but that's not really the case. That's why it's usually more effective to control your diet rather than up your exercise if you want to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 16,497,023 times
Reputation: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Calories Burned
On average, 480 calories are burned per hour when performing plyometric exercises. To accurately calculate your calories burned, take into consideration your BMI, intensity and heart rate.


Read more: How Many Calories Are Burned In One Hour Of P90x Plyometrics? | LIVESTRONG.COM




It's a looooong way from an average of 480 to 1000. No?
According to the Mayo Clinic I'm burning about 300 per hour doing brisk walking. That's not that great a difference. I'll walk, skip a glass of milk and drink water and have the same net calorie effect as a P90X milk drinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top