U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 AM

154 posts, read 187,139 times
Default Exercising make you cry?

Has anyone else ever had a period in their life when they were stressed and for some odd reason exercising one minute would enduce uncontrollable crying ? It isnt so much an emotional/mental thing as it seems to be a physical trigger.

Could it be you produce more adrenaline when you run and for someone stressed out, this causes actual crying ?

Ive talked to other people who started working out after not working out for a long time and they said the same thing happened to them. They said they were at the gym, feeling very positive and ready to go/determined and from no where after doing 5 sit-ups they began crying. This is so embarassing for some people, but I have heard of others this has happened to.

What are the physical reasons for this exactly?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,996,595 times
Not exactly. I have pushed so hard tears were coming out of my eyes. Especially bicycling against a cold wind. Of course, being male, I won't admit I might have been crying.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM

258 posts, read 198,650 times
I have never had this happen to me even when working out super stressed. However I would imagine it would be similar to the feeling of releasing pent up emotion all at once, which could make sense.

Like you're finally alone with your thoughts and letting the emotions overflow? I'm visually thinking of someone letting stress go all at once at top of cliff by screaming and breaking the dam of pent up frustration

Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 AM

295 posts, read 771,015 times
Some fighters cry uncontrollably at the end of their fights. This is usually the result of lots of stress prior to the fight, and when the fighter is exhausted, there is nothing left to hold back the tears. Being that you are not exhausted after five sit-ups, this isn't likely the case. But probably related...

Maybe you spend enough energy in dealing with your stress throughout the day, that focusing your energy on something strenuous is enough to overwhelm your senses and cause a breakdown. Sit-ups require controlled breathing. Distracting the diaphragm with exercise, or taking those deep breaths may be enough to distract the physical barriers to holding in stress. Elevated hormone production that occurs during exercise could also play a role (likely a combination of hormones and physical 'distraction').

There are lots of articles and blogs about it, and most suggest something similar. Needless to say, I could not find any posts or articles about this happening to men.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:56 AM

154 posts, read 187,139 times
Men and women are the same emotionally (IMO)...unless some woman is suffering from some strange PMS, so I would say either men are not admitting it or are socially programmed not to recognize.

Gumby, I think you are right though...it is something to do with elevated hormones when working out or not having the strength to manage feelings you have pent up all day when your body becomes exhausted.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM

17,387 posts, read 13,617,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
Men and women are the same emotionally (IMO)
i cant agree with that.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,205,787 times
Quote:
Men and women are the same emotionally .
I TOTALLY disagree with that. They are the same as far as being able to experience different emotions, but that is it. I am not going to get all emotional and cry at a dance performance on So You Think You Can Dance or watching a beautiful Viennese Walt. Mrs Lao would cry because she's a chick and chicks get emotional over stuff like that. Not me.

If you are crying while exercising its probably because you just got out of a relationship and are crying because you feel ugly and now have to workout to get attractive again.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Some fighters cry uncontrollably at the end of their fights. This is usually the result of lots of stress prior to the fight, and when the fighter is exhausted, there is nothing left to hold back the tears.
I TOTALLY disagree with this too. As a fighter, I can say this is totally not true. If they do cry its because of the emotion of capturing thier lifelong dream of winning a world title or the Olympic Gold Medal. Not because they are tired and emotional from improving their 12 wins and 15 losses record. This is how athletes feel when they reach the pinnacle of their lifelong chosen sport/career. Its FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR removed from doing a couple of situps at 24HR Fitness then bursting into tears. I mean come on.

OP, have you considered counseling?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM

295 posts, read 771,015 times
Quote:
Men and women are the same emotionally (IMO)...unless some woman is suffering from some strange PMS, so I would say either men are not admitting it or are socially programmed not to recognize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i cant agree with that.
Studies on the brain have shown differences in the emotional capacities of men and women - both in the ways we manage stress and display our feelings (hell, even acknowledging the feelings exist for men). We may all laugh and cry; but the amount of stimulus required to trigger these emotions is sometimes extremely different. Much of what we display emotion for is based on events or things (people) we care about, or affects us directly. All things considered, men probably care a lot less about everything (in general) than women do. This is, of course, a personal opinion.

One of the many websites exploring this debate...
Emotional Wiring Different in Men and Women | LiveScience

Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Studies on the brain have shown differences in the emotional capacities of men and women - both in the ways we manage stress and display our feelings (hell, even acknowledging the feelings exist for men). We may all laugh and cry; but the amount of stimulus required to trigger these emotions is sometimes extremely different. Much of what we display emotion for is based on events or things (people) we care about, or affects us directly. All things considered, men probably care a lot less about everything (in general) than women do. This is, of course, a personal opinion.

One of the many websites exploring this debate...
Emotional Wiring Different in Men and Women | LiveScience
That explains why I tend to cry at most NFL Hall Of Fame Induction ceremonies. I mean really, what normal human being DIDNT shed a tear when watching "Sweetness" Walter Payton being inducted into the NFL Hall Of Fame? And how could anyone NOT cry when Giant Robot sacrificed his life to save the Earth from evil Emperor Guillotine from the planet Gargoyle? Heck, it almost brings tears to my eyes just thinking about when my all time sports hero and true American (and world hero) Muhammad Ali dies. Already told my wife that I will be inconsolable when this happens.

People react differently to different emotional stimuli. Its totally true that us guys just dont get as emotional as women. Like few years ago when that heavyweight boxer broke down during the fight and start crying. Everyone was like "WTF?" Dude had serious mental issues going on and I beleive that the OP does as well if she just started crying for no reason while working out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness