Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, then they shouldnt be fat because they are too poor to afford the extra food. they must also be doing alright because they decided to have a family so i assume they have ample resources for raising children.
wow, just wow, the ignorance, the truth is alot of the cheapest food is the most unhealthy, and usually loaded with carbs. Box dinners, mac and cheese, bread, potato chips. Alot of the pre-packaged, ready made stuff is heavy on carbs and the cheapest.

I just bought 7 pounds of cherries at $3/pound but that's because I can and they're seasonal but I don't expect too many out there to do that.

even apples have become ridiculously expensive, it's not uncommon to see them for close to $2/pound, even in the midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
The point is, like lao mentioned in post #2, that most who say they can't afford a gym membership can miraculously afford iPhones, starbucks cofee etc.

So you are saying that these poor people can't spare $10/month for a gym membership?
*Seriously that's not even enough for one beer in some bars around here.
*It's less than I spend on mouthwash/month
*Its about 4 liters of lactose-free milk...

Somebody call the UN; America is in urgent poverty!
um, where is there a $10/month gym, and even if there's one, I guarantee most don't have ready geographic access to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I use my community center's gym and aquatic center, which is a very new, very nice state of the art facility (nicer and more well-appointed than some of the private, chain gyms in town, actually). It costs only $15 a month for unlimited access, all classes free to members (I go to yoga and water aerobics and a dance class most often, my boyfriend goes to virtual cycling, a spin class). It's run by our city's parks and rec department, and you have to be a local resident to get that rate, since the upkeep comes out of the local tax base. But it's one of those times that living in a suburb populated by well-to-do soccer moms who like their pilates classes pays off. It's a really nice facility.

If I had to pay more than that, I'd just exercise outdoors on my own, which is what I did before we moved to a community with such a nice resource.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
the truth is alot of the cheapest food is the most unhealthy
there is just as much cheap healthy food as cheap unhealthy food. even if you ate the "unhealthy" food, if you ate less of it you wouldnt be a fatty. people dont need to eat your fancy pants cherries or apples to be healthy.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
In some areas, namely NYC and Boston they can be incredibly more expensive- but you only get one body and I say it's worth every penny.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
So I see over and over again both here and on the weightloss forum how people say they can't afford a gym membership, or don't want to put out so much "hard earned money"(sounds like you'd have to work your hands bleeding for a day to get a dollar) for a membership etc... but looking around I can't think of anyone but a bum in the streets who'd be able to blame that here... So I get curious just how expensive can it be?

So the cost here for a student is about $200, and about $300 for any other adult/year.
The most expensive gyms take about $1000/year, I'd pay that if they were closer because they're less crowded, wouldn't be a problem to afford it either, even on my low pay-check.

So what do gyms cost? cheap ones, expensive ones?
Here's what comes to mind... About thirty years ago I began my running career. I was getting near thirty at the time and I sucked at tennis. So I took up running. I pretty much have sucked at that too, but at least I wasn't losing to an opponent every time out. I tried to get a friend of mine to take up running too but he said he "didn't have the time". Except in rare circumstances, this is the greatest excuse going. But that's okay. It was not my physical fitness or my decision. It was his.

Anyway, I pay $20 a month to go run on an elliptical/treadmill at a fitness center. I think I paid something to join too. Maybe $50 or so. That was about ten years ago and my memory is short. I figure as long as a person is gainfully employed, he or she can afford a fitness center membership. It might take a bit of skimping, but it can be done. I figure anyone who doesn't try is just making an excuse.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,532 times
I pay $65 per month for lifetime fitness and it's definitely worth it. Fitness is important to me and I would cut out other things in my budget to afford a gym membership.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
I just moved to one of the most expensive cities in the US.

Just found a membership for $200 for 18 months....or $20 monthly which includes a guest pass for everytime I come, so basically $10 for me and $10 for a family member. And it is a large, new, nice gym. I am joining there as well as a boxing gym.

Yes, there are extremely expensive gyms, but with 5 minutes of looking there are always alternatives.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
It's just excuses. Most gym memberships around my area are around $30-40 per month. Many insurance companies and other programs (Silver Sneakers, etc) offer reimbursements for memberships. Some companies even cover costs on a gym membership. A lot of people are just using the "I can't afford it" excuse to admit they aren't dedicated enough to actually USE a gym membership.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
First of all, we have to separate two different issues here. I would definitely say that for some people a gym membership is "too expensive" and it's a fair statement. Especially in this economy, I know a lot of people who have a family and literally have to decide which staple food items they will cut out so they can pay the electric bill that month. How they got there is irrelevant...for someone in this situation, I think it is responsible to choose paying utilities/for food/gas/etc. over paying for a gym membership.

Having said that, a gym is not necessary for someone to be in shape or fit. If someone uses that as an excuse for not working out or staying healthy, then that is a total cop out....they should just say the truth, which is "I don't care enough about being healthy to workout." versus shifting the blame in a way to make people feel sorry for them. Where there's a will, there's a way...running outside is free. Push ups are free. Pullups are free.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
First of all, we have to separate two different issues here. I would definitely say that for some people a gym membership is "too expensive" and it's a fair statement. Especially in this economy, I know a lot of people who have a family and literally have to decide which staple food items they will cut out so they can pay the electric bill that month. How they got there is irrelevant...for someone in this situation, I think it is responsible to choose paying utilities/for food/gas/etc. over paying for a gym membership.

Having said that, a gym is not necessary for someone to be in shape or fit. If someone uses that as an excuse for not working out or staying healthy, then that is a total cop out....they should just say the truth, which is "I don't care enough about being healthy to workout." versus shifting the blame in a way to make people feel sorry for them. Where there's a will, there's a way...running outside is free. Push ups are free. Pullups are free.
500 air squats will kick your butt! Lunges. Oy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness