Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Allow me to explain...I want to turn the spare bedroom in my house into a workout room. I usually do DVDs at home, mostly cardio, strength, and yoga. I don't need a ton of floor space for any of that but the room is only 9x10 so I don't have a ton of space for multiple machines.

I'm not a big fan of stationary bikes because they make my butt hurt. Ellipticals are OK but the type I could afford aren't all that great. Plus I hear they're not great for cardio because they rely a lot on momentum, and my feet always get numb on them anyway.

So that kind of leaves us with treadmills, rowing machines, and stairsteppers. Or one of those 'all in one' type things for strength, like a bowflex.

What would you do if you were me? Advice/suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,942 times
1: If I could only chose one:
power-rack with a lifting-pit kinda rubber floor beneath and a bench, for doing squats, power-cleans, benchpress etc. There are types that come with a ready bar sticking out for chin-ups.
http://www.squatcage.com/wp-content/...power_rack.jpg
http://www.powerliftingusa.com/artic..._equipment.jpg
Thats's gonna eat about 4-6 square meters.

2: If I could also take a second one I would take a big mirror and adjustable dumbells, not with some fancy lock-function in a block-dumbell, but reall disk-based ones. (there are also youtube vids on how to make these yourself from ironpipes and stuff)
put the mirror infront of the power-rack.

Go running for cardio. Unless you live in alaska your weather is a lot better than mine on average so...:P

Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post

Go running for cardio. Unless you live in alaska your weather is a lot better than mine on average so...:P
I live in Texas...not happening.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
Some kettlebells and a rowing machine.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM

I already have all the free weights/bands/etc that I need/want...just interested in cardio or weight machines, thanks :-)

Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I already have all the free weights/bands/etc that I need/want...just interested in cardio or weight machines, thanks :-)
It's settled then, power-rack-pullupstand combo
Why could you not run in texas? football is a big sport there after all and it's outdoors...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
It's settled then, power-rack-pullupstand combo
Why could you not run in texas? football is a big sport there after all and it's outdoors...
I should mention that I'm female.

It's too hot here and the air is too polluted; I have asthma and it's aggravated by both heat and pollution.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I live in Texas...not happening.

No shyte, bro. I just ran a measly 4 miles but it was in 95 degree heat here in Austin and it kicked my butt. No breeze and 90% of the run was in the sun. I finished an hour ago and I'm still hydrating.

So...being an avid runner my pick for the best piece of cardio equipment would of course be the Treadmill. The bottom line on cardio fitness is that there is nothing like running!! I like the "mill because the pouding on the joints is less than it is running outside, and it's also great for interval training (speedwork) and also for adjusting the inclines so as to replicate hill running.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
No shyte, bro. I just ran a measly 4 miles but it was in 95 degree heat here in Austin and it kicked my butt. No breeze and 90% of the run was in the sun. I finished an hour ago and I'm still hydrating.

So...being an avid runner my pick for the best piece of cardio equipment would of course be the Treadmill. The bottom line on cardio fitness is that there is nothing like running!! I like the "mill because the pouding on the joints is less than it is running outside, and it's also great for interval training (speedwork) and also for adjusting the inclines so as to replicate hill running.
I must admit I'm leaning towards a treadmill, I just wanted to see what arguments people would make for other equipment.

BTW I'm not a bro. I'm a sis.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
I have a treadmill, but I really wanted an erg. I'm hoping to own one by fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness