Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 PM

547 posts, read 937,445 times

Advertisements

Tonight's run had me feeling like I didn't have any energy. I wasn't getting hungry, I just didn't have any energy and managed to run 6 miles at a 7:40 pace. I believe I'm burning around 1000 calories or close to that.

Anyway, today was my fourth day of running straight, didn't have any energy, and also didn't feel as sharp as I did last week.

Here's what I had today for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in that order:

Smart One dinner: 250 calories

Another tv dinner: 500 calories

Another smart one dinner: 200 calories.

I usually average 5-8 miles a day, doing different running workouts like speed run for three minutes followed by 2 minutes of jogging or running a standard 7 miles, etc.

So my question is, should I be eating more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,153,431 times
So you're eating 50 fewer calories than you're burning through exercise, plus the 2,000 calories you burn besides that? Your daily calorie deficit is over 2,000. No wonder you have no energy. No way your body can sustain that. Yes, you should probably double your consumption.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,763,976 times
Yeah those little frozen dinners really aren't a large enough portion size for an active person. You need more food, and healthier food. I enjoy the convenience of frozen meals too and usually have one for a quick lunch at work, but I know they are crap. When I get home I make a real dinner. Something like chicken breast, brown rice and steamed veggies. And try a hearty bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Just as quick to prepare as a frozen meal, but much healthier.

Do you eat any kind of snack before you run? I find eating a banana really gives me the energy to get through a good 6 mile run. You may prefer a granola bar or energy bar. And it wouldn't hurt to take a day or 2 off from your runs so your body can recover.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks. I decided to take today off and go back at it tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

11 posts, read 34,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Tonight's run had me feeling like I didn't have any energy. I wasn't getting hungry, I just didn't have any energy and managed to run 6 miles at a 7:40 pace. I believe I'm burning around 1000 calories or close to that.

Anyway, today was my fourth day of running straight, didn't have any energy, and also didn't feel as sharp as I did last week.

I usually average 5-8 miles a day, doing different running workouts like speed run for three minutes followed by 2 minutes of jogging or running a standard 7 miles, etc.

You are definitely not eating enough! You should eat at least 300-400 calories for breakfast consisting of carbs and protein. Maybe instead of trying those high sodium frozen entrees, try an english muffin with and egg and turkey sausage. Maybe a glass of orange juice to go with.

You need to have a snack in the mid-morning (200 calories).

Lunch should be about another 300-400 calories. Maybe a salad with some grilled chicken and some fruit on the side. Or a grilled chicken breast with some rice.

You should have another snack in the mid afternoon. Something with some carbs.

Dinner can be another 300 calories or so. If it's after you run, make sure it has plenty of protein. You want to fuel your workout with carbs,a nd recover with some protein. Also, if you are running a lot, you may want to drink gatorade instead of water to retain the water and fuel while running.

I think with this, you should have way more energy than you did. And please start eating a little better. just because these frozen dinners represent low calories, doesn't mean they are good for you. They are full of sodium!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM

608 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if you are male or female and what your body proportions are, but if that's all you are eating, it's not a big surprise you have no energy. You're basically starving yourself!

I run about 3 miles per day, and about 1/2 of that is climbing up steep hills, running around an 8 minute pace, so I probably burn about 500 calories in my workout.

Yet, I need to consume about 5,000 calories per day to maintain weight. I'm a little under 6'0" and male. I also have a very high metabolism, so maybe my caloric needs are a bit abnormal, but I imagine if you're running 5-8 miles at under 8 minutes, your metabolism is very high, too.

If you're burning a lot of energy, carbs and calories are your friend. No need to diet.

Even without knowing your sex and proportions, I'd say you should be consuming at least twice as many calories per day. Maybe even 3x - 4x as much.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks.

Since some of you are wondering:

Male
5'11"
195 pounds

I try to do atleast 30-35 miles per week running in and outside.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:32 PM

36,980 posts, read 40,996,276 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Male
5'11"
195 pounds

You can calculate your basal metabolic rate using this info.

BMR Calculator

1985.35 calories. That's just lying in bed doing nothing.

Then adjust for your activity

Harris Benedict Equation

1985 x 1.725 = 3425 calories per day to maintain your current weight

Your BMI is in the overweight range, but that is only a rough indicator of how "fat" you are. You can calculate body fat percentage here with your waist measurement:

Body Fat Calculator

or if you go to a gym someone could do it for you with skin fold measurements or they may have a scale that does it.

You are not eating nearly enough!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM

608 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Male
5'11"
195 pounds

Are you getting any calories from fluids?

I have a hard time imagining someone with those proportions even surviving on 1000 calories a day, while doing heavy exercise.

I'd say that most people in the US get a significant amount of calories from the things they drink. People who drink cola all day can often drink over 1,000 calories per day. Fruit juices also have a significant amount of calories, too. Personally, I'd estimate that I get at least 500 - 700 calories per day from beverages, mostly orange juice and V8.

Everyone's dietary needs are unique. I know because I have an abnormally high metabolism and can eat massive amounts of food that would make other people fat; and yet, I still stay under the average weight. But based on your proportions and your exercise habits, I'd wager to guess you need at least 3,000 calories per day, and possibly even 4,000. 3,500 is my best guess, which seems to be close to what the commenter above came up with.

But really, the best strategy is to eat what you feel like your body needs. If you are low on energy, your body might be signalling you to eat more. If you feel stuffed all the time, that could be a signal to eat less.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,086,520 times
Quote:

I'm a lifelong runner so I can answer your question easily for ya:

It sounds pretty simple bro: you're just over-training. Take about 3-5 days off, maybe do some walking or easy cycling is you're like me and you just gotta do something. But otherwise, take it easy for a bit. A week off would do your wonders and re-charge your batteries.
Also: you need more complex carbos. Try eating some whole grain pasta. I've known very few runners who don't swear by the benefits of pasta & rice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness