Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:21 PM

588 posts, read 1,021,695 times

Advertisements

I can only do it for a very short period of time before I am out of breath. Should I keep trying to jump rope or do some other cardio to lose more weight before continuing with the jump rope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,956,744 times
You probably need a longer rope if it's kicking your ass.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 PM

257 posts, read 606,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I can only do it for a very short period of time before I am out of breath.
If you are running out of breath after just a very short time then I would suggest you see a doctor to get a check up before you start any kind of fitness program...Just to be on the safe side.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,867,537 times
Jumping rope is my third favorite cardio exercise after running/parkour running and heavy bag workout. Its my GO-TO cardio exercise when I am nursing any injury.

You should start off with a goal of 10-15 minutes of jumping and varying your technique like double unders, crossing arms, high knee lifts, one legged, etc.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM

30,175 posts, read 23,571,360 times
I tried that for awhile one time some years back when I was getting in to a "get fit" craze and it also kicked my arse.

It was a little disheartening because I thought about how when I was a wee lass, I used to jump rope for HOURS it seemed, with my friends. But there I was, an adult, in decent shape, not the best but decent, and I couldn't do 5 minutes without thinking I was going to die.

Now if that isn't humbling when it comes to fitness, I don't know what is.

I think it's a very good cardio exercise..you use your legs, butt, calves, arms, and it can also keep your mid area lean...and it definitely exercises that heart.

But start off in smaller increments of time and work your way up. And go to YouTube and watch some of those kids who do that jump roping stuff, flips included, on teams for their schools, to get motivated. Or just be awed.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,867,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And go to YouTube and watch some of those kids who do that jump roping stuff, flips included, on teams for their schools, to get motivated. Or just be awed.
Those kids are pretty good, but its not motivating for someone who wants to do it as a way to get fit. YouTube Buddy Lee for complete fitness motivation. Kids do junk. USA Olympian Buddy Lee is where its at for rope skipping fitness. Plus, he has some good instructional vids out there. People who dont know how to jump, MISTAKENLY think jump rope is high impact when is FACT it is NOT. They just think "Jumping" is high impact, when in reality, it is totally not.

Jump Rope - Buddy Lee - YouTube

Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM

83 posts, read 133,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I can only do it for a very short period of time before I am out of breath. Should I keep trying to jump rope or do some other cardio to lose more weight before continuing with the jump rope?
When I first started I could only go for a short amount of time too. Just keep working at it, I can easily go 10 minutes without really breaking a sweat now and my work outs normally go for about 30 minutes. It's a great conditioning tool, don't give up!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:21 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,949,443 times
bson1257 wrote:
I just started jump roping and I am getting my ass kicked
Back in the day when I did alot of rope jumping I used a rope without feet so I wouldn't get kicked in the *ss. I once did 10,000 non stop jumps without a miss or a kick in the *ss.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:35 PM

44,287 posts, read 19,950,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
If you are running out of breath after just a very short time then I would suggest you see a doctor to get a check up before you start any kind of fitness program...Just to be on the safe side.
This ^ is the best advice on here.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,257,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
Good advice, but you are implying that jumping rope is supposed to be easy. It is a very difficult exercise and he is unaccustomed to it. I would expect him to be out of breath if he hasn't done it in a while, especially if he is overweight.

Go to the doctor, but just because you are out of breath doesn't mean that there is anything physically wrong.

Just start slow and work your way up. And make sure that you are wearing good shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness