Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Lao ! Thanks for posting the Rin Nakai pic ! I'm glad someone understands where I'm coming from !! same thing for you locolobo.

I'm not knocking the slender skinny look...people are gonna like what they like, but don't people choose biology over culture ?? Isn't it more attractive to be biologically fit to bear healthy children ?

Lately I see more feminine men and aggressive women these days (probably due to all the chemicals we eat and television we watch)

but
We haven't really (physically) evolved that much from our primitive ancestors and men for the most part embrace being strong and powerful (or desire it) but women embrace being skinny, frail and homogenous...

This doesn't seem to be ideal for reproduction or a productive lifestyle (hunter / gatherer).

I'm just wondering if it is pressure and criticism from society ? is it truly a genuine desire for women to not look or be strong and healthy ? is it that women value how they look in clothes and photos more than they value an ideal level of fitness ?

I'm really interested in responses from women as to how they feel.
I personally think there is MORE pressure in society to be fit - but more likely to be fit and thin, with SOME muscle. I just dont think MOST women want to look like that. I think they either want to be very thin, or just dont make workout and diet a priority. This is just MY opinion.

I have a short, stocky body. It's my build. I have big boobs and a big butt. I can get thinner - but i cant ever be tall and thin. I can get muscles, and i have some that are always there - especially legs. I'd like to have more arm tone, and be thinner and in better shape - but i have no desire to look like those women. I like a feminine body - which to me is soft and curvy. I guess i'm old-fashioned. All the men i have ever been with have loved my body, so there hasnt been a problem. (I'm older - so i've had quite a few relationships) I hope this answers your question. (??)

edited to add: my niece used to be in figure shows, where they tone down to show their muscles, and work out quite a bit but not to the extent of the large muscles your pics show. her diet was incredibly regimented, and not something she could stay on forever. she had VERY little body fat at the time... she had to be more or less obsessed with it at the time.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
Why are women so ANTI- gym ?
To me there is nothing so stupid on the planet as a person who pays money so that they can go into a room and lift up heavy objects (or simulate doing this with machines).

You want to find a FIT woman? Find one that isn't afraid to physically exert themselves whether in work or in play.

Check out some barrel racers, women who work as landscapers, UPS warehouse chicks, etc. these women are AWESOME and they don't need no stinking gym.

(same goes for guys, IMHO).

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-17-2011, 02:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Check out some barrel racers, women who work as landscapers, UPS warehouse chicks, etc. these women are AWESOME and they don't need no stinking gym.
whats awesome about them?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
To me there is nothing so stupid on the planet as a person who pays money so that they can go into a room and lift up heavy objects (or simulate doing this with machines).

You want to find a FIT woman? Find one that isn't afraid to physically exert themselves whether in work or in play.

(same goes for guys, IMHO).

20yrsinBranson
And there is nothing "wrong" with going to the gym. When you look at the fact that most of this country is obese, whatever gets you shape is awesome.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
You work at a desk 40+ hours you have to gym cram workout. Life stuff takes a lot longer for results usually.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Part of it is physiology. Women have to work much harder than men, in general, to get results like that. Women are designed to reproduce and be attractive to men.

If you take a generally fit man and woman, give them the same diet and exercise, at the end of 6 months, the man will have made more progress. They will both probably look great, but the man will be more muscular and defined.

For the women in the pictures, fitness is likely their job. And they work out more than 40 hours a week to look like that. Plus they are most likely genetically inclined to be more muscular.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Opsimathia wrote:
You work at a desk 40+ hours you have to gym cram workout.
Like many other people, I do indeed work a 40 hr desk job, BUT I still e-a-s-i-l-y manage to work out 20 mins a day without going to a gym after work. During my breaks I go to the company fitness room for a quick 5-10 minute mini-workout ( push-ups, pull-ups, dips, lunges, etc ). I usually do this 3 or 4 times a day. To me, this makes alot more sense than the more typical employee who spends breaktime eating donuts and/or leaning against the wall sucking on a cigarette. Contrary to what unfit people are probably telling themselves...fitness does NOT require alot of time. It's a matter of taking advantage of the opportunity to do some exercise when those opportunities arise. And we all know that each day presents numerous opportunities to do so.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
ok Lao...
The bencher or her:
Whichever one: when I take her windsurfing will windsurf with me and not sit on a lounge chair sunning all day; will go bicycling with me, will golf with me on a hot or cold day, will go on a hike with me not, "I'll be waiting here in the house."

Being fit isn't all about looking good. To me it's more about doing and being ABLE to do. As far as looks go, the woman in your pic looks fine, but to me the women in the original post look just as good.

Of course everybodys taste is different.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Go to a port ansd wait for a Russian ship.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
ok Lao...

The bencher or her:
Well, it depends on the bencher. I'll take the bencher if its this chick:

Overhead Squat - Bodyweight x 15 reps - YouTube
or this chick:

Rachel Medina Perfect round glutes - YouTube
or this one:

Farenheit Commercial - YouTube

This chick you posted is nice, but I am an butt man which almost always equates to fitness. Not a boob man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness