Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,222 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that a lot of people look even worse when they lose weight. The sagging skin, bags under the eyes, just makes them look sick. Especially for older people.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 AM

464 posts, read 832,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Sports are male dominated. Mostly men watch sports and they more frequently participate in them. Feminine hobbies are doing hair, sewing, cooking etc not tackling others, climbing trees, or rolling around in mud. If you want a feminine sport try cheerleading or figure skating though I dont really consider those true sports.
What cave do you live in? (Sorry if you are extremely mature in years as I realize prior generations are still living back in their days sometimes.)

Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I guess I did forget Michelle Obama gets flack for being fit with muscular arms.but she also proves my main point:you can be overweight AND fit.
I think she looks ok,nothing flapping in the wind(from what I can tell)

Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 AM

Default So-o-o not true...

Quote:
I have noticed that a lot of people look even worse when they lose weight. The sagging skin, bags under the eyes, just makes them look sick. Especially for older people.
...but I believe you forget that our skin is not as elastic as we age. Plenty of water keeps your insides and out hydrated. And when losing weight...do gradually to avoid that excess sagging skin and your skin will be fine generally.

Lastly, sounds like I'm hearing excuses as to why you're talking yourself out of being healthy.....hmmm????

Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Default If you are overweight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I guess I did forget Michelle Obama gets flack for being fit with muscular arms.but she also proves my main point:you can be overweight AND fit.
I think she looks ok,nothing flapping in the wind(from what I can tell)
...you are not as fit as you can be...period.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 AM

I'm 190 pounds now. I know people think that's overweight,and it is I know that. The main problem with it though is I actually like my bod this way. And I have no health issues. I just want to tone my arms and legs,that's it.

Someone above stated some people look worse when they lose weidimply ght. My body might look a little worse. As I stated before,if I get down to 160 pounds id be sporting A cups,with more ribs showing than they do now,and 44 inch hips with fat thighs. Very unproportioned.

Of course,guys complain they don't like overweight women,yet I know they don't like flat chests either. So either way I can't win.

That's what I don't understand. Overweight women have all the things men like,yet they want these things on skinny or slim women. So not realistic.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Quote:
Sports are male dominated. Mostly men watch sports and they more frequently participate in them. Feminine hobbies are doing hair, sewing, cooking etc not tackling others, climbing trees, or rolling around in mud. If you want a feminine sport try cheerleading or figure skating though I dont really consider those true sports.
give me a break, Lady Victoria-n... I can do hair, sew and cook (quite well) and that's hardly an excuse to let my health and my appearance slip by eating too much and/or excercising too little.

And since you seem to be a fan of traditional feminity, it sure isn't traditionally feminine to be fat. It's feminine to be thin so that any man can easily pick you up and so as to look fragile and like you don't even like to eat or even have such a low desire. We leave the desires of the flesh to men, don't we?

It's not feminine if others can hear your loud steps because you weigh too much, either. Men are noisy, we're not. We're quiet and graceful. Traditionally speaking.

It's not feminine if your hips, which give a naturally curvy appearance, are covered in an excess of fat and you're not even pregnant. Not a suitable environment for a baby.

But the really important thing here, leaving cliches aside, is that being fat isn't healthy for anybody. No gender difference there.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
...and keep telling themselves that fat is okay or even good. Social status in history and in some obese countries today are the ONLY places where that would be good.

It mainly comes down to health, as some posters have recognized. My husband was scolded by his doctor going into surgery because of the added real risks you choose to put yourself in when you go under the knife obesely. (I know--I've worked in the surgical suites.) He lost a whole person (like 150 lbs.) and struggles to this day since we both LOVE to eat with that nagging 20-25 that you lose and gain.

I've found myself this year at 40...yes, 40...lbs. overweight and it shows in everything I do...less energy...those loose fitting comfy clothes...just not feelin' like my pretty perky self...and know that it is only a matter of time if I don't lose that 40, that my health will begin to suffer tremendously. I've started my cardio and healthier eating. Will progress to light weights and toning exercises after I drop 15, as this is what works for me...will make me feel good, look good and be healthy.

Don't fool yourselves with those 'chubby cheeks' comments --get fit and benefit. I exercise at home as I'm not into public profuse sweating and having to wonder what bacterially contagious infection lurks on the next machine from someone.

Sculpted is absolutely handsome and beautiful (love my hubby's V-shape...you know what I mean, girls ) even on women but in my eyes, just not over-the-top body building sculpted but then again, beauty is simply in the eye of the beholder...good health is not disputable. End of story.
great post, and good work!

Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 AM

572 posts, read 1,298,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm 190 pounds now. I know people think that's overweight,and it is I know that. The main problem with it though is I actually like my bod this way. And I have no health issues. I just want to tone my arms and legs,that's it.

Someone above stated some people look worse when they lose weidimply ght. My body might look a little worse. As I stated before,if I get down to 160 pounds id be sporting A cups,with more ribs showing than they do now,and 44 inch hips with fat thighs. Very unproportioned.

Of course,guys complain they don't like overweight women,yet I know they don't like flat chests either. So either way I can't win.

That's what I don't understand. Overweight women have all the things men like,yet they want these things on skinny or slim women. So not realistic.
I was 190 at some point, I'm 64", it was not healthy on me. When I started working out, I couldn't breath, my vision would tunnel. I discovered I was hypertensive, I was pre-asthmatic from exposure to a chemical while in the military, I had sleep apnea, and I was put on an insulin medication for diabetes (my blood sugar was high).

I'm 135 currently, give or take. I could probably stand to lose another 10 pounds as I have a really small frame. I am curvy (even at a size 4), and I am a B-cup (so not over large, but given the right bra I have pretty good cleavage). I had darker circles at 190 than I do at 135 (and I'm 5 years older). I don't look like Skelator. But I would RATHER be 135 than 190.

ETA: I'm no longer hypertensive, blood sugar is normal, and my asthmatic symptoms only come when the air quality is bad or I have a cold/allergies. Also I'm extremely feminine.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 AM

I'm large framed and even at 190 pounds I can actually count my ribs and see my collarbone.I know it isn't healthy on my 5ft 6 in height but I want to look proportioned. Besides,as a pear shape(to the extreme) I'm always going to look bigger anyway. At 135 pounds(assuming I can even get that low) I would be an AAA cup. Not pretty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness