Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Me too. I will agree its half habit. But there had to be something else going on. The hunger part was the strangest. It kicked in like a monster every 20 lbs or so.

I was going to yell at you to be nice to her. hahaa!
food is delicious. people remember a time when they didnt limit their eating and they turn into an eating machine. we have these 2 sisters as friends and they are both chunksters. they sometimes wonder why they are fat. i have seen them eat, i know why. they clean off their plates, have appetizers and desserts and never say no when you offer a taste. they also have parents that put out a tremendous spread of food when the guests are only me and my wife. they are great people, but they wont be slimming down anytime soon.

i understand people here think im a jerk but my wife thinks her life is a fairy tale. im not a jerk, i just play one on the internets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think you are making a mistake getting rid of your clothes since chances are you will gain the weight back before winter is over.
Well I suppose that's just one more reason for me to keep it off.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
If your clothes are nice/trendy/gently worn, you can sell them at consignment shops, eBay, and Craigslist. I've sold many things, including jewelry and shoes (the shoes were unworn tho).

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times
I have had to give away quite a few clothes/shoes myself. I have been working on losing weight for over a year. I set out to lose around 100 pounds and am down almost forty. I had hoped to make more progress by now but I HAVE been losing for over a year without gaining back any of it. I am darn proud of myself and so is my family.

I do not like wearing clothes that do not fit. The day my clothes started getting too big for my body is the day I started packing them up for donation. IMHO poorly fitting clothes look awfull. I shop at thrift stores, yard sales giveaways ect. There is no reason to have to spend a lot of money.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Congrats to you FloridaMom1970!! I lost over a 100 pounds in a year naturally and I bought new clothes every two months. When I bought clothes, I bought clothes off the clearance rack like 80% off..I was lucky enough to have a friend going through weightloss who sent me all of her old clothes and thankfully she was more stylish than me!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:12 AM

155 posts, read 148,999 times
The payback is that it should cost a lot less to feed a thin body ... a life time of saving! So in the long term the cost of the clothes will have been a good investment.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think I've donated or thrown away about $750 worth of clothes. Ultimately it's because I'm doing good things for my body (size 38" waist to 33" so far), but it's still a bit of an annoyance.
Hey! Don’t throw those old fat clothing away! I guess I was in my late 30s when my cycle of going from 200lbs with a 32-inch waist to 260lbs with a 44-inch waist began. One thing I learned about this yoyo syndrome is to never throwaway fat clothing. I keep 32s, 34s, 36s, and 38s on hand. Despite having a 44-inch waist, 505 Levi’s in a size 38 still fit.

Men generally wear their clothing out, so it may be difficult to find your size at a thrift shop, but they have incredible deals there.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Giving them away to a charity feels good. Someone else mentioned consignment shops, and you could always try to have your favorites altered by a tailor/seamstress. Regardless, it is worth every penny.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Keeping the fat clothes in case you gain the weight back is self-defeating. It's saying, "I know I'm going to gain it back so I'm ready when it happens."

When you get rid of the big clothes, you are giving yourself one more reason to maintain the weight loss, that being, "I don't have a thing to wear!" LOL

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Keeping the fat clothes in case you gain the weight back is self-defeating. It's saying, "I know I'm going to gain it back so I'm ready when it happens."

When you get rid of the big clothes, you are giving yourself one more reason to maintain the weight loss, that being, "I don't have a thing to wear!" LOL

The reality of the matter is that most people that suffer from weight issues also suffer from “yoyo syndrome.” It’s not self-defeating. It’s just a harsh reality of the dieting world and recognizing that gaining the weight back is a real possibility to prevent financial loss. If you keep the clothing and go more than a year without gaining the weight back, then I agree that the clothing can be given away. On the other hand, if you have money to burn, go a head and toss all your clothing once they no longer fit. I personally hang onto them because it’s rather expensive to buy three pairs of jeans in several different sizes. I’m a tall man, so it’s difficult to find 34 length in waistband sizes smaller than 36. Moreover, most men wear their clothing out, so it’s difficult to find my sizes in my length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness