Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 AM

201 posts, read 648,473 times

Advertisements

I have been doing everything I can lately to attempt to shed even 5 or 10 pounds. I have tried juicing, being a vegetarian, smoothies, drinking more water and nothing seems to work. All last week I was making smoothies for for breakfast, salads for lunch and a chicken breast and vegetables for dinner and nothing seems to work. I even tried to increase my metabolism, which i know works for some people but it never has worked for me. I began eating smaller meals 4 times a day and not only was i starving, but i gained weight.

I went to the store the other day and was even tempted to buy baby food as i took a look at all of the great vitamins there. I do belong to a gym and i enjoy running, which is the only thing that takes my weight off, but i am very confused as to why eating well only worked for me when i was 18. Now that im 28 it seems that no matter what i eat, wether it's a chicken breast or 9 pieces of fried chicken that i gain the same amount of weight.

This even gets worse when i am out with my friends. I was never a big drinker, but recently swore off alcohol, but i do love to eat.

I wish i could be put on a dietary plan and i wish i knew a nutritionist. I am really wanting to get on a plan that has me eating the same thing for a few weeks to try things out. I pretty much need someone to tell me what to put in my body because i put mostly fruit and veggies in there and it doesnt seem to be working. I also drink a lot of water, so much that i use the restroom several times in the night.

I really dont know what to do. Can anyone suggest a diet that is realisitc and one that works? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times
How many calories are you eating a day? what do you weigh now, how tall are you, what is your ideal weight? Are you exercising?

It's possible you are actually not eating enough calories....

Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 AM

201 posts, read 648,473 times
i dont count calories so its hard for me to tell how many i consume daily. i would say in the monring i usually have a vegetable drink (i juice or blend drinks every morning for brekfast). for lunch i usually have a salad, when i head home i have been eating apsta for dinner lately with chicken.

i weighed myself this morning and am at 187. i am 5'10 and i feel very heavy. yes i do exercise, but unless i run 100% of the workout i dont seem to drop weight.

i have tried consuming more calories, like eating more often and all of that. eating more has only meant that i weigh more

Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,003 times
Just my own opinion, but you are not eating enough... I would suggest weight watchers. There are specific plans for men.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
I really dont know what to do. Can anyone suggest a diet that is realisitc and one that works? Thanks.
Well you've come to the right place for help. Just beware that there are a few here who through good intentions, will give you some stupid advice that will not work for you.

First, stop drinking those ridiculous shakes/smoothies. They are NOT good for what you need to do. If you want fruit, EAT fruit (i.e., ONE serving of fruit) not several servings all lumped into a blender. Bad idea. Dont do it.

Secondly, get yourself and good book on PROPER NUTRITION or even better SPORTS NUTRITION. Since you'll be working out, you want to make sure you are FUELING your body with what it needs to perform.

Thirdly, here is Lao's "get fit quick" cutting diet. Try this IN ADDITION TO BOTH CARDIO AND RESISTANCE TRAINING.

Breakfast
1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal (NOT PACKET SUGARY CRAP) w/ few crasins
OR
Bowl of Rasin Bran
OR
One boiled egg and half grapefruit

Snack - Almond butter and low sugar jam on 2 slices of whole grain bread
OR
1/2 cup cottage cheese with almond slivers

Lunch
3oz can of chunk light tuna mixed with tbsp mayo, 8oz kidney beans, 6oz corn, spoon of spicy beet horsradish and two slices whole grain bread
OR
Grilled chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli OR spinich

Snack - plain air popped popcorn (no butter, no salt, not the microwave kind) sprinkled with olive oil and parmesean cheese
OR
Other half of grapefruit from breakfast
OR
Kellogs Special K bar or blueberry breakfast bar

Dinner
See lunch menu above.

Late snack - if weight loss is the goal do not have a late night snack. Only option would be a banana or whey protein shake POST WEIGHT WORKOUT.

This is a 1300-1500 calorie diet that you can do for 2 weeks to get started. Drink only water and nothing else unless its 4oz or cabernet with your dinner. Remember this is not an "Oooooooooh exciting" gluttonous diet that lifelong fat people look forward to. Its a "jump start" for you to get to the physical shape/health you want to be in.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM

86 posts, read 155,474 times
I agree with the other poster that mentioned Weight Watchers. In the past few months, I have lost almost 30lbs. and I have gained a new-found respect for eating healthier. I used to think that it was silly when I would hear people say that Weight Watchers is lifestyle change and not a diet, but now I completely agree with this statement.

Good luck with your loss....I, too, have another 10lbs. to lose.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
i dont count calories so its hard for me to tell how many i consume daily. i would say in the monring i usually have a vegetable drink (i juice or blend drinks every morning for brekfast). for lunch i usually have a salad, when i head home i have been eating apsta for dinner lately with chicken.

i weighed myself this morning and am at 187. i am 5'10 and i feel very heavy. yes i do exercise, but unless i run 100% of the workout i dont seem to drop weight.

i have tried consuming more calories, like eating more often and all of that. eating more has only meant that i weigh more

You need to start tracking everything you eat and writing the calories down. You have to find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and to lose weight. Start there. There is a good chance that your portions are too big and you are consuming more than you should. Pasta is very high in calories of you don't use portion control.

Here is a site to figure out the amount of calories you should be consuming.
How many calories should I eat a day to lose weight naturally

Stay 500 calories below what you need each day and you will lose one pound per week...more if you exercise.

Good luck.

Weight Watchers is a good program for you to learn about portion control and eating healthy foods.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
if i wanted to lose 10 pounds, here is what i would do.

i would eat 3-4 meals a day of 1 cup of rolled oats. thats it. i could also add as many veggies as id like as long as i dont add anything with calories to them. easy. id also be taking a kirkland multivitamin and whatever other vitamins i may like to make up for some potential things i may be missing from not having variation in my diet.

this isnt how i eat, its what i would do temporarily if i wanted to shed some pounds. i wouldnt do weight watchers because im not a woman.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
In echoing part of Captains post above, OP, it IS a good idea for you to take a multi vitamin. Kirkland or GNC Mega Men Sport is what I take when cutting fat.

I would pass on the Weight Watchers though. For times when you are in a bit of a bind for time, keep a couple of Healthy Choice dinners in the freezer. Limit yourself to no more than 3 per week though zero is optimal because of the sodium content.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM

86 posts, read 155,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
In echoing part of Captains post above, OP, it IS a good idea for you to take a multi vitamin. Kirkland or GNC Mega Men Sport is what I take when cutting fat.

I would pass on the Weight Watchers though. For times when you are in a bit of a bind for time, keep a couple of Healthy Choice dinners in the freezer. Limit yourself to no more than 3 per week though zero is optimal because of the sodium content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if i wanted to lose 10 pounds, here is what i would do.

i would eat 3-4 meals a day of 1 cup of rolled oats. thats it. i could also add as many veggies as id like as long as i dont add anything with calories to them. easy. id also be taking a kirkland multivitamin and whatever other vitamins i may like to make up for some potential things i may be missing from not having variation in my diet.

this isnt how i eat, its what i would do temporarily if i wanted to shed some pounds. i wouldnt do weight watchers because im not a woman.
Weight Watchers is for both men and women and my hubby has had GREAT success with it! It is a program to help a person's thought process on a healthier eating style....as opposed to eating a frozen Healthy Choice meal (huge no-no if you are truly wanting to become healthier). Also, there are no easy fixes when it comes to staying fit. You might eat (a high sodium, unhealthy) frozen meal and lose, but does this benefit you in the end??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness