U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,209,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Eh well we have Sports Authority and a Nike Factory outlet store...
You'll have to make the drive to find a place that has them and see them in person. VFF should NEVER be ordered online. They all feel a bit different. I know Nike Factory isnt going to have them. Sports Authority if youre lucky, may have just ONE type - most likely the KSOs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:48 PM

5,386 posts, read 5,729,122 times
Go to a place that specializes in running shoes. Bring your current running shoes. They will look at your current shoes and should also look at your feet and observe/analyze how you walk and especially run in them. And if they don't work out, a good store will take them back within a reasonable amount of time. Yes it's more expensive than Sports Authority, but the money saved buying at the big box store with unqualified or minimally qualified help will quickly disappear if you injure yourself and need to see a doctor or get therapy. Kind of the penny wise dollar foolish mantra.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM

3,522 posts, read 5,594,223 times
Im going to Mountain Sports in downtown SLO when I have a chance because they carry vibrams.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 PM

I bought black vibram shoes. The people in the store said the KSOs only come in black, but I think that is a lie, but it could be the truth? Do most stores only carry black.....should I go back and get another color? Or do you think black is a good color?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 AM

56 posts, read 12,547 times
They do come in other colors. I have them in the grey/gree camo. Once you know your size, you could always order online if you want other colors. If you decide to go with another model, I would recommend trying it on in person first. My sprints are a size off of the other pairs I have(bikila,kso,komodosport).
The black are a good starting color. Very low key. My VFFs get lots of comments, and I've noticed the brighter the color combos, the more it gets noticed. Particularly if you have a conservative work environment, blacks are great.
How are they feeling so far?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhairgirl View Post
They do come in other colors. I have them in the grey/gree camo. Once you know your size, you could always order online if you want other colors. If you decide to go with another model, I would recommend trying it on in person first. My sprints are a size off of the other pairs I have(bikila,kso,komodosport).
The black are a good starting color. Very low key. My VFFs get lots of comments, and I've noticed the brighter the color combos, the more it gets noticed. Particularly if you have a conservative work environment, blacks are great.
How are they feeling so far?
They feel great! I read that retail stores tend to only carry limit selection of colors. For instance at REI they only have two colors, so its possible the lady at my store ment they only had black. So Vibram might sell the other colors online to get people to buy from them.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,545,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yes, you're right--never tried them. I'm not really anit-VFF like some are. I do run barefoot a little on the treadmill just to try to strengthen feet & calves. I suppose the price to material ratio bugs me--I'm very cheap.

How do you explain the fact that no elites use them? Don't you worry about knee issues and/or stress fractures from running on pavement?
I haven't done studies on what type of footwear elite runners use.

However, I have had no stress fractures, shin splints or knee issues but that is just me.

All I know is that running barefoot or in Five Fingers feels great to me. I even find myself smiling when I run...even while doing intervals

Running in cushioned shoes totally disengaged me from the reality going on around me.

When I run barefoot I am totally engaged to the surface I am running on, what surface is coming next, how my foot is hitting the ground, what it sounds like, what it feels like....etc.

Anything I can do to engage myself in the activity is a good thing. Running shoes to me are like a big cushy luxury car...your driving just to drive and nothing else.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 AM

2,864 posts, read 3,058,724 times
Before buying running shoes, you need to find out if you are an over-pronator, an under-pronator or somewhere in between. You can Google this to find out how to determine it, it's a simple process. This will make a HUGE difference in your shoes.

Replacing worn shoes is almost imperative to avoid injuries, especially if you're running more than 40 miles a week.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM

2,864 posts, read 3,058,724 times

Quick graphic for you to determine what kind of shoes you need to buy. Roadrunner sports have a website which labels each pair of running shoes in this manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness