Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

I got $100. I am thinking of getting the vibram five finger shoes. Should I get regular shoes or the vibram? I have a pair of running shoes from like 3 yrs ago and I think its time for new ones. And sometimes I use my running shoes to go on light 3 mile hikes up a hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM

160 posts, read 335,262 times
The Vibram Five Fingers sounds like a good running shoe in theory, but I'm alittle apprehensive about how they feel while running. I wouldn't mind having a pair just for daily walking around though. I also need a new pair and was thinking of the Nike Tracker. Right now I wear Addidas and I love them.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Are you a heel striker or a mid-foot/forefoot striker?

If you are a heel striker you will need to ease into using the VFFs as the increased load on your calves and achilles tendons.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Just my opinion, but if it were me I'd steer clear of the vibrams. For one thing, you will never be fast in them. Watch any big marathon--you'll never see an elite runner wearing Vibrams. Maybe I should never say never--an Ethiopian run the Olympic marathon in (IIRC) 1960 running barefoot.

The are so minimal and thin a) they don't offer protection against sharp rocks if you run on trails; b) I don't see how they could be very durable c) as the 'hooligan' said, they will take much getting used to due to the different gait you will have to adopt (unless you already run barefoot; d) I've seen suggestions that they are linked to injuries; e) you need special socks f) despite there being almost nothing to them, they are not cheap.

I run in Mizuno Wave Precisions and Mizuno Ronins for races. I love them both. If you really want to find out what shoe is best for you, go to a specialty running store like Fleet Feet or Road Runner sports. They'll talk to you, put you on a treadmill to watch your stride, and recommend a few options best suited for you. I don't know if runningwarehouse in S Luis Obispo (sp?) has a retail store but they are a well-respected outfit run by a runner's runner, Joe Rubio.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I got $100. I am thinking of getting the vibram five finger shoes. Should I get regular shoes or the vibram? I have a pair of running shoes from like 3 yrs ago and I think its time for new ones. And sometimes I use my running shoes to go on light 3 mile hikes up a hill.
You have to TRY the Vibrams before you get them. Go into a store like "A Snails Pace" or "Road Runner" where you can try on all the different Vibrams and run around in them in the store before you make the move on buying them. I would NEVER recommend buying them sight unseen (i.e., online). Lot of people I know LOVE them for running, some (like me) prefer to use their Nikes because of the Nike+ sensor for iPod/iPhone.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Just my opinion, but if it were me I'd steer clear of the vibrams. For one thing, you will never be fast in them. Watch any big marathon--you'll never see an elite runner wearing Vibrams. Maybe I should never say never--an Ethiopian run the Olympic marathon in (IIRC) 1960 running barefoot.

The are so minimal and thin a) they don't offer protection against sharp rocks if you run on trails; b) I don't see how they could be very durable c) as the 'hooligan' said, they will take much getting used to due to the different gait you will have to adopt (unless you already run barefoot; d) I've seen suggestions that they are linked to injuries; e) you need special socks f) despite there being almost nothing to them, they are not cheap.
Wutitiz, I am getting the impression you have not used Five Fingers before?

Five Fingers are a go between ....between being barefoot and being minimalist. I enjoy running barefoot more than I enjoy being in Five Fingers. However, they are a good comprise and much much better than any traditional running shoes. I can't speak about minimalist full shoes.

If you get them you need to go slow. And I mean slow. I walked in my KSOs for over two months before I broke a stride. And when I did start running it was a mile or less for a while. I knew about the injuries you could get from over doing it and wanted to avoid it. Which I did.

I have used them for walking , hiking , running, and backpacking. Although , for backpacking I need a little more cushion. My Treksports 4.5 MM sole isnt enough for a rock trail. But when the trail is not very rocky it feels simply amazing.

When running I actually like running on pavement. It really provides the feedback on how I am striking the ground. When I run on soft surfaces it is really hard to tell. Concrete does not lie.

I don't understand the statement you will never be fast in them? They weight so so much less than any running shoe. You are shedding weight and the best possible place. Once you learn to run in them you WILL be a little faster.

I don't need special socks. If you can't find a local store that sells them find a good online retailer that has a good return policy and order a bunch of pairs around your predicted size.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Eh well we have Sports Authority and a Nike Factory outlet store...

Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM

57 posts, read 31,037 times
I love my vibrams! I go hiking in my komodosports and they hold up quite well. As for running, I alternate between my sprints and bikilas. They're all great!

You are going to have to invest some time in them if you buy them. It takes awhile for the muscles in your feet to build up. I walked for weeks before I ran, and then started with just a block and kept working my way up. You also have to change your gait completely. Even your cadence will change. An unexpected side effect for me is that I am only comfortable now in zero lift, minimally cushioned shoes.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Lot of people I know LOVE them for running, some (like me) prefer to use their Nikes because of the Nike+ sensor for iPod/iPhone.
With the latest version of the Nike+ software you don't need the shoe sensor any longer.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:18 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Wutitiz, I am getting the impression you have not used Five Fingers before?

Five Fingers are a go between ....between being barefoot and being minimalist. I enjoy running barefoot more than I enjoy being in Five Fingers. However, they are a good comprise and much much better than any traditional running shoes. I can't speak about minimalist full shoes.

If you get them you need to go slow. And I mean slow. I walked in my KSOs for over two months before I broke a stride. And when I did start running it was a mile or less for a while. I knew about the injuries you could get from over doing it and wanted to avoid it. Which I did.

I have used them for walking , hiking , running, and backpacking. Although , for backpacking I need a little more cushion. My Treksports 4.5 MM sole isnt enough for a rock trail. But when the trail is not very rocky it feels simply amazing.

When running I actually like running on pavement. It really provides the feedback on how I am striking the ground. When I run on soft surfaces it is really hard to tell. Concrete does not lie.

I don't understand the statement you will never be fast in them? They weight so so much less than any running shoe. You are shedding weight and the best possible place. Once you learn to run in them you WILL be a little faster.

I don't need special socks. If you can't find a local store that sells them find a good online retailer that has a good return policy and order a bunch of pairs around your predicted size.
Yes, you're right--never tried them. I'm not really anit-VFF like some are. I do run barefoot a little on the treadmill just to try to strengthen feet & calves. I suppose the price to material ratio bugs me--I'm very cheap.

How do you explain the fact that no elites use them? Don't you worry about knee issues and/or stress fractures from running on pavement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness