Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

I "get" what people are saying about her shoulders. They look sculpted. I think it works with the rest of her physique, mostly. Other than her midsection, she appears a bit - willowy. And her midsection is pretty. Not six-pack - which I find rather hideous on men and women..but smooth, with -some- definition and a very slight, but very feminine curve to her belly.

Personally I think her legs are too thin and so are her arms. She looks a bit like a teenager instead of a 20-something year old woman. But it could just be her outfit and the pose in the photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 12:50 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
To me, she looks pretty and sexy in both the before and after photos.

I do respect her for all the work and training she goes thru now, to get the "hard-body" look, and to be fit and strong.

If she feels better, that's what counts.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Lifting light weights is pointless.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
That's a ridiculous generalization and sounds elitist. It's the same as saying, "Running slowly is pointless."

For a 70 year old of either gender, starting out with light weights is the only option. What if someone has been injured and is unfit? They're supposed to start out bench pressing 400 pounds? They have to necessarily begin with lighter weights than some steroid monster who has been lifting for 20 years.

Lifting light weight is sure better than lifting none at all, especially for neophytes, unless they want to get injured right out of the blocks.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:09 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Lifting light weights is pointless.
Not really. There are a lot of toning exercises that are done with lighter weights. You also need to start with lighter weights. Its very easy to injure yourself lifting weights that are too heavy. It really depends what you want to do and what your goals are. Blanket statements like yours are very counterproductive.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:36 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not really. There are a lot of toning exercises that are done with lighter weights.
There is really no such thing as "toning". Tone comes either from increased muscle mass, decreased fat, or both. Lifting light weights will accomplish neither.

Quote:
You also need to start with lighter weights. Its very easy to injure yourself lifting weights that are too heavy.
Of course, one should not ever begin lifting heavier weights than they can handle, but starting off with "light" weight is nothing short of pointless. Avoiding injury is much more about proper form, exercise progression and warm ups.

Quote:
It really depends what you want to do and what your goals are.
There are really no goals that lifting "light" weights will obtain. Of course "light weights" is a highly subjective term, but any just workout should have you at about 75% intensity MINIMUM.

Quote:
Blanket statements like yours are very counterproductive.
Not when they are based in fact.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
This is interesting, but I think, as someone said above, that if she hadn't lost the weight/fat prior to starting lifting, she would not look nearly as good. The thing I'm thinking about women 'bulking up' is not in the body-builder sense, but more in the sense of the muscle getting bigger while still hidden under a layer of fat, any muscle definition will not show, and hence you'll look like you're just getting bigger instead of more toned. Isn't that the whole 'you can't spot train' philosophy? Or, think about women athletes who are really strong yet can still look 'big', bulky and unfeminine - I'm thinking some gym teachers, wrestlers, hammer throwers...
I myself am struggling with this in my own body, since as an extreme pear shape I can see the difference where it's like I'm two bodies in one. I'm fairly thin, at 18 bmi and 18% body fat, yet you'll never be able to tell that if you look at my lower body. On top, it's almost too thin, ribs showing, but it takes just a bit of lifting and it's fairly easy to see definition and have toned-looking arms - cause there's practically no fat. On my legs and butt though, it seems no matter what I do they end up looking the same - the only way to make them smaller is lose more weight which would not be healthy, but otherwise they're covered with fat that just won't go away - and any weight lifting only makes them feel stronger under the fat, but they don't look any more toned, and my butt looks fat and flabby regardless of what I do. When you're already thin all over, getting the toned look with some lifting is easy.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Looks like she's pretty much eating a variation of Atkins - mostly meat and vegetables. A bit boring though. I'd mix it up with some eggs, cheese, and nuts.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
This is interesting, but I think, as someone said above, that if she hadn't lost the weight/fat prior to starting lifting, she would not look nearly as good. The thing I'm thinking about women 'bulking up' is not in the body-builder sense, but more in the sense of the muscle getting bigger while still hidden under a layer of fat, any muscle definition will not show, and hence you'll look like you're just getting bigger instead of more toned. Isn't that the whole 'you can't spot train' philosophy? Or, think about women athletes who are really strong yet can still look 'big', bulky and unfeminine - I'm thinking some gym teachers, wrestlers, hammer throwers...
I myself am struggling with this in my own body, since as an extreme pear shape I can see the difference where it's like I'm two bodies in one. I'm fairly thin, at 18 bmi and 18% body fat, yet you'll never be able to tell that if you look at my lower body. On top, it's almost too thin, ribs showing, but it takes just a bit of lifting and it's fairly easy to see definition and have toned-looking arms - cause there's practically no fat. On my legs and butt though, it seems no matter what I do they end up looking the same - the only way to make them smaller is lose more weight which would not be healthy, but otherwise they're covered with fat that just won't go away - and any weight lifting only makes them feel stronger under the fat, but they don't look any more toned, and my butt looks fat and flabby regardless of what I do. When you're already thin all over, getting the toned look with some lifting is easy.
I am an hourglass/pear but working my upper body keeps me an hourglass (along with dietary control). Try bulking up your upper half just a bit with whatever it takes for you. Also try putting on more lower body muscle just a bit with whatever it takes your body. Its going to probably take you 6 months to a year of consistent effort. but just a little bit more muscle (5-10lbs) will make a huge difference in your overall body and metabolism to keep away that flabby thing. How did you measure your body fat?

Old 11-20-2011, 06:07 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There is really no such thing as "toning". Tone comes either from increased muscle mass, decreased fat, or both. Lifting light weights will accomplish neither.

Of course, one should not ever begin lifting heavier weights than they can handle, but starting off with "light" weight is nothing short of pointless. Avoiding injury is much more about proper form, exercise progression and warm ups.

There are really no goals that lifting "light" weights will obtain. Of course "light weights" is a highly subjective term, but any just workout should have you at about 75% intensity MINIMUM.

Not when they are based in fact.
You will looked toned with working out and diet control. Light weights are what you SHOULD start off with when you are weak to avoid joint damage when you need to start from scratch. Especially females who tend to be naturally weaker and have a lower lean mass. Isometrics, light weights and resistance training are ideal to get started. Depending on your goals and body type would direct your next step.

But really..if someone can not do one push up/pull up or even lift 5 lb weights...trying the 20lb next would just be asking to damage your tendons.

Are You Lifting Enough Weight? - How Much Should You Lift?

Its 60% minimum.

But that is a guide to help pick your starting weight ability.

In my body, when I am lean lifting my max heavy is pointless. I can do heavier than my current workout, but I didn't like the look I was starting to get. (too veiny/bulgy/cut) I have a naturally muscular body type.(type2)

Neat self test to see what type of muscles you have and to see what you training should be:
Muscle and Muscle Fibers | Muscle & Strength
(bottom of article)

Muscle Tone Vs. Bulking Up - Cleveland Personal Training

Another article that touches on the types of training and reps for your goals.
It also covers the rest periods between workouts as that is important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness