Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

It says it all here - complete with pictures.

the power of aggressive weight training and a clean diet | CrossFit Relentless (http://crossfitrelentless.com/2011/09/the-power-of-aggressive-weight-training-and-a-clean-diet/ - broken link)

You're NOT going to "accidentally" get huge and "bulky". It's simply not going to happen.

Feel free to ignore the bit about eating mostly Paleo, if you're not into that diet. However, please DO pay attention to how much she eats. Evidence that what you eat is absolutely as important as how much you eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Great story--thanks for sharing. Inspiring even to an old lady like me.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Great, great, great, great, great, great article.

MODS - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this a sticky at the top of this forum. This is info that ALL women who are interested in exercise/fitness and getting healthy should know. I think its fantastic!!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
I'm impressed with this woman! She found the fountain of youth that comes from heavy lifting and a healthy diet.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Hooligan, you made my day by posting this! (I repped you for it.) I've suspected that this is the case and have been working on weaning myself from daily jumping on the scale and obsessing over calories. I have gotten much more toned from daily varied gym workouts, but get upset when the scale shows that I weigh at least ten pounds more than I did in college---which is ridiculous, because I never had muscles in college (back in the early seventies, people didn't work out as much) and look and feel much more toned at 57 than I did at 27. But I've been thinking tat maybe I was kidding myself about this---but looking at the photos, our heroine looks so much more toned in the photo where she is 11 pounds heavier!

I don't follow the Paleo diet in that I am a vegetarian, but adhere to its other principles. And I've suspected that counting and drastically restricting calories is futile and possibly self-defeating. When you see all that you are supposed to eat a day to get adequate nutrition, it seems counterproductive to be on a very restrictive diet.

So many women at the gym are unwilling to work with weights because of "not wanting to bulk up." I've noticed that the women who just do something like Zumba have lost weight, but don't seem toned, especially in their arms (getting batwings). More people need to see and follow this article.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Struggling with 5lb wts?

I don't know if I could eat 3000-4000 cals. She does look a little bulky to me in the shoulder area.
I don't think men "get" what is bulky to some. Everyone has an opinion on it.

I personally prefer:

I would not try to exercise to the staci level of bulk. She still has that lifter/gymgirl look although on the lighter side of it.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
5 am workouts? That is a bit hardcore..

I think she looked better when she was "fat" now she looks like a ruler. And I agree she does look a bit bulky.

Also as expected she eats way more food than I do...how convenient.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
...Also as expected she eats way more food than I do...how convenient.
Yes she eats more than you do. Do you workout like she does? Nope. Excercise and lifting weights burn calories, TJ. If you expend more calories during a day, you can eat more and *still* lose weight. Shocking!

Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Some bulk on the shoulder of this woman makes her look sexy to me, and I'm a straight guy who likes women. Women with toned arms showing some muscle definition (not the powerbuilder types, though) are very attractive. They look smarter than someone with flabby arms.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Some bulk on the shoulder of this woman makes her look sexy to me, and I'm a straight guy who likes women. Women with toned arms showing some muscle definition (not the powerbuilder types, though) are very attractive. They look smarter than someone with flabby arms.
Flabby arms are blah. Agree on that part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness