Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just be active and interested in things - and above all guard your teeth or what is left of them - Like an old horse that is long in the tooth - once dental health is lost - that is the sign that you are on your way out...all this stuff about working out is useless - IF as I mentioned your are excieted about life you will naturally move about and be in good shape...To artifically exercise is kind of weird in my book - If you want to get in shape..do something useful like some constructive labour..why waste your body and energy in some gym riding a bike going no where?
All this stuff about working out is useless? That is utter nonsense!

You obviously have never done any serious exercise (cardio & lift weights) over any length of time, otherwise, you would know that exercise improves your physical appearance and overall health in incredible ways.

It doesn't matter if you are over 40 or over 50.

Doing intense exercise on a regular basis can make your body look and feel 10 - 20 years younger.

I personally do 30 minutes of cardio on an elliptical machine at the gym around 4 days a week. I get my heart rate up to 120 - 135 during the entire 30 minutes. As a result of doing cardio for the past year, I can now climb up steep hills and not get out of breath. My body has never felt healthier or stronger in my entire life.

Immediately after cardio, I work out with heavy weights for around 1 hour, and my body is now in great physical shape.

I regularly get compliments from people who notice my athletic build. Just today, I received two compliments from men, one who said he wanted to start working out to get in shape like me, and another who said I looked like I must ride my bike a lot, because he noticed how physically fit I was.

If you want to see my pictures ... here is one I took a few months ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...10720-0077.jpg

Exercise and healthy eating helped me to lose over 30lbs earlier this year, and reduced my waist size from 34 to 29. Weight lifting helped me to build a muscular physique.

A close up of my legs shows the muscular definition I got from working on leg press machines:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0720-0070.html

This is also a result of maintaining a healthy low fat diet, and getting my body fat percentage down to approximately 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
I would like to know if achieving a (near) perfect body is possible after the age of 40. I am 42, female, and 55 pounds overwieight. I have not exercised in about 8 years but prior to that I ran regularly but was still about 10 pounds over my ideal weight. Almost all of my weight is in the abdominal area. The only thing that really matters to me right now is getting in good shape, but is it possible to achieve a flat stomach and great figure at this age?
Yes you can, it just takes a lot of determination and taking small steps so you do not get discouraged. I will be 52 this January, male and just under 5' 8", three years ago I topped out at 275 pounds and really thought that as 50 was approaching, that I was doomed to reach 300 pounds before I turned the big 50. I started exercising and limiting my intake of food and soft drinks. The soft drinks were the first to go and dessert every night. Last January I was still above 240, so I added aerobics and weight training, then biking and bought myself a pair of running shoes and started running 7 months ago. I can now run a mile without stopping and usually run up to 3. My weight reached a low of 188 a few weeks ago and I entered my first fun, just 5 3/4 miles, this coming February as my next challenge. I am in the best shape I have ever been in my life, my stomach is almost flat and my love handles are slowly disappearing. My goal was to lose 100 pounds, I am almost there and want to take maybe 15 more off by spring. You have to find what your body is sensitive to, mine is fine with protein and with some carbohydrates, but does not tolerate salt or fat. I eat lots of vegetables and drink a lot of juices.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
All this stuff about working out is useless? That is utter nonsense!

You obviously have never done any serious exercise (cardio & lift weights) over any length of time, otherwise, you would know that exercise improves your physical appearance and overall health in incredible ways.

It doesn't matter if you are over 40 or over 50.

Doing intense exercise on a regular basis can make your body look and feel 10 - 20 years younger.

I personally do 30 minutes of cardio on an elliptical machine at the gym around 4 days a week. I get my heart rate up to 120 - 135 during the entire 30 minutes. As a result of doing cardio for the past year, I can now climb up steep hills and not get out of breath. My body has never felt healthier or stronger in my entire life.

Immediately after cardio, I work out with heavy weights for around 1 hour, and my body is now in great physical shape.

I regularly get compliments from people who notice my athletic build. Just today, I received two compliments from men, one who said he wanted to start working out to get in shape like me, and another who said I looked like I must ride my bike a lot, because he noticed how physically fit I was.

If you want to see my pictures ... here is one I took a few months ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...10720-0077.jpg

Exercise and healthy eating helped me to lose over 30lbs earlier this year, and reduced my waist size from 34 to 29. Weight lifting helped me to build a muscular physique.

A close up of my legs shows the muscular definition I got from working on leg press machines:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0720-0070.html

This is also a result of maintaining a healthy low fat diet, and getting my body fat percentage down to approximately 10%.
I cannot help but second you. Getting your muscles to burn off the fat is the most productive means to taking off the weight and toning up your body. I have had more compliments this past fall then I have ever had since my twenties. One of my clients called me skinny the other day, before they used to tell me I needed to lay off the second helpings. The waistline is the hardest part to reduce. Mine approached 48 at my largest and now I wear a loose 36, I would like to get to a 32 and can just get into a 34. My legs on the other hand just keep getting bigger, they were at 27 when I was 300, then dropped to 24 and are back up to 26 for my thighs from the running and weights. For the first time in years though, my chest is bigger than my waist at 44". I really like doing bench presses the most.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
There are lots of people in their 40's in better shape than all but a tiny number of 25 year olds. Check this guy, 48-yr-old Dennis Simonaitis (I think he's from Utah)
Dennis Simonaitis Going Strong at 48 | Running Times Magazine

He runs in a race that I run almost every year, Bloomsday in Spokane WA. It is a 12K (7.46 miles) and last year Dennis ran it in 38:38, a pace of 5 min 10 sec per mile.
Results for Bloomsday 2011 (http://www.bloomsdayrun.org/results/ResultDetail.asp?Bib=151&YEAR=2011 - broken link)
Typically the winning time is around 34:xx, usually either a Kenyan or Ethiopian 20-something. Even crazier he did not even win his age group (45-49). That was Mbarack Hussein of New Mexico, who ran a full minute faster than Dennis, 37:38.

So it is still in you, even after 40, it is just a matter of bringing it out. BTW I'm in my 50's and still running marathons.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:00 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
BTW I'm in my 50's and still running marathons.
It seems endurance doesn't drop off all that much with age. I'm in my 50s too and just started mountain bike trail riding a couple of months ago again after a 20 year hiatus and am able to ride and far and fast now as I did then. I don't know if you can ever be in "perfect shape" but you can still get in the best shape of your life.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 12-11-2011 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It seems endurance doesn't drop off all that much with age. I'm in my 50s too and just started mountain bike trail riding a couple of months ago again after a 20 year hiatus and am able to ride and far and fast now as I did then. I don't know if you can ever be in "perfect shape" but you can still get in the best shape of your life.
I am fifty and in the best shape in my life. I am training for a triathlon right now. I would not even have considered it in my 20's.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am fifty and in the best shape in my life. I am training for a triathlon right now. I would not even have considered it in my 20's.
That's awesome. I'm not yet at that level but am working up to it. Ironic that the part of a triathlon I'd most need to work on would be swimming. I used to be a competitive swimmer and water polo player but haven't done any distance swimming in decades. The muscles used are quite different from running and cycling.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
It appears that us last four posters are all near the same age and are in the best shape of our lives. I think we are proof that 50 is not the new 40, it is the new 30. I remember my grandmother when she hit 50, she decided to just become old and stop doing anything physically challenging. I have been a physical labor guy for most of my life, my bones are very solid and when ever I have tried to swim, I sink rapidly. I even had a chiropractor, after a full body X-ray, ask me if I was a sinker. I asked him how he knew and he said my bones were very dense and thick from all the hard work I do. Being a triathlete is not in my future, unless they would let me wear a life jacket.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
I would like to know if achieving a (near) perfect body is possible after the age of 40. I am 42, female, and 55 pounds overwieight. I have not exercised in about 8 years but prior to that I ran regularly but was still about 10 pounds over my ideal weight. Almost all of my weight is in the abdominal area. The only thing that really matters to me right now is getting in good shape, but is it possible to achieve a flat stomach and great figure at this age?
Very simple. You can't do spot reduction (sit-ups) however.

You need to get your overall bodyfat percentage down.

Easiest way is a calorie restircted diet (say 1000 kcals/day) while also making the bulk of your intake protein, about 1.5 grams per kilo so about 70-90 grams a day (beef jerky works great for this). Increase your weight training as well as 30-60 mins of cardio daily. The weight will drop off.

Finally, for that ultra flat stomach, try a colon-cleansing (easy to look up) or drink nothing but clears/gatorade for 4 days to get rid of all the built up stool.

It's fairly simple. It ain't alot of fun. But attack the weight from 3 different angles and you'll soon seen the outline of your rectus abdominis, after that, all you need to do is look in the mirror for added motivation.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It appears that us last four posters are all near the same age and are in the best shape of our lives. I think we are proof that 50 is not the new 40, it is the new 30. I remember my grandmother when she hit 50, she decided to just become old and stop doing anything physically challenging. I have been a physical labor guy for most of my life, my bones are very solid and when ever I have tried to swim, I sink rapidly. I even had a chiropractor, after a full body X-ray, ask me if I was a sinker. I asked him how he knew and he said my bones were very dense and thick from all the hard work I do. Being a triathlete is not in my future, unless they would let me wear a life jacket.
My husband is the exact same way. We sinks like a stone in water. Its too bad too because he has problems with his knees he cannot run and he doesn't really like to cycle, but he will because he does not have a lot of other options. He manages to stay in great shape though despite his limitations.
My family was the same as yours, once they hit a certain age it was time to be old. My husband and I say we are going to go down swinging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness