Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:58 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I don’t know your age, or fitness level, but my understanding is that anyone can follow at their own pace and still enjoy it while gaining competence.

My DIL is 31, and very physically fit. She just tried a 12 session yoga package and she really loves it, but even she could not really do much in the beginning. At the studio she goes to, they end with a cool cloth for the eyes, and a shoulder massage. She loves that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I did yoga in my younger days and will go back to it sometime. The exercises make you a lot more flexible. One thing to remember is that in yoga you are not competing with anyone. You go at your own pace and you do what you can do. Even that thought is relaxing.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:34 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I love yoga. In my late 60s, being flexible is important to me. Yoga also keeps me toned. There are other benefits as well.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:24 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
The nearest yoga studio to me offers "Yoga 101" classes, which sounds very attractive, or it did until they told me that the next session is full and they're not doing another one until six months from now. The person I talked to suggested I just start attending one of their all-levels classes...but I'm male, in my late 60s, very inflexible with some upper body pain issues, and even without the issues, I simply don't want to feel like...well, the worst person there, for lack of a better phrase. At least in a class full of other beginners, I'd be ok being that person. I'm far more inclined to just try videos at home, even though I know my form and posture will probably be wrong and I'll likely acquire some bad habits.

Embarrassment is a powerful demotivator.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The nearest yoga studio to me offers "Yoga 101" classes, which sounds very attractive, or it did until they told me that the next session is full and they're not doing another one until six months from now. The person I talked to suggested I just start attending one of their all-levels classes...but I'm male, in my late 60s, very inflexible with some upper body pain issues, and even without the issues, I simply don't want to feel like...well, the worst person there, for lack of a better phrase. At least in a class full of other beginners, I'd be ok being that person. I'm far more inclined to just try videos at home, even though I know my form and posture will probably be wrong and I'll likely acquire some bad habits.

My original yoga teacher, back in days of olde, made tapes. (actually, she made records and I turned them into tapes.) You can do yoga by listening to someone giving you the instructions. It's best to have a teacher so you don't develop the bad habits, but some of it is so simple--just lying on the floor on your back and pressing the small of your back down. Hold it that way. Bring your knees up if you can, and hang on to them with your arms. My yoga teacher always said that was the best position for a tired back.

Lying there, put your legs back down and raise your arms over your head on the floor, flat. Stretch one arm, stretch the other arm, slowly even to the tips of your fingers. Alternate arms. Lying flat on your back, turn your head slowly to the left, then slowly to the right. Then flex your ankles one at a time. Slowly. Try to lift one leg up and down, slowly, keeping it straight. Then the other. Always slowly, always only doing what you can. You are not in a competition.

It's all stuff like that to start out. Stretching as much as you can. At first you can hardly do anything but it's just amazing how you get better and better at it. Try it.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:49 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
I'm far more inclined to just try videos at home, even though I know my form and posture will probably be wrong and I'll likely acquire some bad habits.

Yoga instructors are usually very good at making you feel welcome, without any embarrassment for being a beginner.

If you learn yoga at home without an instructor, it's true you won't be able to see your form and will acquire some bad habits, but if you go slowly, you could still benefit from it. If you were to use a mirror, you could see your poses and compare them to the instructor.

I like Esther Ekhart's yoga for beginners videos. She's very good with beginners, and with more advanced practitioners as well. Here's a link, if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-_aQ5vS9E

Old 09-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks, guys.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:

Are there any other studios with in a reasonable distance? Or possibly a senior center/community center that offers yoga even if it is not their main activity? If you cannot go to a beginner class I think a slow flow would be preferable to Yin (which is all long holds without flow) or a flow class that is too quick for a beginner to master. Usually any lower level class will suffice. Some teachers orient their all level classes towards the lower end of difficulty and it is up tot e student to add the difficulty while others shoot fro the middle and it is up to the student to decrease their difficulty.

And keep in mind you'll be lost the first couple of tires regardless of class set up. I still hit an occasional classes where a pose or sequence finally clicks. And I've been going to classes for several years.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 AM

2 posts, read 841 times
Yep! Great Video & music.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM

I took the first Yoga 101 class last night and I’m glad I waited. Yes, I know I could have found another class before now and it might have been ok and the instructor might have been patient, but Yoga 101 was a class of no one but beginners who knew as much as me...essentially nothing. I also had the benefit of the second instructor going around and helping us with our postures, because none of us knew what good form would feel like. I needed that in particular because there was no path to see myself in a mirror.

Now I can do a beginner flow from mountain to down dog to two warrior poses with a mirror in my house, then go back next week to learn more and improve. I had looked at the Ekland series but I’m glad I’m going this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness