Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

I have a wonderful butt, a flat stomach, hardly any cellulite, and toned arms - so no, it wasn't a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 01:45 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
6´tall 250 pounds and can do 10 to 12 in good form. I am a bit out of shape but years of climbing helps. I know good climbers who can hardly do any though.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am thin and fit. I exercised throughout my whole life, started as a child. I was good at track and field and volleyball.

Right now I am going to gym 2x per week, 2 hours each. I use 20 lb dumbbells for bi/triceps exercises and 110 lbs on the legpress currently.

I am not able and was never able to do a pull up. Not even close.

maybe because I am very tall?
I'm 5'10". Not in perfect shape yet, but working towards it. I played the same sports in HS as you, plus lifted weights, did long distance cycling, downhill & xc skied, and played racquetball in college.

As boxus said, you will never do a pull up with that schedule. 110 lbs on the legpress? Increase those weights girl.

I train 4-5 days/week for 1.5-2 hours. I've been doing pull-ups for about a year. I'm always trying to increase my reps. I was happy this week to do 3 sets of 5 each. If you want an idea of how I train, check the "workout, what did you do today" topic. It's all there. But, I would highly suggest, if you really want to do a pull up, start with lifts to work your lats, shoulders & upper body. I think the specifics may have already been covered in this topic.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM

I never said that I trained towards doing pull ups.

I don't. I train for overall health and staying in shape. I am not a hardcore weightlifter or gym freak. I go twice a week and I also do recreational bicycling, hiking, running, surfing, skiing, etc. But not competitive, just for fun.

The question was, WHO CAN DO PULL UPS - My answer "I can't and not sure if it is because of my height."

And I actually don't see many guys at my gym who can. They sometimes hang around the pull up bars in groups and try and half of them are incapable.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
I never said that I trained towards doing pull ups.

I don't. I train for overall health and staying in shape. I am not a hardcore weightlifter or gym freak. I go twice a week and I also do recreational bicycling, hiking, running, surfing, skiing, etc. But not competitive, just for fun.

The question was, WHO CAN DO PULL UPS - My answer "I can't and not sure if it is because of my height."

And I actually don't see many guys at my gym who can. They sometimes hang around the pull up bars in groups and try and half of them are incapable.
I would never consider someone who cannot even do one pull up to be in good shape.

A person is not a hard core weight lifter nor a gym freak if they can do one pull up; many people who never even stepped foot in a gym can do one pull up. Just even stating the terms "hard core" and "freak" show that you are put off by the fact you have worked out so much, yet now discover it has been highly inefficient, so you must resort to name calling to make yourself feel better about your lack of accomplishment.

Of course your quesiton was answered, and you got mad about the answer. You cannot not do a pull up because you are too weak to do one, not because of your height.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM

Huh? I call myself an animal freak and hardcore house music fan - nothing bad about that. If you are doing something every day or excessively, you are a ... freak or hardcore ... in my eyes - without offense.

I don't have the physique to be naturally strong. I don't work out excessively, because I don't need to be super strong. I have a nice body, which is what I wanted to achieve..I push more weight as the average woman at gym but I push less than the daily training women with 6pack and super fit body. If I train really hard, I might be able to do pullups, but I don't, because it doesn't matter to me.

I am sorry that I even answered this poll, didn't know now I am in trouble because I can't do pushups.

So let me try again --- OF COUSE I CAN DO PUSH UPS, WHO CAN'T? ONLY PEOPLE WHO NEVER WORK OUT. SHAME ON THEM.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Huh? I call myself an animal freak and hardcore house music fan - nothing bad about that. If you are doing something every day or excessively, you are a ... freak or hardcore ... in my eyes - without offense.

I don't have the physique to be naturally strong. I don't work out excessively, because I don't need to be super strong. I have a nice body, which is what I wanted to achieve..I push more weight as the average woman at gym but I push less than the daily training women with 6pack and super fit body. If I train really hard, I might be able to do pullups, but I don't, because it doesn't matter to me.

I am sorry that I even answered this poll, didn't know now I am in trouble because I can't do pushups.

So let me try again --- OF COUSE I CAN DO PUSH UPS, WHO CAN'T? ONLY PEOPLE WHO NEVER WORK OUT. SHAME ON THEM.
A term can have different meanings depending on how it is sued, it is obvious you used these terms in a negative way.

Anyway, I do not care if you can or cannot do a pull up, I know a few men that cannot do a pull up; what the reaction to was your anger over being told that it was not height keeping you from doing one, but your lack of strength. If you would have just accepted that then fine, but you got mad at the response, then went into explaining how in shape you are, yet not being able to do one pull up contradicts your claim of being in shape.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM

I was joking, I actually giggled at your first response, that's why I only put and a there and didn't add any text.

But whatever, it doesn't matter. If people tell me next time I look fit, I will tell them, I am not in shape.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
never really thought about it until a few weeks ago. decided to start doing pull-ups one day. did about 10 in a row. that was about 10 more than i could do in high school

Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
now I am in trouble because I can't do pushups.

He he he, the topic is PULL-ups, not PUSH-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness