Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM

375 posts, read 296,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I agree, so long as I stick with it and am fortunate enough to avoid serious injury.
Wow....18 at 67, eh? That's a pretty high percentile, man. I reckon only about one out of 100 guys over 60 could do more than ten real pullups. Shoulder strength is the biggest strength loss area in the elderly, in case you're not aware.

Eighteen pullups for a 50 year old is excellent, and would be in the 90th percentile for THAT age group!

I think many people think they can do more pullups than they really can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Shoulder strength is the biggest strength loss area in the elderly, in case you're not aware.
Been well aware of that since my middle 40s! My shoulders were NEVER a strong point. My body has alwasy been graced with narrow shoulders! My biceps are my strong point. I can still curl 60 lb dumbells for 5 or 6 good quality, no swinging reps.....on a good day. Most days I top out at 50 pounders for 12 to 15 good quality, no cheat standing reps or 12 reps doing concentration curls.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-14-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 05:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Wow....18 at 67, eh? That's a pretty high percentile, man. I reckon only about one out of 100 guys over 60 could do more than ten real pullups. Shoulder strength is the biggest strength loss area in the elderly, in case you're not aware.

Eighteen pullups for a 50 year old is excellent, and would be in the 90th percentile for THAT age group!

I think many people think they can do more pullups than they really can.
Probably. In my case I could probably hit 25-26 tomorrow if someone asked me to and with a couple weeks prepping for it I'd crack 30. As for doing it at 60+, who knows. Cosmic Wizzard doesn't seem to have any problem with it. I'm not saying I'll be able to, but I don't see myself suddenly stopping with my fitness pursuits just because I get older.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't see myself suddenly stopping with my fitness pursuits just because I get older.
I tip my hat. Age is a lame EXCUSE for being unfit!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I can run 10 miles, I can do 75 situps no problem, 40-50 push ups, no problem, swim laps 30 mins, ride a bike 15 miles @ 15 mph no problem, I lift light weights every other day, but can't do a single unassisted pull up. It's really a back exercise, isn't it along with triceps maybe?

I'm working on it with progressions but right now only assisted. Even as a kid, couldn't do them. Twig arms perhaps?

I think 99% of the population couldn't do one properly.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:12 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I can do between 10 and 15 pullups 3 to 4 sets. I can do more if my workout only consists of pullups and dips. I'm 67 and have exercised all my life, so it's not really a big feat for me. I workout most every day weights and cardio. I spend lots of time in a gym or jogging around lakes and trails. It concerns me the majority of people my age, have no interest in physical fitness. You should see the ones in the retirement community, where I live here in Florida. Its a disgrace people n their 50s and 60s look as they do. Obese and lazy. I seriously doubt they could do 1 pullup, when they were 25. I have no peer group in this area. After seeing ths crowd I'm thankfu I chose a different path in life.

So my view is the percentage of people is probably very low. Sadly even with the younger set. As I see a number of them in the gym that lack strength and are overweight. Many of them seem more interested in their phone, than actually working out. Very sad.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:17 AM

BucFan...if you can do all those other things, don't worry about pull-ups. You are doing great.

Pullups is primarily an upper back ( lat ) exercise, with the biceps playing a big part as well. There are other muscles involved too, but primarily the lats and biceps.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm 67 and have exercised all my life, so it's not really a big feat for me. I workout most every day weights and cardio. ... It concerns me the majority of people my age, have no interest in physical fitness. You should see the ones in the retirement community, where I live here in Florida. Its a disgrace people n their 50s and 60s look as they do. Obese and lazy. .... After seeing ths crowd I'm thankfu I chose a different path in life.
Same age as me, and similar approach to life!

Frequently, I see what appears to be an older guy working out. I am stunned during a conversation when I discover that the guy is only in his 40s. He even talks about how hard it is to workout at his age. Just goes to show that aging ocurrs not just in the body, but also between the ears.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:21 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Same age as me, and similar approach to life!

Frequently, I see what appears to be an older guy working out. I am stunned during a conversation when I discover that the guy is only in his 40s. He even talks about how hard it is to workout at his age. Just goes to show that aging ocurrs not just in the body, but also between the ears.
I completely agree. Between the ears also. I've also noticed people looking much older than they are. 40s is way to young to look old and find workouts difficult.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I completely agree. Between the ears also. I've also noticed people looking much older than they are. 40s is way to young to look old and find workouts difficult.
At the same time, you don't always know what they went through. They might have had a major injury in the past that prohibits them from working out without pain. A lot of elite athletes are done by the time they are in their 40s. It can happen to anyone. We just have to hope that it doesn't happen to us and wish well upon those who are not capable of working as if they were without injury. Sometimes, no matter what you do or what you think you know about healing, you still doubt. That's when faith comes into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness