Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Overweight people need as much encouragement as possible. The list was generalized but they have to start somewhere.
Here is the deal, people who truly want to lose weight will. They will find a way to make it happen and become dedicated to the cause. Others wont. But they will whine about it and give you a million and one excuses as to why they cannot lose weight. And we have heard them all before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Don't be so dismissive of walking. I lost 50 pounds in about 5 months just doing a low carb diet and walking 6-7 total miles a day (including around the house). I now ride my bike 10-20 miles a day and am in great shape but starting slow and building over the long haul yielded excellent results in a relatively short amount of time.
I wasn't. But, fifteen minutes worth is something ridiculous.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I wasn't. But, fifteen minutes worth is something ridiculous.
Well that's probably true. I set aside 1-2 hours a day for it and just built up what I could do in that amount of time.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Well that's probably true. I set aside 1-2 hours a day for it and just built up what I could do in that amount of time.
When I was in grade school, the gym teacher lost 100 pounds+. All he did was walk at a fast pace for three miles a day.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Don't be so dismissive of walking. I lost 50 pounds in about 5 months just doing a low carb diet and walking 6-7 total miles a day (including around the house). I now ride my bike 10-20 miles a day and am in great shape but starting slow and building over the long haul yielded excellent results in a relatively short amount of time.
Let's settle this. You did not get in shape by walking. Read your own message at least three times

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
:P Not everybody can be as cute and charming as you are ....or a gym rat.... :P
LOL, appreciate it, but here's how I became a gym rat

1. Woke up
2. Looked into my closet
3. Told myself I needed better clothes
4. Looked at myself in the mirror
5. Told myself I need to get in shape
6. Started my car
7. Found a gym
8. Paid for a starter membership
9. Loaded some music
10. Went to the gym, again, again, again and again, rain, sun, snow, sleet, storm, christmas, mardi gras tuesday, LGBT confetti day, every fricking day, even sunday.

Why can't other people do it when I can do it?????

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Let's settle this. You did not get in shape by walking. Read your own message at least three times
I was dismissive of 15 minutes, but 6-7 plus diet - is beneficial.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM

20 posts, read 37,732 times
why so many american people gain so much weight.....

is it bcs of the fast food kfc...

Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 AM

^

Two words: American attitude

Restaurants want to make money. People are lazy.

A red lobster dish happens to load up 1000 calories for 6.99

Or, Olive garden loads up 1500 for 11.99

Or, some mexican place hands out bowls of tortilla chips over and over and over, bottomless refills, with cheese dips, aside from the main entree loaded with all kinds of stuff. Too much for the calorie calculator even.

Or, some Italian place, regular alfredo sauce pasta is like 750 calories.

Or, the Indian/Chinese buffet, fatties swim in food here. It's like a dream come true. Ethnic foods, America da melting pawt. That's also that fundamental problem, plenty of unregulated ethnic food places serving poison to the masses for cheap.

On top of that, soda, bottomless limeades from red robin, french fries, jalapeno fries, chicken fingers....... and as if this were not enough, people stop by the yogurt, dairy queen place and load of up on a strawberry milk shake, where even the "small" sized version amount to at least 500 calories.

And people never do any decent form of physical activity. Picking mail from the mail box, walking the dog or bending down to take a dump may even be considered physical activity in between the marathon tv, netflix, facebook episodes with a bag of doritos and tostitos dip.

Ever wondered why that Paula on food tv is so fat? She is a fat bomb who may explode some day and she sets the benchmark for the food gone out of control in this country.

Why, go to the Food forum here, you will be AMAZED at the people simply sitting there and speaking about eating a whole pizza, there's even a "half cow" thread right now. Mother Earth trembles beneath them Imagine her agony as these people tread on her over and over

*Again, F word used for a purpose.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 12-29-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Well I lost a lot of weight while just walking. However, you're right that I got in much better shape after switching to cycling. My strategy is to slowly move into more intense activities over time. I'm hoping by 60 I'll be ready for the iron man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness