Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

You know when you get off the regular food routine, your system starts to feel a little awkward and you feel tired and stuffed most of the time, without the feeling of hunger for the next meal. I'm in that phase right now.

It started on Christmas eve and it has been continuing, great food, great pastries and binge eating of specialty snacks which appear out of nowhere in this season.

I personally am working around it by working out and doing maximal cardio as much as possible, sweating my food away. But I feel like I cannot wait for Jan 3rd for the relatives and friends in the my place to leave and get back to their abodes, solely coz I want to get back into my routine.

Always places the fear in my heart as to what will happen when I am in a permanent family. Living alone right now and pretty much living the way I prefer, I know I have complete command over my food habits and exercise time. It's gonnabe hard with a family, and especially the holiday season. It almost seems like everybody has an agenda to fatten you.

It's always the, "oh, you can burn it off" mantra, but the truth is...... staying in control is a habit. A jolt will jeopardize that habit and your body does not know how to deal with the sudden onslaught of food that it hasn't been used to for a long period of time.

I can only say I cardio them away all week. How do others cope with this bulge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 05:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's always the, "oh, you can burn it off" mantra, but the truth is...... staying in control is a habit. A jolt will jeopardize that habit and your body does not know how to deal with the sudden onslaught of food that it hasn't been used to for a long period of time.

I had originally planned to stay away from exercising during the holidays, eat whatever I wanted and just relax. But, I realized that I feel more relaxed when Im working out constantly. I still had tastes of a lot of bad stuff but didnt go overboard. But, I have really cranked up the workouts in the last couple of weeks. I mean BIG TIME. Checked the scale this morning as I got out of the shower - 183.5 pounds at 6' 1" tall.

If I were single, I'd be in soooooo much better shape. I'd have the time to do more stuff, eat what I wanted when I want it and not have to worry about anyone else. Enjoy this alone time bro, it'll be gone before you know it.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I could not wait for Dec 26th to get here. The 2 weeks proceeding it was parties and going out to dinner with lots of rich food. My portions were good, but I am not used to eating such rich food. It made me feel so lethargic. I drank more than I usually do too. I maintained my workout schedule for the most part and I really didn't gain any weight, maybe a pound or two, but it just feels so good to get back to a normal routine. Now I am in training for a triathlon (sprint) in April so its on.
The key is to never abandon ship with the hopes of getting back on track. A lot of people lose their momentum and just give up.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
All I can think of at the moment is working out actually I indulged but now I've gotta get back to my routine. And I have been feeling the same way- like it's just time to cut back, & get moving again. My new addition to the workouts will be yoga, so if anyone knows some good tips for beginners to it, let me know.....

Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
My new addition to the workouts will be yoga, so if anyone knows some good tips for beginners to it, let me know.....
There is an active yoga thread in this forum. I posted a couple of videos there, but really, you HAVE to attend yoga class and be trained by a qualified instructor who will "help" you into the proper alignment/positions.

I am an avid Vinyasa Yoga practicioner.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There is an active yoga thread in this forum. I posted a couple of videos there, but really, you HAVE to attend yoga class and be trained by a qualified instructor who will "help" you into the proper alignment/positions.

I am an avid Vinyasa Yoga practicioner.
I'm going to check that thread out, thank you
One of the people in my massage class is a yoga instructor, so I guess I should check out the actual classes then. I was originally going to try it at home, but if I need to be assisted w/ the alignments it's better for me to just go...
Btw, Vinyasa Yoga is what I want to learn

Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Most of the action seems to happen in the evening so I just eat less earlier in the day to compensate. I also make sure I get my 1-2 hours per day of cardio. I'm not sweating it as I haven't seen much movement on the scale. The holiday indulgences seem to be allowing me to just keep up with my level of activity.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
I know what you mean about being single, living alone. I'm the same way. I'm in control of my healthy food and workout schedule. But when I'm over at my parents place (about 45 minutes away), these things are out of my control.

But you've got to just say no to those sweets/pastries. A fattening meal is still food (especially if it's home made), with stuff (fats, carbs, protein) that your body can actually use. So I don't think meals are generally the problem. But seriously there's little to nothing that your body can use from cakes and pies and candy and cookies, etc. This is where people run into the most trouble when it comes to weight gain, eating things with ZERO nutritional value.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
I eat whenever and whatever I want. Furthermore, I'm in the military, so I don't get to celebrate holidays like everyone else. I worked Wed-Tuesday on Christmas week/weekend/following week. 14 hour shifts.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You know when you get off the regular food routine, your system starts to feel a little awkward and you feel tired and stuffed most of the time, without the feeling of hunger for the next meal. I'm in that phase right now.

It started on Christmas eve and it has been continuing, great food, great pastries and binge eating of specialty snacks which appear out of nowhere in this season.

I personally am working around it by working out and doing maximal cardio as much as possible, sweating my food away. But I feel like I cannot wait for Jan 3rd for the relatives and friends in the my place to leave and get back to their abodes, solely coz I want to get back into my routine.

Always places the fear in my heart as to what will happen when I am in a permanent family. Living alone right now and pretty much living the way I prefer, I know I have complete command over my food habits and exercise time. It's gonnabe hard with a family, and especially the holiday season. It almost seems like everybody has an agenda to fatten you.

You're always in control over what you eat, regardless of holidays. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying "Eat this cookie, or else....".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness