Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Oh, I didn't mean you, to each their own of course! It's perfectly natural you would want a partner who shares your interests and lifestyle. My post was more towards the OP and those who echoed him, in stating that ALL women NEED to want to be strong and muscular and should care about that and athletic performance rather than appearance. Not everyone needs it or should make it a priority, people are different.
Thank you, I like you. We think alike. I don't know why many Humans need to think of things in all-inclusive or binary manners. Everything is subjective to each unique individual.

I'm glad someone actually acknowledged my posts without taking it as an insult, I'm not used to that!~ ^_^

Thank you for that!~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Women absolutely need to include some weight lifting as part of their workout especially when they get older.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I think most women do not want to look like figure/BB models of course, but I think they also don't understand how hard it is to get to that.

Take for example, a previous photo saying "I don't want to look like that":
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx...atv8o1_500.jpg

This is Nicole Wilkins-Lee, Miss Figure Olympia x3. This is like saying "I don't want to golf like Tiger Woods" ~ you're not going to look like that without decades of training with professional coaches Simply unattainable without decades of training and a wee bit of test (not a lot, that propels you into BB territory, but a bit...)

Long story short, you cannot accidentally end up like Nicole. It's quite funny that so many women believe they can though (because most of them also cannot tell the difference between 'bulky' from too high body fat and 'bulky' from actual muscle).

I have been asked in the past, 'wow, do you do JM's shred??? you look toned!' and I just chuckle. No, I've done powerlifting for years. If there is one person who hasn't done the shred, it's JM herself. That is NOT a body built from 5lb dumbbells

Old 07-31-2013, 04:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I also do believe this attitude changes as women age. Early 20s girls, most of them would rather be stick thin than be slightly overweight (and I'm sure most would prefer a 'slightly toned' physique) ~ once you get into your 40s and your ass isn't up where it belongs, it suddenly kicks in "oh, I guess I should have done some weight training!!!".

Years of being skinny without any muscle will catch up to girls so you might as well start learning the basics early on! 115lbs without muscle at 21 isn't going to look so great at 41!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
I love having muscles! I'm 61 and do more muscle workouts than cardio. I use the resistance machines at the gym and do my dumbbells, pushups, triceps dips, use ankle weights, etc etc etc at home.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 PM

I don't know why so many Humans are so obsessed with appearance and how they look.

I'm more concerned with what can you DO. Can you out-run/climb/physically get away from a predator of ANY kind? Can you climb to safety if your area floods? If a predator does try to kill you, that you do have some possibility of overpowering, can you overpower it? Do you have the capability to survive any potential threat without prior notice?

These are the questions I ask. Not: "Oh I wish I looked like a bodybuilder or that I was 20 years younger, what can I do to gain muscles that will have absolutely no practical application whatsoever?"

Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I also do believe this attitude changes as women age. Early 20s girls, most of them would rather be stick thin than be slightly overweight (and I'm sure most would prefer a 'slightly toned' physique) ~ once you get into your 40s and your ass isn't up where it belongs, it suddenly kicks in "oh, I guess I should have done some weight training!!!".

Years of being skinny without any muscle will catch up to girls so you might as well start learning the basics early on! 115lbs without muscle at 21 isn't going to look so great at 41!
I'm with you on this! I always had tough legs because I was a skier and loved to dance, but my overall strength level was pretty bad. My husband tells me that I had a perfect body to START training back then, but am much more strong now. As I get older, I still don't know the right way to do everything and I just work at it. It is awesome to see that my body is just not ready to be entirely old and still wants to build some tone.

Plus, it did not hurt me at all changing up my body to keep that sexy man amused with me! 20 years and climbing.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I don't know why so many Humans are so obsessed with appearance and how they look.

I'm more concerned with what can you DO. Can you out-run/climb/physically get away from a predator of ANY kind? Can you climb to safety if your area floods? If a predator does try to kill you, that you do have some possibility of overpowering, can you overpower it? Do you have the capability to survive any potential threat without prior notice?

These are the questions I ask. Not: "Oh I wish I looked like a bodybuilder or that I was 20 years younger, what can I do to gain muscles that will have absolutely no practical application whatsoever?"
You are assuming that the only reason people workout and do muscle building is for looks. At 61 my motivation has been mainly to be fit and healthy, to fight off becoming frail, stamina, strength, bone density, being less prone to injury when muscles are stronger. I won't deny that part of the motivation is that clothes fit better and I look better.

On a recent trip a group of us were walking up a steep hill to visit a castle. Only two of us were not huffing and puffing and struggling to get up the hill--my husband and I.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You are assuming that the only reason people workout and do muscle building is for looks. At 61 my motivation has been mainly to be fit and healthy, to fight off becoming frail, stamina, strength, bone density, being less prone to injury when muscles are stronger. I won't deny that part of the motivation is that clothes fit better and I look better.

On a recent trip a group of us were walking up a steep hill to visit a castle. Only two of us were not huffing and puffing and struggling to get up the hill--my husband and I.
Finally, it's Humans like you that give me hope for the rest of the species. Maybe more than 70% of the entire Human species WON'T die off, might be reduced to around 50% at best, if the species as a whole were to be tested by a global threat.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Also, as a reply to those who make remarks about "being old": you get what you put in and you use it or you lose it.

In other words, if you don't use your muscles of course your going to be weak. You're not going to be an Olympic athlete "magically", I don't care how young you are. "Being young" doesn't "magically" give you "muscles of steel". If you just sit on your bum your entire life, of course when you reach older years of graying hair you're bones are going to become brittle.

There are some people well over their 60's mark who can outrun someone in their 20's. There's no "reverse magic of age here". Some older people like to TAKE CARE OF THEIR BODIES AND STAY HEALTHY, VERY HEALTHY. I can't say the same for many of today's "youth" and "next generation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness